The Student Room Group

Online dating - what a useless waste of time.

I have been lurking on a famous online dating site for the past two months now. (It's not that I'm socially awkward, it's just that my job prevents me from mixing in with new folk day in day out.) In that time, I've only seen 15 people that have captivated me - and therefore I messaged - but only one replied, and even that was an "argument" because of her use of the word "deserve".

(Nearly) no one on that has the decency to reply to anything! :frown:

They just read, delete, or even just read and leave it there. I don't get what the difference is - in real life if someone had propositioned would you just ignore them, or would you kindly inform them to fsck off?

This has kinda made me more determined to find someone in the real world!

(What are your opinions of this?)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I meant "opinion of online dating", not "opinion of my rant". Just to make that clear.
Reply 2
i dont get why they didnt reply to you, bit rude i think.
My experiences too. Women on them sites are just rude and don't respond. The women who state that they're after their 'knight in shining armour' need to put their foot on planet earth. Also, let me guess: Plenty Of Fish? The women are the fishermen and the men are simply the dumb fish on that site.

I think that POF should have ratings of reply rates on peoples profiles to avoid wasting peoples time (e.g. 'replies often', 'replies selectively' or 'replies very selectively'). There should also be a certain amount of times you can read without replying to messages either (with the choice of reporting pervy messages, which don't count).

I think male users should all boycott POF because if no men visit their site then they're screwed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Women on dating sites = Women who love getting their ego massaged constantly whilst not actually having to get naked or put any effort in.

2 of my friends signed up for one (females) they are both pretty hot girls with magnificent faces and amazing bodies. One has also snatched up a model contract recently but at the time they had both just been dumped by their boyfriends. dumped = self confidence lowered. So they joined a dating site and got like 100+ messages a day. Didn't reply to any of them just giggled at the weird looking ones.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Knighted
Women on dating sites = Women who love getting their ego massaged constantly whilst not actually having to get naked or put any effort in.

The amount of shameless 'Facebook style' cleavage and boob shots on dating sites is amazing. I understand that women with big boobs can't hide their tits, but jesus... is the obvious focus on tits necessary? Look like a slut on pics and you're more likely to get guys thinking you're a slut. I can't stand those sorts of shots. I think they say a lot about a woman.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
well i live on a remote scottish farm and the only things around me are horse and sheep. hmmmm
I've been on a few for about 4 months.
I've never been good with the opposite sex in real life, and I've had some HILARIOUS depression and bad anxiety problems lately, so I figured this might be a better alternative.

If anything they've made me feel worse and even more crap. Hardly anybody replies, which is kind of...rude, and it's never nice to have the feeling somebody's just scanned your profile and tossed you aside. I thought 'we're all the same boat' would apply to a lot of people, but apparently that's not the case...
I may just pilot a shuttle into the sun and die alone.
Reply 8
Original post by jblackmoustache
Also, let me guess: Plenty Of Fish?

How right you are.

Original post by Knighted

2 of my friends signed up for one (females) they are both pretty hot girls with magnificent faces and amazing bodies. One has also snatched up a model contract recently but at the time they had both just been dumped by their boyfriends. dumped = self confidence lowered. So they joined a dating site and got like 100+ messages a day. Didn't reply to any of them just giggled at the weird looking ones.

Sounds about right, actually.

They complain about "how they want a best-friend & boyfriend" and stuff, "pahahaha - obviously don't want one that badly if that's what you do" is what I think when that happens!
Original post by DamnDirtyGrapes
I've been on a few for about 4 months.
I've never been good with the opposite sex in real life, and I've had some HILARIOUS depression and bad anxiety problems lately, so I figured this might be a better alternative.

If anything they've made me feel worse and even more crap. Hardly anybody replies, which is kind of...rude, and it's never nice to have the feeling somebody's just scanned your profile and tossed you aside. I thought 'we're all the same boat' would apply to a lot of people, but apparently that's not the case...
I may just pilot a shuttle into the sun and die alone.

Same here. I thought dating sites would be a good way to bring my confidence levels back up, but it just ends up making you feel worse.

The feeling when you know someone's looked at your profile and have tossed you aside is painful. The feeling when you aren't even worth a small 'thank you' response :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Same here. I thought dating sites would be a good way to bring my confidence levels back up, but it just ends up making you feel worse.

