The Student Room Group

Why don't people drink?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OxfordGoBrach
Hate the taste of alcohol itself, tried a variety of alcoholic drinks, hated all of them. All I taste is the alcohol for some reason. I'm not that bothered about losing control of myself either, too.

I think it is a sensitive topic for lots of non drinkers, because whilst you OP may personally not pressure non drinkers, a lot of others do, even if they claim not to. It's worth remembering that whilst it's great that alcohol can open social doors for many people, it can actually also close them for others who don't drink too. It can create anxiety and resentment in non drinkers who feel they can't go out without being hounded and judged (that you're boring/weird even) on why they don't drink. I feel this too sometimes, so shy away from going out from time to time. Depends who with, really.

Its unfortunate people are judged or have to decline nights out, I guess because I am so used to it being part of a night out I couldn't imagine a night out without it. When I'm on a night out and I'm sober, I just want to go home and chill so I always thought thats how others would feel, I guess not.
Original post by magicman1
Anyone who whines about losing control with drink doesn't know how to handle it.

You should know which drinks send you over the edge quick.

Vodka and Sambuca are big culprits here and the club/bar versions are not that strong when compared to the ones you can buy. I also find for myself that downing pints of lager will get you plastered in no time. The sheer volume of gas just seeps into your head and then the liquid gets into your bloodstream.

You can counter act it slightl by eating a lot of carbs beforehand and making sure your stomach has food in it.

I agree, if I don't want to get hammered then I will avoid spirits and stick to beers, and I won't go over the edge quickly. I find it easy, but anyone can achieve that with experience.
Original post by krussel
Why don't you answer what I said to you previously? One step at a time.

You're totally missing the point, I am not saying people have to justify their reasons, JESUS YOU'RE DIFFICULT. I don't expect people to, hence why I am asking on the student room so I can have more of an understanding rather than wondering why some of my friends don't. I never ask why, but I am genuinely interested but obviously I would not put someone in the position where I demand some form of justification. Obviously. That is why I made this thread, so I can prevent myself from being ignorant. So please, stop getting so irate over it. I don't expect people to drink, I don't ask them why, however the advantage of a forum is that you can discuss topics that you may not discuss with your friends. For the record, if someone asked me that about food I'd usually give a reason. Only because I like to justify myself, and yes before you say it I know others don't have to, but unfortunately again I must repeat I do not expect them to justify.

"I know a fair few people who don't drink, and fail to give a reason for it"- that suggests that you have asked people in real life and expect them to give you what you consider to be a valid answer. So don't say now that you haven't. Any reason given for not drinking is a valid one. Everyone has different perceptions of what is acceptable, in my opinion getting plastered once every single week is excessive and unnecessary, but I don't go around telling people "you drink too much"- if I did I wouldn't have any friends.
I think you're the one making things difficult here, not me. You say one thing in your OP and then attempt to deny it in every other post.
In principle I am not against drinking, it's just that I find the drinking culture at most British universities ludicrous and I don't want to be a part of it.
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't drink. Not for health or religious reasons.

I don't drink because to be honest it doesn't appeal to me. I hate the taste (Other than kopparberg) and it costs a lot. I have to go and watch people act weird and stupid and it costs me a hell of a lot. Then I have to stand otuside a club all cold and bored and then fight for a taxi home and then wake up the next day feeling like rubbish.

I just don't get it, why do people think they appear as some interesting super cool person if they go out all the time. All that money I use on days out, nice clothes and awesome stuff. I think I benefit more.

Just my input, not that I don't like going out and drinking a little or that I mind people who go out all the time such as my friends :smile:
The novelty of going out to clubs and getting drunk has worn off for me, did it for a couple of years. Don't get me wrong, I love a drink or two every so often but I don't over-do it. Much prefer going to a bar or pub for a few once a week.

The drinking culture in the UK sucks to be honest and causes so many problems. I really don't see the appeal of going to clubs anymore - overpriced sweat-boxes where people act like ***** because they can't handle their drink.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by elia
Nearly everything is detrimental to your health in excessive amounts, alcohol being one of them. So stop the health bull****.

Hoorah
Original post by MrHappy_J
"I know a fair few people who don't drink, and fail to give a reason for it"- that suggests that you have asked people in real life and expect them to give you what you consider to be a valid answer. So don't say now that you haven't. Any reason given for not drinking is a valid one. Everyone has different perceptions of what is acceptable, in my opinion getting plastered once every single week is excessive and unnecessary, but I don't go around telling people "you drink too much"- if I did I wouldn't have any friends.
I think you're the one making things difficult here, not me. You say one thing in your OP and then attempt to deny it in every other post.
In principle I am not against drinking, it's just that I find the drinking culture at most British universities ludicrous and I don't want to be a part of it.

Yet again you're wrong, I said they fail to give a reason for it because when I ask if they drink they say no but they don't say why, its just left that. So yes, I don't ask why because its evident enough that they don't want to give a reason, otherwise they would have. Indeed any reason is valid, however I was simply interested in these reasons. I am not making anything difficult, I haven't said anything in my OP and then denied it as I have just proven. The whole point was for me to understand why people don't, so obviously I am going to have a better understanding than when I made my OP.
I seriously hate the taste of alcohol. That's my reason behind not drinking.
Original post by TheInformer
The novelty of going out to clubs and getting drunk has worn off for me, did it for a couple of years. Don't get me wrong, I love a drink or two every so often but I don't over-do it. Much prefer going to a bar or pub for a few once a week.

The drinking culture in the UK sucks to be honest and causes so many problems. I really don't see the appeal of going to clubs anymore - overpriced sweat-boxes where people act like ***** because they can't handle their drink.

Hahaha this is one of my favourite replies cause it is true really, a lot of clubs are 'overpriced sweat-boxes where people act like...because they can't handle their drink'. Im really fussy on clubs, and online like a fair few. However I love house parties.
Original post by krussel
Hahaha this is one of my favourite replies cause it is true really, a lot of clubs are 'overpriced sweat-boxes where people act like...because they can't handle their drink'. Im really fussy on clubs, and online like a fair few. However I love house parties.

Yep, paying £5-£10 for the "pleasure" of standing in a hot sweaty dungeon akin to a "meat market" with expensive yet poor quality drinks, unable to talk to people because of the loud ****e music in the company of people who drink far more than they can handle, girls who are real-life 2/10's thinking they're 9/10's. After which you wait outside in the cold for a taxi home to get a few desperate hours sleep to only wake up the next day smelling of ciggarettes, the booze some idiot spilt on you and a monstrous hangover.

Total cost: £40 approx.

Fun: 2/10

Stress level due to *****: 5/10

Next day: hangover from hell.

Don't get me wrong, you can have a good night in a decent club with good mates but there are far FAR better ways to spend a night.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TheInformer
Yep, paying £5-£10 for the "pleasure" of standing in a hot sweaty dungeon akin to a "meat market" with expensive yet poor quality drinks, unable to talk to people because of the loud ****e music in the company of people who drink far more than they can handle, girls who are real-life 2/10's thinking they're 9/10's. After which you wait outside in the cold for a taxi home to get a few desperate hours sleep to only wake up the next day smelling of ciggarettes, the booze some idiot spilt on you and a monstrous hangover.

Total cost: £40 approx.

Fun: 2/10

Stress level due to *****: 5/10

Next day: hangover from hell.

Don't get me wrong, you can have a good night in a decent club with good mates but there are far FAR better ways to spend a night.

Yet thinking they're a 9/10 because you have beer goggles is another downside. I think your opinion is more based on nights out, a house party with all your good friends and drink..would you enjoy?
Original post by krussel
Yet thinking they're a 9/10 because you have beer goggles is another downside. I think your opinion is more based on nights out, a house party with all your good friends and drink..would you enjoy?

Yep, the house parties I've been to have been fun, they're not as frequent though. Bars and pubs are much better for a night. I just think that I've out-grown it having been doing it for 3 years or so. Plus when you're in a relationship like I am, you don't need to go out to pull and would much rather stay in/ go out for a nice meal, go to a pub, go cinema.
Some people on here seem to think drinking alcohol is synonymous with going out to clubs and partying. I don't drink but I go out at least twice a week, and this week for example I went to a club Wednesday Thursday and Friday and then went to a house party on Saturday.
Original post by krussel
Yet again you're wrong, I said they fail to give a reason for it because when I ask if they drink they say no but they don't say why, its just left that. So yes, I don't ask why because its evident enough that they don't want to give a reason, otherwise they would have. Indeed any reason is valid, however I was simply interested in these reasons. I am not making anything difficult, I haven't said anything in my OP and then denied it as I have just proven. The whole point was for me to understand why people don't, so obviously I am going to have a better understanding than when I made my OP.

"Do you smoke?"

"No"

Why should they have to give a reason?
I prefer drugs.
Original post by krussel
Exactly, its good to escape the ordinary, who likes ordinary anyways!?

I like ordinary days...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 76
Drinking does not make things more fun, that's an opinion not a fact.

You say you've asked teetotal people why they don't drink, why should they be obligated to answer you? Would you like it if they had a little mini rant about sobriety then asked why you were drinking? Or if a smoker asked you why you didn't smoke? Some people have different preferences to you. Doesn't give you the right to assume they're boring/from a troubled background/sick

I'm twenty, at Uni, and I go out regularly of various different places. I have as much fun as anyone else, my judgement isn't impaired, I can see my friends are okay, I spend maybe £7-£10 where they spend £30-£40 and I remember it the next day
Original post by MrHappy_J
"Do you smoke?"

"No"

Why should they have to give a reason?

Are you ignoring what I'm saying or something? I said they don't have to OBVIOUSLY. However, I am curious to the reasons as to why I made this thread. They SHOULDN'T have to give a reason, but because of that I didn't know the reason, and would like to understand it because I'm interested in the least malicious way possible. Tbh now I'm actually not even interested, you have driven me insane.
Original post by forgetamine
I prefer drugs.

Elaborate..what drugs?
Original post by hollyhollywood92
Some people on here seem to think drinking alcohol is synonymous with going out to clubs and partying. I don't drink but I go out at least twice a week, and this week for example I went to a club Wednesday Thursday and Friday and then went to a house party on Saturday.

Cool, we established you can have fun without drinking a long time ago, I wasn't debating that. Simply was interested in the preference not to.

Quick Reply