The Student Room Group

Why do women find the "ripped look" attractive?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by frenchfries

Then again he could be chatting **** :wink:

I'm a good judge of character :wink:

And to be honest.. although money and class don't always go together... you can usually tell whether somebody is working class or middle class quite easily. Even their body language is different.

Back to topic... I'm not a huge fan of 6 pacs personally... They can look amazing but I don't think they're as comfy... They're certainly not something I'd consider important when choosing a partner. I like tall men with nice big arms and shoulders. Mr Big <3
:colone: Cause their fun to touch.
Original post by Dark Horse
Customary TSR response #1: do not generalize. :wink:

Then why not just -y'know- not generalise?
"Do not generalize" is nothing more than a crutch for people to use in "debate" when they have nothing of substance to say. :smile:

Nah, it indicates that the person to whom they are responding has fallen into the trap of using an elementary logical fallacy. Because if you make a generalised statement, all your opponent has to do to destroy it is find just a single person who falls into the category of 'woman' but does not find these kinds of men attractive.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 84
It has occurred to me before that there seems to be no real reason why being "ripped" would indicate a high-status male. So why do women find it more attractive than, say, someone who looks a little flabby?

I'm just theorizing here, but back in ape days, surely the leader of the tribe would not go out to hunt? If lion culture is anything to go by, the rest of the tribe would go out to hunt and be under the orders of and wait upon the tribal leader. And common sense dictates that the hunter-gatherers would be more ripped than the tribal leader?

Perhaps that's it? The tribal leader can have the pick of the women and being ripped indicates a lower status and therefore more likely to be single?

This is some terrible theorizing, please don't try it again unless you've grown a brain cell!
Original post by vox001
I don't know :/
Personally I'm partial to someone on the weedy side myself :colondollar:
I can't really think of a biological reason for that though.

Awwwww :smile:
Maybe because you don't want "ripped" babies :colondollar:
It has occurred to me before that there seems to be no real reason why being "ripped" would indicate a high-status male. So why do women find it more attractive than, say, someone who looks a little flabby?

I'm just theorizing here, but back in ape days, surely the leader of the tribe would not go out to hunt? If lion culture is anything to go by, the rest of the tribe would go out to hunt and be under the orders of and wait upon the tribal leader. And common sense dictates that the hunter-gatherers would be more ripped than the tribal leader?

Perhaps that's it? The tribal leader can have the pick of the women and being ripped indicates a lower status and therefore more likely to be single?

Original post by Aack
I'm pretty sure that the dating world does not have precedents set by monkeys.

Women like what they like - it's their own personal preference, probably highly influenced by media and nurture.

It's true that women like what they like. And same for men. But it does not mean that the basic instinctual factor has disappeared completely!

A lot of attraction is based around phermones and body shape, size and movement.

As for the OP idea about the hieracy of primal animals, in todays world it could play boths ways:
a.) the fitter male, ie ripped, looks healthier hence women are instinctually sttracted to them.
b.) or they also could be choosing the ripped men because it shows they have more money. Normally being healthy means you have free, spare time - and spare time suggests financial freedom.
Original post by littleone271
I'm a good judge of character :wink:

And to be honest.. although money and class don't always go together... you can usually tell whether somebody is working class or middle class quite easily. Even their body language is different.

Back to topic... I'm not a huge fan of 6 pacs personally... They can look amazing but I don't think they're as comfy... They're certainly not something I'd consider important when choosing a partner. I like tall men with nice big arms and shoulders. Mr Big <3

Agree on this. I think it's fairly easy to tell what class/background a person is from just by speaking to them.

HOWEVER, that is not a generalisation and there are obviousley exceptions to this.
Reply 88
Original post by Eveiebaby
I don't like the ripped look either. I don't like extremes of size. I like slim built men with natural bodies.

