The Student Room Group

Int 2 maths

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by BigChimp
Need some help/confirmation here!

My teacher never taught length of an arc in depth.

All I could remember was length = pi x D / 360 x angle!

So I couldn't remember how to do it with the circumference!

I used my backround knowledge and use diameter=circumference/pi!

I then substituted back into the formula I previously mentioned ! I was wondering if someone could confirm if this would give the same answer as doing it using the circumference?!

You don't need to use the pi x D, since all that does is calculate the circumference, which you are already given. so you end up with:
length of arc/circumference = angle/360
then cross multiply to get the arc length.
Original post by sophiemcbarron
Did you ever get to see the papers?

Nope - not yet, someone had put a picture up but then it was deleted for some reason.

I'll see them tomorrow as my school was shut today, but I'm back at work tomorrow (I'm a maths teacher).
Without a doubt, the hardest paper I have ever seen. I did all the past papers I could do and never saw one as hard as this.
I've been doing Int 2 for two years and I got an A on every past paper.. when I saw this I just couldn't. It was horrific. But then again, my teacher rushed through the entire Unit 3 topic and spent under 50 minutes on each sub-topic. I didn't understand the cosx tanx/sinx question. Was going to do what everyone else had done with the 1's and 0's but it didn't look right to me *slaps head*. I don't even know what an angle of depression is and that global warming question confused the hell out of me. The majority of Paper 1 I thought would've been in Paper 2.

I need to have an angry word with my horrid teacher. She needs sacked. She's not taught us any of what was in the paper bar the box plots.

And on that question on the arc! I put Pi x D when it already gave the circumference! *dies*

I didn't even finish the yacht question. Ran out of time and I started to calculate the wrong side.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Skulduggery
I've been doing Int 2 for two years and I got an A on every past paper.. when I saw this I just couldn't. It was horrific. But then again, my teacher rushed through the entire Unit 3 topic and spent under 50 minutes on each sub-topic. I didn't understand the cosx tanx/sinx question. Was going to do what everyone else had done with the 1's and 0's but it didn't look right to me *slaps head*. I don't even know what an angle of depression is and that global warming question confused the hell out of me. The majority of Paper 1 I thought would've been in Paper 2.

I need to have an angry word with my horrid teacher. She needs sacked. She's not taught us any of what was in the paper bar the box plots.

And on that question on the arc! I put Pi x D when it already gave the circumference! *dies*

I didn't even finish the yacht question. Ran out of time and I started to calculate the wrong side.

I thought paper 2 was decent. Paper 1 was the hardest one by far. I would be surprised if I got even 5 marks in that.
From what I'm reading it sounds pretty difficult. Again, if anyone can produce scans or photos then that'd be great.
Original post by freedom123
can anyone describe what their sin graph was like? :smile:

mine started from below the x asis and went up to 2 and -2 .. confusing ..

what did everyone get for the simultaneous equation one?

i got 60% for the emissions one but at the most (if this is right) it should have been 1 or 2 marks?
the angle question in paper 1 was a joke ... i had no option but to leave it blank unfortunately
Original post by BigChimp
Need some help/confirmation here!

My teacher never taught length of an arc in depth.

All I could remember was length = pi x D / 360 x angle!

So I couldn't remember how to do it with the circumference!

I used my backround knowledge and use diameter=circumference/pi!

I then substituted back into the formula I previously mentioned ! I was wondering if someone could confirm if this would give the same answer as doing it using the circumference?!

it gave you the circumference so you did

C=TT x D
(circumference figure) = TT x ?

so what times 3.14 gave you the circumference.
Reply 89
Original post by itsc0ntagious
the angle question in paper 1 was a joke ... i had no option but to leave it blank unfortunately

I think the first triangle was isosceles so both angels were 28 degrees then you took 180-56=big angle. Then you took 180-124 (the big angle) and got 56 degrees in the triangle you were working out and you already had a right angle in it. I got 34 degrees, i think thats right but i may be wrong..
Reply 90
I think the problem with paper 1 was that everyone panicked. The questions were different kinds than they normally ask, and required you to think more and process tha data - more problem solving - than simply plugging numbers into formulae. You had to take a step back, not panic and think pretty hard.Which is difficult in a 45 minute exam when you had no idea what was going on.
Original post by itsc0ntagious
mine started from below the x asis and went up to 2 and -2 .. confusing ..

what did everyone get for the simultaneous equation one?

i got 60% for the emissions one but at the most (if this is right) it should have been 1 or 2 marks?

for the simultaneous equation i got that they were overcharged £10. Child = 299 & Adult = 425!
Original post by CSM1996
The first part was 36, but you then had to take 36 away from 360 to get your 2nd answer :smile:

Original post by CSM1996
You'll only lose 1 mark out 3! which is still really good because you will get a mark for getting cosx = 4/5 then 1 mark for 36 :smile:

It was 37.. as it came to 36.86 so it was 37, and i just double checked! Sorry if i panick yous guys!
Anyone willing to write out the Paper 1 questions??? Ahhh im panicking now..
What was the answer to the surds question??
For the question on the cliff I done sin then soh cah toa but I got 88 which is the wrong answer will I get any marks ? :/
Original post by AnnaMcHarrie
For the question on the cliff I done sin then soh cah toa but I got 88 which is the wrong answer will I get any marks ? :/

For the sin i think you will pick marks up! I think i got 75 for the answer, not sure if its correct however!
For the length of the arc question.. Was it just: angle/360 x curcumference (was 40 or something) ??????/
Reply 98
I have a copy of the paper 1, but I can't scan it! I can type in any questions if you want them :smile:
Original post by fionax_
I have a copy of the paper 1, but I can't scan it! I can type in any questions if you want them :smile:

Would be muchhhhhhhhhhhh appreciated :smile: Or even take pictures! If you do, thanks very muchhhh :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest