The Student Room Group

Choosing a degree (geog or lang) and very pushy parents

Blah, resolved.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Who's doing the degree, you or your parents?

End of discussion, frankly.
Reply 2
Where will you be living whilst studying? Will you be expecting financial support from your mum whilst doing your degree? How badly do you think your mum would react to you choosing geography?

If you plan on moving away and you will not be expecting help then I would say you should definitely do geography. If you will be living at home or expecting to receive financial support then i would still recommend you study the degree that feels right, but make sure have ways and means of supporting yourself if your mum decides that she's no longer going to help you out as you've gone against her wishes.

3 years is a very long time to study a degree you dont like...
Original post by josh_v
Where will you be living whilst studying? Will you be expecting financial support from your mum whilst doing your degree? How badly do you think your mum would react to you choosing geography?

If you plan on moving away and you will not be expecting help then I would say you should definitely do geography. If you will be living at home or expecting to receive financial support then i would still recommend you study the degree that feels right, but make sure have ways and means of supporting yourself if your mum decides that she's no longer going to help you out as you've gone against her wishes.

3 years is a very long time to study a degree you dont like...

Actually it'll probably be 4 years haha since I'm looking at courses with a year abroad
Reply 4
You could do a dual honours... your chosen language & geography!
Reply 5
Original post by Somethingundecided
t my mother is really trying to put me off it by telling me it's a lousy degree and I won't have very good career choices, I'll be stuck in that field forever, bla bla bla

You won't be in that field forever. Just long enough to sample 50 rivers.
Reply 6
Original post by Clip
You won't be in that field forever. Just long enough to sample 50 rivers.

I thought that was actually quite a good [if unoriginal] pun by the mother.
Your Mum wants you to live the dream she never could. Don't give her what she wants, unless you want it too.
Actually, it's really easy to get a job outside of geography with a geography degree (you can also read that as "bloody impossible to get a job in the geography field"). Please, please do what you want to do and not what your parents want you to do or you'll just end up miserable.
If you want to do languages then don't be put off by literature. I did a three-language degree and managed to only ever do one literature module (and that one only because I liked the look of it and chose to do it). Outside of Oxbridge it should be possible to do a degree with very little literary content (but you'll probably have to study at least two languages).

Of course, if Geography still interests you more then that should be your choice.

Quick Reply

Latest