The Student Room Group

Who has felt lonely at University???

Lonely at University....people always talk about the lifestyle of Uni saying its fantastic and something to not miss out on but there are ppl who don't go out at all...these ppl aren't talked about vry much and they feel lonely

anyone feel like this at Uni??

Scroll to see replies

Most of the time.
Why do you feel this way? Do you just find it hard to make new friends with people at uni?

I'm not at uni, but I'm a loner so I worry whether going to uni for a social life would be worth it if there's a chance it doesn't improve.
Reply 3
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Why do you feel this way? Do you just find it hard to make new friends with people at uni?

I'm not at uni, but I'm a loner so I worry whether going to uni for a social life would be worth it if there's a chance it doesn't improve.

everyone is different and I will admit that you do have to make an effort in order to make friends at University...talk to ppl such as flatmates and coursemates to start off with and see where things go from there...guess its all down to u wanting to meet ppl and make friends...most do....some dont
Reply 4
Everyone has times of feeling lonely at university, even (especially?) the people who go out all the time and appear very outwardly confident. It takes a while to make good friendships where you can be honest about how you feel, so you spend a lot of time putting on a front of being happy because you don't want to admit weakness or moan to people you've just met. There's a lot of down time and it's important to keep yourself busy. But times of feeling lonely can make you appreciate the friends you have - both those at home and the new ones you've made.
Reply 5
too true
I feel lonely sometimes, but usually only when I don't have the radio on, rocking out to Classic FM :awesome:

Yeah, I never 'go out' and I think I'd only feel all the more stupid/ridiculous if I did!
Reply 7
just talk to people and seem friendly. Friends come and go, it is very rare to build long lasting friendships with that person over there, or that one over there etc so don't feel ashamed if you find yourself walking out of a lecture on your own.
Reply 8
Yep, occasionally. My first year hasn't been that wild and I've only made a few friends but that makes me more determined for next year.
Reply 9
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
I feel lonely sometimes, but usually only when I don't have the radio on, rocking out to Classic FM :awesome:

Yeah, I never 'go out' and I think I'd only feel all the more stupid/ridiculous if I did![/QUOT

wish I thought like tht sometimes
Reply 10
Original post by cardine92
Yep, occasionally. My first year hasn't been that wild and I've only made a few friends but that makes me more determined for next year.

Ditto, I'm going to join a society or 2
Reply 11

dont let it make u not xhoose Uni, after all its a career for your future that your after...and a degree
I have made friends at uni, but often still feel lonely
Reply 13
Original post by animalnitrate
I have made friends at uni, but often still feel lonely

I know the feeling I have friends at Uni but I don't have same intrests such as them and don't always go out drinking as much as they do. I get on with them still but do feel lonely sometimes
Reply 14
Being a quiet commuting CS student hasn't really done me many favours in gaining a social life.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by RipperRoo
Being a quiet, commuting, CS student hasn't really done me many favours in gaining a social life.

Spoiler

being quiet hasnt helped me either....ppl think im being rude sometimes lol
Original post by Mrx123
dont let it make u not xhoose Uni, after all its a career for your future that your after...and a degree

Well, it's not just that. It's mainly because I generally dislike studying, I'm not good at it and I can't really think of one subject that I'd enjoy studying for 3 years. The chance of a social life, dating life and moving out are the main things that attract me about possibly going to uni, but the academic side just really doesn't appeal much to me.
Reply 17
Well, it's not just that. It's mainly because I generally dislike studying, I'm not good at it and I can't really think of one subject that I'd enjoy studying for 3 years. The chance of a social life, dating life and moving out are the main things that attract me about possibly going to uni, but the academic side just really doesn't appeal much to me.

well Uni isnt for everybody....perhaps a job or even some travelling would be good for u
Reply 18
I'm not at university yet but I'm a bit worried I might be especially if I'm put into accommodation just with first years! I suppose we can't blame anyone else except ourselves for it though.
I commute, I have lots of friends though but I do feel lonely sometimes especially going home whilst they all go back to halls and stuff.

Quick Reply