The Student Room Group

Best MPH and Cape Town

Hi all,

I'm looking at what Public Health Masters courses to apply to. I am mostly interested in the social side of public health, but would also like to get a good grounding in epidemiology, programme evaluation, and general research methods.

I am also looking at applying to the Mph in Cape Town. Does anyone know if this course is good and/or well-respected.

Thanks
Reply 1
Would be helpful if you explained what MPH means. As far as I know, it stands for miles per hour.

So with the information given, I'd say that 70 MPH is the best as its the maximum legal speed.
MPH - http://www.publichealth.uct.ac.za/students/students_pg_mph.php

UCT (University of CT) is well respected in Southern Africa and listed as the best university in Africa. UCT also made it onto the world university rankings at no.103 out of hunderds of uni's worldwide (http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2011-2012/top-400.html).

FYI, UCT is ranked 1 place lower than Glasgow uni (no.102) and 2 places lower than Sheffield (no.101)...which shows how strong they are in comparison. League tables aren't the sole measure of how good a uni is, but its a starting point.

In my opinion, it is a great university with knowledgeable staff, researchers, in a wonderful city in South Africa. I don't know about the course itself, but its overall reputation is very good.

Why South Africa for the MPH? You could look at the following places (in London, if you living in the south of England):

http://www.lshtm.ac.uk/study/masters/msph.html (London School of Hygiene & Trop Med)

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/graduate/public-health (King's College)

There's a few other places, like Machester, Sheffield, Warwick, Liverpool, etc. who also offer an MPH.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I did an internship in Cape Town last year and met a load of UCT students. I don't know about the course but I know that the university is well respected and is best in S Africa/ Africa in general. The people who I stayed with (as well as the poster above) have said it is not as high as the top universities in UK. I have looked into doing undergrad or masters there as well but as the poster above says, is there any particular reason to go to Cape Town? It is massively different from England. If you haven't been there, it is an amazing place but it is more dangerous than UK which means you can't go out on your own after dark and have to get taxis everywhere. The university is very beautiful though and there is so much to see in Cape Town.
Reply 4
Cape Town :love: Great city :biggrin: (I'm South African)
Original post by Harriette
you can't go out on your own after dark and have to get taxis everywhere. The university is very beautiful though and there is so much to see in Cape Town.

Well everyone owns cars, so its not really an issue for most people.

Spoiler

Reply 5
Original post by Craghyrax
Cape Town :love: Great city :biggrin: (I'm South African)

Well everyone owns cars, so its not really an issue for most people.

Um, I can't add anything about the course. Cape Town is one of the most beautiful cities in the world of course. :smile:

And re going out on your own, well, also depends where you live and where you wanna go. I wouldn't walk around (as a female) on my own much after dark but down a vibey busy street like Long Street or Kloof Street at night it's not such an issue. And if you flatshare near the uni or near abovementioned areas you'll have people to walk with anyway, and as Craggy says chances are there'll always be someone with a car anyway.
Reply 6
Original post by sj27
Um, I can't add anything about the course. Cape Town is one of the most beautiful cities in the world of course. :smile:

I thought you might know more about the Uni in general :smile:

If you want to study at a top class uni in Africa, then the Uni of CT, can't be beaten.

Oh, and I'm also from SA...JHB not CT, but have many friends down there and would love to work and live in CT one day. :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by VENIVIDIVICI

Oh, and I'm also from SA...JHB not CT, but have many friends down there and would love to work and live in CT one day. :biggrin:

Pretoria :smile:
Pretoria :smile:

Hello neighbour :biggrin:.

Haven't checked your profile...are you currently in SA or somewhere around the world? :rolleyes:
Reply 10

Ah ...:colondollar: Can't really add anything to what's been said already. Other than maybe to mention the uni has its own buses that go around town so the general SA lack of public transport not an issue for getting to/from uni. Not at all familiar with the dept OP would be using I'm afraid.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by VENIVIDIVICI
Hello neighbour :biggrin:.

Haven't checked your profile...are you currently in SA or somewhere around the world? :rolleyes:

Norwich, as displayed on my postbit :wink:
Norwich, as displayed on my postbit :wink:

I love that place :biggrin:. Did four months work at the UEA this year. If it wasn't for owning a property in Essex, I would've loved to more up there :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending