The Student Room Group

Stockholm School of Economics MSc Finance applicants

Scroll to see replies

The swedish system works that if you get accepted to your first choice then you automatically get rejected from your 2nd, 3rd and 4th. So that is why some of your status may have changed.
Reply 61
Still seeking news. :wink:
Reply 62
The big day :biggrin: We should have official results in 4 hours.
Original post by lego
The big day :biggrin: We should have official results in 4 hours.

Just got an email that I was accepted to the MSC General Management. Still to hear from the Finance programme.

Still very good news!!!

Good luck to the rest of you.
Reply 64
Yey, offer for MSc Finance (CF or IM). So happy now. And on top of that, I received an email from Bocconi MSc Finance offering me a full merit scholarship (tuition + accommodation) 30 minutes ago. Would be a really tough choice.
Reply 65
Original post by slct
Same here! offers from SSE MSc Finance and from Bocconi with merit scholarship :smile:

+1! :smile:

However, for me the choice is simple --> SSE.

Congratulations all!
You gotta be kidding me: all people who posted here got accepted:biggrin: (including me)
Reply 67
Offer!!!

Is there a facebook group?
Reply 68
Nice one. I've asked to join.
Reply 69
got denied. undergrad top 10%, CFA, and boat load of recent extra math courses( wanted quant finance UCLA but have to move to Sweden). However I am 30+ GRE was M 80% and V 70% 4.5 that puts GMAT at 670.

Feedback please
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 70
Anyone else who accepted their offer?
After some consideration I chose SSE over Bocconi. If the bloody Italians did not have 1000 ****ty rules about the deposit and the scholarship renewal I would have gone there probably. Still, I am excited about SSE, let's hope the winter is not so bad.
Reply 71
I have accepted yes. In fact I am taking a two day trip to Stockholm next week to check out the city and the school in preparation for moving in August.
Reply 72
Original post by slct
Are you going to start looking for accommodation as well?
Somehow their 3500SEK per 8 squares meters in Johannesgatan seems a lil bit overpriced

That what you need to expect at least my friend! I am from Sweden and live in Malmö which is only 3rd largest city. Still students here can pay 3000-5000 SEK for just a room or a small apartment. I guess that Stockholm is even pricier due to the fact that it is a larger city and I know that their housing prices are highest in Sweden.

Good luck!
Reply 73
I don't think I'll have time to look for private housing but I might try to sneak a look at the SSE housing to see what it's like.

I've already put down my choices for SSE housing, but I think maybe once living in Stockholm it will be possible to find an alternative and move into something cheaper.

Anyone got any suggestions for how I should spend my two days?
Reply 74
hi, i'm an italian student and i'm considering applying for this program next year. how quant do you think is it, if compared as example to the msc at imperial? i'm really looking for a program with a strong quantitive focus.
Reply 75
Uhm, you don't want to go to Bocconi or what? It's as quantitative as you can get from a straight MSc Finance course, and one of the few with a Quantitative Finance specialization. Of course you can do a degree in Quantitative Finance, not just a specialization, but this might limit your employment options a bit. E.g. if you decide to apply for M&A someone might ask why did you take so many courses which teach you how to price complex derivatives, etc. On the other hand, if you do the straight Finance degree you can simply omit the specialization in Quantitative Finance from your CV. I love the SSE curriculum, in fact I chose it over Bocconi for the exact reason you should consider Bocconi more carefully - Bocconi was too quantitative for my taste. I don't think there is a more quantitative program in Europe labelled as a straight MSc Finance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by lego
Uhm, you don't want to go to Bocconi or what? It's as quantitative as you can get from a straight MSc Finance course, and one of the few with a Quantitative Finance specialization. Of course you can do a degree in Quantitative Finance, not just a specialization, but this might limit your employment options a bit. E.g. if you decide to apply for M&A someone might ask why did you take so many courses which teach you how to price complex derivatives, etc. On the other hand, if you do the straight Finance degree you can simply omit the specialization in Quantitative Finance from your CV. I love the SSE curriculum, in fact I chose it over Bocconi for the exact reason you should consider Bocconi more carefully - Bocconi was too quantitative for my taste. I don't think there is a more quantitative program in Europe labelled as a straight MSc Finance.

i know the msc in finance at bocconi is one of the best in europe and maybe its curriculum is exaclty what i'm looking for, but i would strongly prefer to pursue my postgrad studies abroad. i think that i have to consider how this experience could effect on me as a man rather than a student. are you actually a student at sse? i simply love the corporate finance specialitation, M&A is my final goal. i don't want to pursue a degree in quantitative finance, i'm just looking for a program with a great attention on corporate finance but that at the same time could give me a strong mathematical knowledge.
Reply 77
Oh, I see. You are certainly right that studying abroad has a lot of benefits and changes your character for the better. In fact, I am from country A, I did my BSc in country B with an exchange in country C, and now it's quite possible that I'll do my MSc in country D, going on an exchange again in country E. It's awesome :biggrin:
I'm not a student at SSE... yet. I might be in about 2 months depending on the results from my final exams.
My advice is to carefully examine the curriculum of all the programs you are interested in, because there is a bit of a trade-off between your two goals - focus on corporate finance / quantitative program - and decide what will be the best option for you. In my opinion, a good two-year program in continental Europe (so basically SSE/HSG as you don't want to go to Bocconi) might suit you better than the programs in the UK. As you know, in the UK, MSc Finance are one-year generalist programs, so they are quite short and don't require prior finance knowledge, and thus it will be harder for you to fulfil both of your goals.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by slct
what I heard is that for those who got 99/99 it basically means admission; others on the waiting list have lower scores;
one thing to mention is that I have also applied to the MSc in Accounting and Financial Management and MSc Management; both of these are still In-Progress. Only the Finance option has changed.
and with 760 and 680 it's easy to believe about getting the offer

Hi, slct! You said that you had applied to three different programs of SSE. My question is how to write a single statement of purpose for the three programs? Because we are only allowed to submit one statement of purpose, aren't we? This is bothering me for a long time, and I would appreciate it if you could answer my question.:confused:
Reply 79
Original post by slct
I wrote a statement for each program :smile: basically it was the same statement, but the ending paragraph was different for each of the three programs

So it is ok to submit more than one statement? Cuz I learned from the website that we are only required to submit one set of documents...

Quick Reply

Latest