The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL psychology

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
I have just came back from UCL biochemistry open day today(29th), and the first thing the professor said was to tell us to relax because everyone in the room has got an offer from ucl already. The reason they dont tell us is that we dont get arrogant and not go to the open day, and I mean the open day was great fun and I got meet a lot of people.

So what I am saying is congrats and hope you will enjoy the open day :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by kimja
Sorry, I know this question has been asked a million times before, but does an invitation to a UCL Department Open Day definitely mean you will get an offer if you attend?

Just checked my email and discovered I've been invited to (and will obviously be attending :biggrin:) the Psychology open day on the 21st March. I'm absolutely over the moon at the thought it could mean I have an offer, but I really don't want to get my hopes up! The general consensus seems to be it does, but I still can't help believing it's all a bit too good to be true! :colondollar:

For those who have been on one, is there any sort of interview involved at all? Or is it literally just a chance to visit the department and talk to the staff/students?

Thank you!

Last year, it definitely meant you had an offer and there was no interview at all. This year seems to have followed the same pattern as last year (there have been UCAS open days on the equivalent Wednesdays to last year) and I have seen people leaving looking happy so I would assume that it is the same :smile:.
Reply 542
Thank you everyone :smile:

If I could pick your brains a little more, I replied to the initial email on Wednesday confirming I could attend, but haven't heard anything more since. Should I just assume that they now know I'm attending or try to email again to make sure? Sorry, it's the bit in the email about 'failure to confirm your attendance will mean 'your application will be taken no further' that's worrying me! Also, are you expected to take parents with you? The email made it sound quite student focused, but my parents would still like to come if that's possible.

Thanks again!
Original post by kimja

If I could pick your brains a little more, I replied to the initial email on Wednesday confirming I could attend, but haven't heard anything more since. Should I just assume that they now know I'm attending or try to email again to make sure? Sorry, it's the bit in the email about 'failure to confirm your attendance will mean 'your application will be taken no further' that's worrying me! Also, are you expected to take parents with you? The email made it sound quite student focused, but my parents would still like to come if that's possible.

Thanks again!

There were a couple of parents at the open day last year. The first lecture might be of interest to them in terms of student satisfaction, course content, career opportunities etc. but apart from that it's really just taster sessions of labs and lectures which they won't be able to participate in. I'd advise against bringing them.

Yes, no reply I would assume means they know you're coming. Nearer the date (unless done so already) they will email you with a timetable of what the day includes and directions for getting there.
Original post by kimja

Thanks again!

At the February open day I saw some parents sitting around the Psych department looking pretty bored. It was very student based last time, although there were parents there.
I'm so happy I found this. Can someone please please pleeease help me. I applied mid January but before the 15th January deadline. On 2nd February I received an email asking me to complete a questionnaire. It's now mid March and I have yet to hear anything from UCL :frown:

I should also add I'm a gap year student. I got A*A*B which I know falls short of their entry requirements but I hoping the second A* compensates for the B and if it concerned the admissions team that much surely they wouldn't have sent me the questionnaire?

Is there anyone out there going through or who has been through the same thing? Have I missed out on the open days hence not going to receive an offer? I'm pretty much in a constant state of panic these days :'(
Reply 546
Hi i'm a year 11 student and very interested in studying psychology at ucl.
I was just curious, is work experience a vital part of an application for psychology? And how competitive is it compared to medicine? Also what sort of scope is there (preferably in the health sector) for psychology graduates?

I'm hoping to achieve 3 A*s, 4 As and 2 Bs. I have also chosen bio, chem, english lit and psychology at A level, do I have a decent chance? If not what other uni's would you reccomend?
Thanks in advance I could really use the help :smile:
Reply 547
Original post by tiajacob
Hi i'm a year 11 student and very interested in studying psychology at ucl.
I was just curious, is work experience a vital part of an application for psychology? And how competitive is it compared to medicine? Also what sort of scope is there (preferably in the health sector) for psychology graduates?

I'm hoping to achieve 3 A*s, 4 As and 2 Bs. I have also chosen bio, chem, english lit and psychology at A level, do I have a decent chance? If not what other uni's would you reccomend?
Thanks in advance I could really use the help :smile:

Work experience is not important at all. It's hard to get work experience for psychology, so instead they just want to see you doing psychology related things. Like I went to these public psychology lectures (I live in Denmark, so I don't know if you have similar things in the UK). I also read some books (at least 2) like you have to do for every subject. What's really important to emphasise (at least a tiny bit) is that psychology at UCL is a bachelor of SCIENCE. I.e. you recognise that there will be some neuroscience and stuff, and it's not only theoretical. It says this on the UCL website somewhere, that this is very important to the admissions tutors. I got an offer from UCL this year, and I focussed a lot on the scientific aspects of psychology in my personal statement. A girl from my school also applied, and she had 1 grade higher than me, but wasn't made an offer - I assume because she didn't focus on the sciency bit, since she is a very smart student ..

Psychology is apparently one of the most competitive courses at UCL along with medicine, economics and law. If you go on the the FAQs section of the UCL psychology website, they write that in 2008/2009 they had 1600 applications for 110 places. This year they only have 100 spaces and probably more applicants since they generally increase every year. But keep in mind that they do give more offers than there are places since they know that some people wont make the offer and others will choose a different uni :smile: So if you have the grades, you should definitely apply to UCL! I look up the admissions stats for medicine and there are actually less applicants per place for medicine than psychology but I'd still say medicine is more competitive since you are up against a load of seriously smart people and you have to go to interviews and what not .. :smile:

You definitely stand a decent chance with you grades and subjects choices :wink:
Reply 548
Original post by CathrineS
Work experience is not important at all. It's hard to get work experience for psychology, so instead they just want to see you doing psychology related things. Like I went to these public psychology lectures (I live in Denmark, so I don't know if you have similar things in the UK). I also read some books (at least 2) like you have to do for every subject. What's really important to emphasise (at least a tiny bit) is that psychology at UCL is a bachelor of SCIENCE. I.e. you recognise that there will be some neuroscience and stuff, and it's not only theoretical. It says this on the UCL website somewhere, that this is very important to the admissions tutors. I got an offer from UCL this year, and I focussed a lot on the scientific aspects of psychology in my personal statement. A girl from my school also applied, and she had 1 grade higher than me, but wasn't made an offer - I assume because she didn't focus on the sciency bit, since she is a very smart student ..

Psychology is apparently one of the most competitive courses at UCL along with medicine, economics and law. If you go on the the FAQs section of the UCL psychology website, they write that in 2008/2009 they had 1600 applications for 110 places. This year they only have 100 spaces and probably more applicants since they generally increase every year. But keep in mind that they do give more offers than there are places since they know that some people wont make the offer and others will choose a different uni :smile: So if you have the grades, you should definitely apply to UCL! I look up the admissions stats for medicine and there are actually less applicants per place for medicine than psychology but I'd still say medicine is more competitive since you are up against a load of seriously smart people and you have to go to interviews and what not .. :smile:

You definitely stand a decent chance with you grades and subjects choices :wink:

Thank you! That definitely helped a lot :smile: I'm going to try to look for work experience anyway-just to increase the odds :smile: thanks again!
This thread calmed me down a little. I've been so anxious to get anything back from UCL as my other unis have already replied... I've replied to their questionnaire by 20th November and I've been on my tiptoes since then... -.- I guess I'll just calm myself and wire into my brain to stay patient till jan-feb at least

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending