The Student Room Group

Higher English

Hi,
I'm in fourth year at the moment and I chose my highers just a few weeks ago. I chose higher english, but I'm quite nervous about it. How much of a step up is it from SG? (Btw,in the prelim I got a 1 in writing and a 2 in CR (couple of marks away from a 1 though)
Reply 1
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Hi,
I'm in fourth year at the moment and I chose my highers just a few weeks ago. I chose higher english, but I'm quite nervous about it. How much of a step up is it from SG? (Btw,in the prelim I got a 1 in writing and a 2 in CR (couple of marks away from a 1 though)

I personally didn't find the step-up too big, but I know a few people who found it extremely difficult. If you're getting 1s, then I honestly wouldn't be too nervous. :smile: I would work on as you are.
Our school does English at Int 2 level, because the jump up to Higher is supposedly less from from Int 2 than Standard Grades. I don't know how much of a difference it really makes, but some girls transferred to our school this year from doing SG English and they're finding the Higher course extremely difficult. But then again, you're sitting on a pretty comfortable prelim grade, so I'd say Higher English shouldn't be too big a problem for you!
Reply 3
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Hi,

If you're getting 1's in Credit English now, it might not be too big of a jump up to Higher. For me, I was always average at English as in grades in the subject, achieving a 2 in Standard Grade. I was always sort of between a pass or a fail. So when I took Higher English, I found all the work confusing, and I didn't have a clue what was happening at first. Although once you get a jist of the course and actually do work in class (unlike me) you should be fine.
Thanks everyone!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending