The Student Room Group

To all graduates: What did you do for the first year after graduating?

As I'm uncertain as to what to do now I've nearly finished university, I'm just wondering what you all did after graduating.

Did you...
Move out?
Move back home?
Get a graduate job?
Complete a masters/other postgraduate qualification?
Get a non-graduate job?
Get an internship?
Travel?
Volunteer?

Thanks for your replies in advance.
:bump:
Reply 2
Original post by *Boofle*
As I'm uncertain as to what to do now I've nearly finished university, I'm just wondering what you all did after graduating.

Did you...
Move out?
Move back home?
Get a graduate job?
Get a non-graduate job?
Get an internship?
Travel?
Volunteer?

Did a Masters, if I hadn't I would have travelled again though for a year.
I spent a few months working in a shop quite happily but still applying for 'proper' jobs. After 4 years I liked working for the first few months but I knew I'd need to get a career started quick enough. I went back to uni after a year to do a top up (get registration to work in another area). I didn't want to move home though. I put off doing a Masters too as I want to get started in a job first.
Reply 4
Started searching for a grad job literally the day after my exam, and started working a month after.

If I had my time time, I'd probably have chosen to go on a long holiday (1-3 months) before starting work. You realise how precious free time is once work takes over your life. Although with the current economic climate, getting a job first thing was still a smart move.
Reply 5
Bump
Reply 6
Moved back in with my parents and I work for their firm.
I moved back home, started a part-time MA and did an internship with the London Symphony Orchestra :yes:

Did you...
Move out?
Move back home?
Get a graduate job?
Get a non-graduate job?
Get an internship?
Travel?
Volunteer?

I graduated with a masters in engineer (it was a straight 5 year course, so didnt have to decide whether or not I wanted to do a masters) and in the engineering industry myself and all my friends had our jobs lined up by April (we graduated in June) so we knew we had a job to go to and just made the most of our last biiiig summer! I had 3 offers from lecturers to do PHD's for them and the job offer, so I had to decide between those but I was a bit sick of the sight of uni by the end haha so went for the job.

What are you graduating in? You might find it beneficial to do work-related volunteering or part-time work if you think it'll help you get a job if you're otherwise struggling? Volunteering would be great too, perhaps not for the c.v. if they expect related experience, but it's always a great thing to do!

I never moved back home as I think I'd genuinely kill myself! Too used to the independence and freedom! Also my home town is rubbish!

Good luck!
Reply 9
Once I graduated my BA I started my MSc.

Before I had even finished that, I got a place on a grad scheme, so I did both at the same time for a while. Now I am doing my CIMA :smile:

Did you...
Move out?
Move back home?
Get a graduate job?
Get a non-graduate job?
Get an internship?
Travel?
Volunteer?

I'm being sponsored by a law firm to train as a solicitor, so I'm doing the GDL conversion and getting paid for it :smile:.

Did you...
Move out?
Move back home?
Get a graduate job?
Get a non-graduate job?
Get an internship?
Travel?
Volunteer?

I graduated last year and went on to go do another qualification. Most people from my year who didn't carry on studying are working in shops, bars, hospitals etc whilst they're looking for grad jobs. Not so easy to get into now I'm afraid :frown:
I moved back home with my parents, which isn't ideal, and in a way I hate it, but finances keep me from getting my own flat. Plus I cannot be bothered to work full-time. I still have the same Part time Sainsbury's job that I had whilst I studying.

My degree is worthless, even if I applied for another job I wouldn't tell them that I had a degree. I went to uni as a hobby, and I would do so again if it was not bloody expensive! Not everybody wants a career, you know.
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
I'm being sponsored by a law firm to train as a solicitor, so I'm doing the GDL conversion and getting paid for it :smile:.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage to secure such a thing?
Original post by electric-wars
If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage to secure such a thing?

Umm, a lot of luck I suppose. I've a 1st class IR and Politics degree and have had positions of responsibility during and before uni.

I did several formal stints of work experience last year (run to assess potential trainees) and I got lucky.

Many big law firms offer sponsorship as part of their training contract package.

If you're interested, check out the legal career section of this site.

Also look at the Law Society website, lawcareers.net and lawyer2b.co.uk
I haven't graduated yet, I will have in a couple of months, and I'm moving back home and working for a year (job already lined up) to save up for an MSc next September. Would have gone straight to Masters if I could have afforded it, but sadly I couldn't.
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
Umm, a lot of luck I suppose. I've a 1st class IR and Politics degree and have had positions of responsibility during and before uni.

I did several formal stints of work experience last year (run to assess potential trainees) and I got lucky.

Many big law firms offer sponsorship as part of their training contract package.

If you're interested, check out the legal career section of this site.

Also look at the Law Society website, lawcareers.net and lawyer2b.co.uk

Thanks a lot for your help.
I'm hopefully about to study Philosophy & IR so hopefully I will be able to follow in your footsteps and try to get some work experience along the way.
Original post by electric-wars
Thanks a lot for your help.
I'm hopefully about to study Philosophy & IR so hopefully I will be able to follow in your footsteps and try to get some work experience along the way.

Best of luck. Feel free to message me about anything now or along the way.
Moved back home and then went out to Eastern Europe to chase up some job opportunities. They didn't quite come to pass (one job fell through, the other one wasn't what I was expecting), so after 5 long months of moping around at home waiting for a career to fall in my lap (and not making any serious effort to look for stopgap jobs) I decided on a whim to take a CELTA course and apply for English teaching jobs abroad. Secured a job a month later, and flew out to deepest Asia two months after that. One year after graduating I was living and working in an incredibly beautiful and exciting country, had learned a hell of a lot more about life and myself than I ever had at university, faced some tough challenges and generally grew up and more independent very quickly while having a ball.

In retrospect, I wish I'd taken a solid 2 months after university to go travelling and then searched for an office job near where I lived before moving away- or alternatively taken the job in Prague even though it wasn't what I was expecting it to be- I have a 5 and then 3 month gap on my CV with nothing to show for it. I'm now in full-time employment though and think I've done enough since then to make up for this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending