The Student Room Group

Higher Computing Coursework Task Help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Nope. You pretty much just make it up. :smile:

Is there any extent of detail one should go to? For example, if a step required some specific processing of a string in the language I'm using, but in many languages it's considered simply one thing, should I go to painstaking detail describing each line of code or can I cut corners a little?

Out of interest, what percentage of the final grade is decided by part 1 or part 2? Could I, in theory, make a pig's ear of part 2 but still get an A due to my work in part 1? How about vice versa? I don't plan to need such brinkmanship, but it'd help me sleep to know whether or not it's possible.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Lenina
For example, if a step required some specific processing of a string in the language I'm using, but in many languages it's considered simply one thing, should I go to painstaking detail describing each line of code or can I cut corners a little?

Can you be more specific? I'm inclined to say 'cut corners' - pseudocode should be fairly generic (although, in practice, tends to be at least imperative) and shy away from language foibles. Here's an example that might be how I'd do one element of it, for example:

is_valid(input : IN String) : OUT Boolean
input := LOWERCASE(input)
FOR EACH character IN input
IF character =/= 'a' AND character =/= 'b' AND ... AND character =/= 'f'
RETURN FALSE
END IF
END FOR
RETURN TRUE
Reply 82
Can you be more specific? I'm inclined to say 'cut corners' - pseudocode should be fairly generic (although, in practice, tends to be at least imperative) and shy away from language foibles. Here's an example that might be how I'd do one element of it, for example:

RETURN FALSE
END IF
END FOR
RETURN TRUE

That's close to the style and detail level of my initial attempts, but the examples on the HW Scholar website, which my teacher asked me to use for examples, are much, much more corner-cutting and based almost entirely in natural language, so I didn't know which way to go. I think I'll use my original intuition. Thanks!
Reply 83
Hey,
Can anyone help me with finding maximum value in Visual Basic ? I have done mostly of the program but I am using global variables at the moment instead of subroutines. Is it possible to find max with global varibles ?

Thanks
Reply 84
Original post by damianz
Hey,
Can anyone help me with finding maximum value in Visual Basic ? I have done mostly of the program but I am using global variables at the moment instead of subroutines. Is it possible to find max with global varibles ?

Thanks

I don't see why using global variables would prevent you from finding the maximum value, so long as you are not accidently ammending or updating the variables. To find the most crashes, you would simply use the find maximum algorithm, and then another If statement, stating that whenever the current position in the level counter matches the value for max crashes, the current position in the array should be taken into a selection statement where the number for the level will be mathced with it's name, e.g. if the current position was 1, the level would be "A". After the case statement you would simply print the level. All of this should be placed in a fixed loop (looping through each level), apart from the find maximum algorithm.

Hope that helps.
Reply 85
Yeah, it helps. I will try to do it on Monday....I think.

Thank you
Reply 86

RETURN FALSE
END IF
END FOR
RETURN TRUE

Any chance you could give me a little help? You seem to know what you are doing so I'd really appreciate it!

I do not know how I will go about counting the amount of times each level crashes? I understand that I have to use arrays, but how exactly do I distinguish an "a" from a "b" etc. :s-smilie:

Please help
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Its Me :D
I do not know how I will go about counting the amount of times each level crashes? I understand that I have to use arrays, but how exactly do I distinguish an "a" from a "b" etc. :s-smilie:

One fairly straightforward way is to have a second array which just has the counts for each character (so e.g. the first element is the number of occurrences of 'a'). Does that help?
anyone know how to do pseudocode for step 1?
Reply 89
starting this coursework aswell. I totally suck at programming. Wish me best of luck. I shall come here and ask for help if needed.
Finished this program today, too me long enough, but my sheer persistence paid off. My advice to those who are struggling, is to not overcomplicate things, and ask for help in class as well.
Reply 91
One fairly straightforward way is to have a second array which just has the counts for each character (so e.g. the first element is the number of occurrences of 'a'). Does that help?

Yeah that helped thanks! :smile:
Reply 92
I get what to do, but its just i can't code it..
Original post by bah21
I get what to do, but its just i can't code it..

What're you finding a problem? :smile:
Reply 94
nvm :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Regarding Part 2, I have one Desktop computer, but I can't find another which meets the specifications. For anyone that's willing to help:

Minimum Six Core Processor
Minimum 6Gb RAM
Minimum 1 Terabyte of backing storage
Sound Card with Surround Sound capability

Help?
Reply 96
Hi guys,
I managed to get the getinputs, validation and also the counting occurences sorted, and also its displaying right.
although i don't know how to enter in 3 inputs and store them in 1 array. can someone help me?
i try to do it in a different sub procedure, but it just overlaps the result.
Original post by bah21
although i don't know how to enter in 3 inputs and store them in 1 array. can someone help me?

You'd need to explain what you've got so far in more detail. For example, what does this one array contain?

i try to do it in a different sub procedure, but it just overlaps the result.

Overlaps?
Reply 98
sorry guy's im living in a dreamland here..
I just realised about a minute ago after looking at my sheets again.
you don't really need to put 3 inputs (3input boxes) in 1array and i was trying to do that for the past 1hour..
Reply 99
hi, so i've pretty much finished all the coursework however im stuck at the algorithm and stepwise refinements. i got some help from one the computing teachers at my school and suggested that my first step is "set up arrays" but how would i refine that (im crashing this at higher, with no teacher by the way). thanks

Quick Reply