The Student Room Group

Public urination

Poll

When is public urination acceptable?

When is urinating in public acceptable? Personally, I'm not fussed provided the urine isn't dribbling across where I'm walking and the smell is strong, but according to that article, some people get so cross about just knowing it happens, that they tried to get a lay-by closed. There's also an environmental factor where swimmers might have contributed to an algal bloom in a river, killing loads of fish.

I'm guessing men would have less of an issue with it, having grown up using urinals, or even troughs that men line up side by side to piss into, thus you see pretty much everything you would from men urinating in public anyway rather than being separated by partitions in cubicles as women always(?) are.

Also, dogs are permitted to piss everywhere without the owner being held accountable. Ramblers will of course need to relieve themselves in the countryside. Quentin from old Top Gear makes a point about it being better to have people pissing at the side of the road than being distracted by a full bladder whilst driving. What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

before I vote how are we defining public in the bushes near a road, in the woods whilst camping or up against the front of a store on a high street
Reply 2
Working in the countryside I have very few other options. Certainly not going to take the tractor half an hour to the nearest toilet. Just sit on the front weights, poo over the side and then run the plough over it. Either that or go in the woods and mark with some blue roll.
Reply 3
Depends a lot...
People pissing into cash machines are obv just doing it to be as anti-social as possible rather than selecting a sensible place.
Reply 4
I marked other because for me it's not about how noticeable. It is about necessity. I have a baby bladder and I make it a point to use a toilet whenever there is one available. If I need to go in public and there are no public toilets available within a suitable radius then my name is going to get written on a sidewalk or wall.

Laws of nature > Laws of society
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
I don't mind, so long as they've not just whipped it out and are pissing in the middle of a crowded street.
One evening In my younger days I was waiting for a train home and I was desperate so I went in a corner of the platform. The trickle made it's way to the edge of the platform so I promptly stopped before it started dripping onto the rails as it probably would have been one of the worst ways to get electricuted.

If it's somewhere that can take it like a flowerbed or bush or something like that I guess it's no bother, but if it's on the street I think of it as a little gross. I have been in London late at night on New years even and been in certain parts where people just line up against the walls. You had to do a hop, skip and jump to avoid the streams of piss running into the road.
Also about 18 months ago I was walking into my local town and there was a guy walking in front of me who was pissing on the pavement, whilst walking and talking on his phone. Who says men can't multi-task?
As long as your hidden and not making a huge mess its ok. If you gotta go you gotta go. I suspect the bladder nazis from the last thread will be arriving soon.
(edited 11 years ago)
Well I can't be expected to wee in my pants can I?
Original post by Left Hand Drive
As long as your hidden and not making a huge mess. I suspect the bladder nazis from the last thread will be arriving soon.

Bladder Nazi's :lol:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I've urinated plenty of times in public.

Where else am i meant to go before a sunday league football match and there are no toilets about, except the bush? :colone:
Reply 12
I occasionally come across young men pissing in the entrance to the playing field in my town where i walk my dog. It's just embarrassing. And then i get angry at the fact that I have to be embarrassed about the situation (not knowing where to look, pretending it's not happing as i walk past them), when they are their ones with their genitals out in public, covering the ground with urine.

If you really are going to burst, fine. Find somewhere secluded. And don't laugh and giggle when random members of the public discover you.
It's pretty gross, no one wants to see it, smell it or otherwise - ok if you've gone for a country work and you pee behind a tree - then that's ok it's not in the middle of town and the liquid will get soaked up by the ground. But making a point, when very drunk, to pee on the threshold of HSBC branches (bastards) is not so cool
When no one's looking!
Reply 15
Original post by TheCaledonian
before I vote how are we defining public in the bushes near a road, in the woods whilst camping or up against the front of a store on a high street

Whatever would get you in trouble with the police if they caught you I guess. I would have said only where someone else could see you or would see your leavings but the couple who wanted to close the lay-by clearly though differently XD
Original post by thunder_chunky
Bladder Nazi's :lol:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

How come only your 3rd post in this thread has the app advert?

Original post by plimsolls
I occasionally come across young men pissing in the entrance to the playing field in my town where i walk my dog. It's just embarrassing. And then i get angry at the fact that I have to be embarrassed about the situation (not knowing where to look, pretending it's not happing as i walk past them), when they are their ones with their genitals out in public, covering the ground with urine.

If you really are going to burst, fine. Find somewhere secluded. And don't laugh and giggle when random members of the public discover you.

Do you just mind seeing them in the act? If it's the urine itself, then your dog probably does it more often :tongue:
Reply 16
U shud experience public urinating at its best...in the only place in the world....INDIA!!
Reply 17
Original post by Hopple

Do you just mind seeing them in the act? If it's the urine itself, then your dog probably does it more often :tongue:

It's just awkward and uncomfortable. Especially as a woman i suppose because urination is always behind closed doors for us, and male urination happens in the magical land we cannot visit next door. And then add the guys laughing and sniggering at the situation on noticing that i have seen them and am having to walk past them, which is kind of intimidating tbh. They've got their junk out in broad day light ffs.

My dog goes around with it all hanging out 24/7 so i'm used to it. (Shameless boy)
Reply 18
Original post by plimsolls
It's just awkward and uncomfortable. Especially as a woman i suppose because urination is always behind closed doors for us, and male urination happens in the magical land we cannot visit next door. And then add the guys laughing and sniggering at the situation on noticing that i have seen them and am having to walk past them, which is kind of intimidating tbh. They've got their junk out in broad day light ffs.

My dog goes around with it all hanging out 24/7 so i'm used to it. (Shameless boy)

You sound like you might be tempted to go in, so I think I should warn you that even with massive troughs to piss into, some men manage to miss. Even if the queues are always shorter :tongue:

Without the sniggering, would seeing this (say against a tree, not a door :tongue:) make you feel awkward/uncomfortable?

I would point out that those guys were probably laughing out of embarrassment and at each other, not at you.
Reply 19
Original post by Hopple
You sound like you might be tempted to go in, so I think I should warn you that even with massive troughs to piss into, some men manage to miss. Even if the queues are always shorter :tongue:

Going by the way lads go on when playing cod you'd think theyre all epiczZzBaDbOyScopeyzz killer assassin sniper, but judging by a pub toilet, most blokes cant hit a half metre target from 25cm.

On public urination, if caught short in the countryside then yeah, no problem, but it's disgusting when the city streets are covered with urine and shop doorways stink of it. This is where public urination becomes antisocial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending