The Student Room Group

Inns of Court chat

Hello all!

(I have had an account on this site before but have only been lurking recently!)

Just a thread for general chat - all Inn's students are of course welcome for chat/questions about scholarships, dining and BPTC shenanigans.

I'm a member of Lincoln's Inn and received my BPTC scholarship interview letter on Saturday, is anyone else attending an interview with Lincoln's Inn? :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey,

Yeah i got the same. whoop whoop!!!

Where you from??

What do you reckon they will ask us in the interview??

Am assuming, the recent new headliners soooooo gonna be either an dicussion on the newspapers breach or the life imprisonment of the UK's most dangerous!!

What are your opinion??
Reply 2
(I've now made this a general Inns chat thread).

Great!
I'm from the UK but have lived abroad a lot! You?

If you have facebook - this page is a nice indicator of the type of questions to expect at the Inn's (look under 'Notes' and you'll find more). http://www.facebook.com/notes/inns-of-court-scholarship-tips-icsts/interview-tips-for-middlers/202403689801374

What day is your interview? Mine is on the 13th March :smile:
Reply 3
I have got one too at lincolns. I hope i get a lord Mansfield scholarship.
Reply 4
Mines on the 14th!! I wonder what they will ask us?? No ofcourse your from the U.K but what uni and what institution?! What time is your interview? I hear some interviews are at 8pm- thank lord mine aint. Dya dare me to be a dare devil and go in with a bright pink suit?
Reply 5
Mine is earlier than that thank god, but I believe they are all in the evening (or at most, late afternoon).

Not that prestigious but I have a good CV and various/varied experiences so hopefully my 'merit' is to their liking!

Where do you go to Uni? Oh I'm sure that will impress - nay - DAZZLE them! :wink: (But seriously... if you want to be taken seriously then I would lean towards a more traditional colour...!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
I attend Man met. I really fo hope it goes well!! My academia is absolutely crap but my CV looks Awesome!! Yay check up Lincolners out i cannot wait to be dining in lincolns!!!

You might wanna check this link out:

http://pupillageandhowtogetit.wordpress.com/2011/03/03/inn-scholarships/
Reply 7
Hi there... i was waiting to be accepted in a bptc school before applying to an inn.....and i was hoping you guys could help me decide on an inn? I am leaning more towards middle temple though but what are the chances of being accepted?
Reply 8
Apologies for my lack of posting - inundated with coursework at the moment.
Happy to have been accepted by my three choices for the BPTC, now the tricky decision part :P

Hi Jazzy - did you apply for a scholarship at all? If you did/have an interview it might be worth choosing that Inn. There is not much to it when it comes to selection criteria as far as I'm aware.
Have you visited any of the Inns? It came down to it for me that I had attended a Christmas lunch at Lincoln's (as well as having a slight family connection) so that was the reason I chose it. They all have a very rich history and great architecture and are all obviously fantastic communities of barristers - look at their websites.

Why do you want to choose Middle Temple?

As far as being accepted- it is a pretty standard procedure, for mine there was a short application which I downloaded and had to get two persons of standing (academics at my University) to testify to my good character. I then sent a payment later to confirm my entry to the Inn/intention as to the bar as a student member and received my student card.

A word of caution; I would apply as soon as possible (i.e. now) because the deadline is in 2 months and it can take that long to process the whole thing (mine took a matter of weeks).
Reply 9
Original post by tnedutS waL
Apologies for my lack of posting - inundated with coursework at the moment.
Happy to have been accepted by my three choices for the BPTC, now the tricky decision part :P

Hi Jazzy - did you apply for a scholarship at all? If you did/have an interview it might be worth choosing that Inn. There is not much to it when it comes to selection criteria as far as I'm aware.
Have you visited any of the Inns? It came down to it for me that I had attended a Christmas lunch at Lincoln's (as well as having a slight family connection) so that was the reason I chose it. They all have a very rich history and great architecture and are all obviously fantastic communities of barristers - look at their websites.

As far as being accepted- it is a pretty standard procedure, for mine there was a short application which I downloaded and had to get two persons of standing (academics at my University) to testify to my good character. I then sent a payment later to confirm my entry to the Inn/intention as to the bar as a student member and received my student card.

A word of caution; I would apply as soon as possible (i.e. now) because the deadline is in 2 months and it can take that long to process the whole thing (mine took a matter of weeks).

I agree with law student and I am a proud member of the honourable society of Lincoln's Inn too but I only joined them because they had a huge chunk of cash to give away and the barrister I was following, on the week of deadline for the scholarship, persuaded me!! I got an interview with them soon so fingers crossed!

