The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redbuthotter
Wut, how are you doing em? 60kg should feel like warmup. Tried SLDL? Those fry my hams...

http://healthhabits.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/anterior-pelvic-tilt2.png

figure a is me, got weak sauce hammies, should have hit them properly from day one but i neglected them. going to hit them multiple times per week in order to bring them up.
RDLS fry my hams, just fatigue my back too.... will run some simple LP on them, might add them on fridays as i know texas method allows you to do them on friday.

Original post by commandant
yeh I don't do them either, anything that puts an uneasy load on my lower back I shy away from

for my hammies I do lots of curls (lying, seated) - hammie kickbacks if your gym has the machine. pull throughs are nice too, lunges, also wide stance low box squats seems to hit my hams nicely.

i heard curls only hit 1 part of the hamstring and are not really all that?, i can only do like the 4th block on the hamstring curl machine lol, my mate who hasn't really trained before can do more then me.
will try pull throughs :wink:, really aiming to fix my posture
Watching this vid:
http://vimeo.com/25264828

was a revelation for me when it comes to RDLs. Agreed with Commandant that relatively light weight done for ~10reps can wreck you. I don't do them often (work constraints on the day I do them often means they get missed out. meh) but when I do I really focus on keeping the back set correctly and pushing my hips back. Seems to work, I really feel it at least.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Gallium
http://healthhabits.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/anterior-pelvic-tilt2.png

figure a is me, got weak sauce hammies, should have hit them properly from day one but i neglected them. going to hit them multiple times per week in order to bring them up.
RDLS fry my hams, just fatigue my back too.... will run some simple LP on them, might add them on fridays as i know texas method allows you to do them on friday.

i heard curls only hit 1 part of the hamstring and are not really all that?, i can only do like the 4th block on the hamstring curl machine lol, my mate who hasn't really trained before can do more then me.
will try pull throughs :wink:, really aiming to fix my posture

Fair enough. I did loads of PC work back in the day - try bosu ball GHR's I like that movement.

Now I can't ****ed to do any leg assistance.
fellas i need some good bands for stretching, any recommendations? i heard strength-shop ones snap quickly!
But then again I have untrained friends who can do 50kg SL/RDL's. Sure you're doing em correctly? Given you DL should be double that for 3-5 reps.
Original post by Gallium
reading peoples logs they deadlfit like 160x5 and do rdls with 100kg +, i was like wtf!

Probably were doing them more like a bastardised deadlift than an actual RDL. When I deadlifted 200 x 5 a properly performed RDL of 80kg seemed about right. For assistance I'd much rather take the bodybuilder approach and focus on the quality of the lift e.g. form, muscle contractions and the stretch than just trying to beast up as much weight as possible. No-one gives a **** how much you lift for assistance anyway.
But then again I have untrained friends who can do 50kg SL/RDL's. Sure you're doing em correctly? Given you DL should be double that for 3-5 reps.

I done 60kg for 2 sets of 10, i focus on really pushing my hips back and contracting the muscle, could also feel my lats activating due to keep the bar close to me.
i could do more maybe but back was fatigued as i done heavy squats and rows beforehand.

think i should take videos squatting, maybe i'm not activating the hamstrings fully with the way i squat.
Cept bananas, what's a good carb source to add to me protein shake?
Original post by The Doggfather
Cept bananas, what's a good carb source to add to me protein shake?

oats, buckwheat
Not a big fan of RDL...prefer to just do SLDL and go heavy.
I did like 110kg for about 20 reps. Done that kind of weight/reps a few times.

It's not pretty but it kills you! It's a nice mental strength test too.
Original post by Michael XYZ
I did like 110kg for about 20 reps. Done that kind of weight/reps a few times.

It's not pretty but it kills you! It's a nice mental strength test too.

110kg rdl for 20 reps, thats ridiculous lol! sure you doing them right, i'm only using like 40% of my deadlfit 5rm for 10 or so reps and can feel my lower back and hamstrings getting worked!
Original post by Gallium
110kg rdl for 20 reps, thats ridiculous lol! sure you doing them right, i'm only using like 40% of my deadlfit 5rm for 10 or so reps and can feel my lower back and hamstrings getting worked!

You got a video of how your doing em? There are oly lifters (back in the day) doing em with 300kg (where it originated)

As long as you feel it/loading hams then its fine.

I'll get a vid of mine up later from back in the day.
Does riding a bike screw up squat strength? Ever since I've started riding my bike a fair bit squats seem to have got worse.

Think I'm going to try and ride my bike less or at a slower pace....not sure what to do tbh.
Original post by McHumpy92
Does riding a bike screw up squat strength? Ever since I've started riding my bike a fair bit squats seem to have got worse.

Think I'm going to try and ride my bike less or at a slower pace....not sure what to do tbh.

I swear u do sports? Unless your riding very intensely it shouldn't affect recovery/strength levels.
What's more important for the RDL?

Increased time under tension but having to use a lighter weight, or making use of the stretch reflex whilst doing it with a heavy weight?

Or is this dependent on your goals?
You got a video of how your doing em? There are oly lifters (back in the day) doing em with 300kg (where it originated)

As long as you feel it/loading hams then its fine.

I'll get a vid of mine up later from back in the day.

i do them how ripptoe demonstrated in his video,
I swear u do sports? Unless your riding very intensely it shouldn't affect recovery/strength levels.

Kind of been riding it intensely....I kind of feel obliged too when on the roads. Plus it is fixed wheel and up hills are a constant slug.

Sprinting has no effect on squats, I don't think riding for 20mins is good for my fast twitch fibres either....but it is so cheap and effective way to travel.
Reply 1879
Original post by McHumpy92

Riding a bike will only increase your squat strength

Latest