The feeling when you know someone's looked at your profile and have tossed you aside is painful. The feeling when you aren't even worth a small 'thank you' response :frown:

Tell them you earn 100k - they'll be the first to initiate :ahee:. As a black/mixed race guy I presume.. - you won't do too well on sites like POF/OkC anyways, barely any black girls I heard and as for everyone else.. well you know the story by now. No whitey, no lighty.

It's unfortunate but with dating sites - looks count for 80-95% of the decision for a girl to message/reply to a guy.
Reply 11
The amount of shameless 'Facebook style' cleavage and boob shots on dating sites is amazing. I understand that women with big boobs can't hide their tits, but jesus... is the obvious focus on tits necessary? Look like a slut on pics and you're more likely to get guys thinking you're a slut. I can't stand those sorts of shots. I think they say a lot about a woman.

Lol. The hilarious thing is that it's always those girls who have the self-righteous caveats at the end like:

'If you're just after sex, do one I'm not interested'
'Fed up of all the sleazy guys on here just after one thing. If you're one of them, please don't message me.'

You just think: 'Look love, choose your target market and stick with it. I don't go round dressed as a policeman all day and then get all arsey when people approach me expecting help.'
Original post by Spontogical
Tell them you earn 100k - they'll be the first to initiate :ahee:. As a black/mixed race guy I presume.. - you won't do too well on sites like POF/OkC anyways, barely any black girls I heard and as for everyone else.. well you know the story by now. No whitey, no lighty.

It's unfortunate but with dating sites - looks count for 80-95% of the decision for a girl to message/reply to a guy.

Hahaha that made me laugh :lol:

I tend to attract certian women (when a woman rarely messages me), who really turn me off. Also the occasional ugly desperate who wants chocolate stick a stereotypical RnB lounge/thug type black guy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by midlandsman
Lol. The hilarious thing is that it's always those girls who have the self-righteous caveats at the end like:

'If you're just after sex, do one I'm not interested'
'Fed up of all the sleazy guys on here just after one thing. If you're one of them, please don't message me.'

You just think: 'Look love, choose your target market and stick with it. I don't go round dressed as a policeman all day and then get all arsey when people approach me expecting help.'

I might just send a woman that when she has a rant at the end :lol:
My experiences too. Women on them sites are just rude and don't respond. The women who state that they're after their 'knight in shining armour' need to put their foot on planet earth. Also, let me guess: Plenty Of Fish? The women are the fishermen and the men are simply the dumb fish on that site.

I think that POF should have ratings of reply rates on peoples profiles to avoid wasting peoples time (e.g. 'replies often', 'replies selectively' or 'replies very selectively'). There should also be a certain amount of times you can read without replying to messages either (with the choice of reporting pervy messages, which don't count).

I think male users should all boycott POF because if no men visit their site then they're screwed.

OkCupid have this, its a much better site. I used it after a break up just to chat to some women, a few agreed to meet up and I'm ashamed to say I led them on and never ended up meeting any of them...
Reply 15
"I'm on this site because I think bars and nightclubs aren't the ideal places to meet someone."
I joined PoF middle of February, got chatting to a few blokes, was even on the verge of meeting one of them until he stopped corresponding with me. I got bored, so I cancelled my account thereafter after getting strange messages. After hearing from a good friend about giving it another try again, I decided to try my luck again. I got chatting to another bloke, again was on the verge of meeting until he randomly came out with **** of ''I drink, smoke too much'' and etc, and told me I'm too nice and basically stopped all correspondence. I was just about to cancel my account again until I got nattering with another bloke. After a week of talking we met, and we got on so well. The chemistry between us is amazing, and he is so lovely. I am still seeing him and the best bit - I haven't been pressurised into having sex with him, none of that - he's just a nice guy who respects me which I sadly have to admit, not many blokes do!

As an individual, I have no problem whatsoever attracting men - I just got bored and decided to see what the hype with this online dating thing was. I am not the type of girl who ''loves'' herself and etc, like some of you are claiming us women are - I'm just normal :dontknow: lol

I say keep trying OP if you really wish to try online dating . .I do hear though it's not easy for blokes, but keep at it.

Good Luck :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
OkCupid have this, its a much better site. I used it after a break up just to chat to some women, a few agreed to meet up and I'm ashamed to say I led them on and never ended up meeting any of them...

Moron!
What puzzles me also is why women join dating sites to make friends??? WTF why would a guy be on a dating site to make friends??
I've been using OkCupid and it's the same. I've messaged a few saying "Hi how're u doing" and i got no reply. Should i persist?

Latest