To be honest, they are only worth making a choice on for one particular reason- scholarship. Apart from that they are all the same- save from minor differences such as food or location. If scholarship isn't your main reason then choose the one all your friends are going to. That was what I was adviced.

Yay got 2 out of my 3 choices for the BPTC so yay!! One rejected me Because my reference arrived too late so I was like you bunch of BASTURDS!!
Reply 10
Original post by tnedutS waL

Thanks both of you. Scholarship is not an issue so I suppose I may choose the ones which my friends choose.

I'm leaning towards middle temple mostly because I heard that their dinners are free (student, tight on budget etc :tongue:) However I know for a fact a lot of people from my country are members of Lincoln's Inn. So this would be good networking wise. I'm hopefully making my trip down to london for a visit on the 17th of April and would definitely be applying by the end of the month.

On a side note, I received offers from CoL Birmingham and Manchester Met, my 1st and 3rd choices. However after reading certain comments about CoL Birmingham on this forum, I'm starting to re-think my decisions. Any of you have any input by any chance?
Reply 11
Just thought I'd weigh in -

Middle temple dinners are not free! They might perhaps have some cheaper qualifying sessions than Lincoln's but unfortunately, no inns have free dinners!!

This year, Middle probably had the worst admin, especially at the beginning, a lot of students were complete unaware of the introductory events and they haven't been great with their sponsorship/mentorship scheme but that's just the impression I've had.

I am at Lincoln's so I have to say I am biased but it is the largest inn and the most international if that's of interest to you. Generally, that it is the reputation that Lincoln's has, and Middle and Inner Temple are known as predominantly British.
Reply 12
Ive joined Lincoln's Inn too! I just thought overall they looked to be the most 'classy' if that is the right word! Now I'm just having trouble choosing which provider to do my BPTC and also thinking about accommodation is rather stressful! :frown:
Inner Templar here... though I'm near the end of the bar course now.

Hi anyway... :smile:
Reply 14
How did everyone's interviews with Lincoln's Inn go? Care to share what was asked? Mine was solely on mooting.

I think they are all finished now - as it was only meant to be last week.

I think we hear just before Easter. Good luck!
Reply 15
did anyone have a Scholarship interview?? if yeah then how'd it go?? what did they ask you??
Anyone from Inner got a Scholarship/Exhibition?
Reply 17
Original post by j.azhar
did anyone have a Scholarship interview?? if yeah then how'd it go?? what did they ask you??

What day was yours?

Mine was fine, spoke about my mooting. How was yours? What did they ask?
Reply 18
Hi guys, I had an interview at Lincoln's this week.

I'm not going to lie, it was tough and I got a bit of a grilling but I think that this was the case for everybody. I had the chance to speak to some of the other candidates both before and after the interviews and I get the impression that people largely had the same sort of experience.

If I'd not have seen any other candidates I would have come out thinking it went terribly. I came out of the room with a smile on my face, however, and there were a few people who came out looking as if they were about to burst into tears! So, all things relative, it probably went ok.

edit: I'm surprised you only got asked about mooting. I got asked about my last moot and they seemed satisfied with my answer and didn't have anything to say so moved on. I got asked about an area of law which I found difficult but enjoyed, I got asked to come up with an idea for a piece of parliament legislation, and I also spent a lot of time talking about my job.

I wish that my watch hadn't stopped so I knew exactly how long that interview was!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
When was you guys at Lincoln's?? Mine was on Wednesday 14th at 6.40!!!

I got grilled so badly that I don't really wanna talk about it!!! I got asked bare random questions!!!

They asked me about my volunteering experience so that was ok.

Then they asked me about my crap A-level grades and I was okay with that bit too!!!

Then they asked me when was the last time I had mooted and I says a year and a half ago. Then they asked me for the facts of my last moot which I swear to god I gave a really puzzled bunch of facts and then he goes, "what was the main cases" so I was like "carlill and carbolic smoke ball co and Partridge (I couldn't think of the second party in that case)" and then he asked me for the facts of Crittenden V partridge- once again a very very very confused synopsis of that case was given and just to be a little bit more "pain in the ass" they asked me for the judges in Crittenden v Partridge?.... (I was like wtf), Nevertheless I said, "I am sorry I do not remember them because it was so long ago." Then just to mess my mind up more they asked me to moot there and them like I mooted in my previous moot without any notes or preparation time or even a fixed bunch of facts!!!! so I just collapsed erred a very poor performance. they was like okay moving on....

Then they started asking me about my education and what subject do I like on my degree and I was like my dissertation because it involves me to go out and look at football matches etc and I swear we got into a massive argument on that and all I remember of that argument was that at one point I was saying the law is effective and ... [until after 60 seconds I was given a word that means effective by the panel]

so all in all I do not think am getting a scholarship!!!

Quick Reply

Latest