So if you work out you are no longer have a 'natural' body?
Reply 89
Exactly, the question is WHY? Why does the ripped guy's visible muscles make him so compelling to the ladies? :smile:

I want to feel protected and that if anything happens, my man will take care of the situation. The guy with the bank balance might be hopeless in certain situations, so physical security is more important than financial one.
But that's just me.
Reply 90

The hunters won't be 'ripped' though - they'll be hungrier than the alpha male from having to run about, they'll get less food as the alpha male gets first pick. As soon as one of these hunters does become 'ripped' enough to take over, he will, and there will be a new (ripped) alpha male.
"Do not generalize" is nothing more than a crutch for people to use in "debate" when they have nothing of substance to say. :smile:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Art-Always-Being-Right/dp/1903933617

Bring the fight to them, brother.
Original post by itzme
I want to feel protected and that if anything happens, my man will take care of the situation. The guy with the bank balance might be hopeless in certain situations, so physical security is more important than financial one.
But that's just me.

that makes more sense. Having muscles AND being ripped means the ability to have the aggression to store physical strength in muscle (a form of environmental currency) AND the being ripped means that the strength storage is still currently operating at a reasonable efficiency.

Having been built up myself and survived a lot of scrapes having grown up in a hard environment, i find that women who like me for these attributes tend to be pretty shallow. I keep myself pretty much covered up, and have a nerdy dress code, as I dont want a woman like that to be drawn to me. Anyway i let myself go physically a bit the past year, as i realised its just a stupid primal social signaling game. Far from putting other men off, your build actually attracts trouble.

jeez i got far better things to do with myself now, or at least thats what i say. yet every so often I miss the adrenaline of lifting the iron and having dangerous confrontations :colondollar:
Original post by effofex
Actually - just because I am in the Netherlands doesn't mean I can't speak English fluently.

In fact, in your earlier post you missed out an apostrophe!

your English is lacking and by that I mean, you may understand how to form a sentence but you read the sentence too literally

when people say "bank balance" they mean to say "a rich guy"

hence it's easy to tell you learnt English formally and not spend significant time in England
BTW i should add that in my experience, the most dangerous men, are the really skinny ones who wear tracksuits a lot and appear like they have no muscle. They have very fast spatial reactions, and no problem at sticking a blade or other deadly move on you.

AND your muscle will provoke them, just for you having that, as they can be pretty paranoid about testing everybody who looks the slightest bit capable.
We don't?

That's like saying "Why do men find big-titted peroxide blonde babes attractive?" - not everyone does. It's just a hollywood image of what's attractive that isn't very realistic.
Evolution would dictate that the most attractive man is the one who can run fastest. So the very tall and not ripped but quite muscular. And this is what in my experience most women find attractive in general. There are exceptions, of course. I'm a sucker for for child bearing hips, talk about conforming. :wink:
Well, you could say the same for a large proportion of guys (fearfully close to generalising, but whatever) who prefer the toned look over a chubbier girl.

I'm by no means saying this is what all guys think, but when you have a lot of guy friends that have no qualms in pointing out a girl's so called flaws, (because, shock horror, every girl hasn't got the svelte physique of an Amazonian dancer) it appears this is the preffered look. Slightly de-railing here, but I only know a handful that think otherwise, and mostly, this is because these sort of guys are the unripped specimen who can't afford to be too choosy.

To answer your question, some girls do, some girls don't. The media does a lot to make these sort of images attractive to people though, so that's probably why. And plus, women, (and men,) instintively look for a healthy partner - an attribute that is often reflected through a decent physical appearance.

Ah, society.
Original post by dulciemae

Ah, society.

exactly its a load of tosh.

how many of you have gone for a greener looking grass then realized the hard way that its personal compatibility that trumps all that junk people spend so much time getting all fetishistic over ?

Its like new cars. Ever noticed that the reliable car which is easily affordable seems depressing to have than the latest styling which seems amazing and will make you happy. yet when that reliable car was the latest 5 years ago, it was dazzling and the previous cars seemed depressing ?

Some kind of mind trick to do with differences we perceive, standing out from a crowd. The current cars are actually styled like the cars of 1950.

We get this with human physical appearance and trends. Perhaps im just getting past it, but what a waste of resources bothering with such piffle. It just distracts you from the good things in life.
Reply 99
Original post by Retrodiction
Then why not just -y'know- not generalise?

Original post by Retrodiction
Nah, it indicates that the person to whom they are responding has fallen into the trap of using an elementary logical fallacy. Because if you make a generalised statement, all your opponent has to do to destroy it is find just a single person who falls into the category of 'woman' but does not find these kinds of men attractive.

You still haven't told me if your any good at rock-climbing, brah. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest