The Student Room Group

Prom - Won't wear a dress

Scroll to see replies

article-0-13610122000005DC-436_306x688.jpg

Something like this?
Commando.
How about a jumpsuit? They're like a playsuit but full length so she won't be in a dress and there are some lovely jumpsuits in orange. I think they look really sophisticated too :biggrin: Let us know what she gets!
Reply 23

Unfortunately you can't get dinner jackets for women in the UK. I went with a men's in the end (at £40 from Asda I couldn't say no! :biggrin:) - the trousers fit well, but I'm not really wide enough to fill out the jacket. Unless OP's sister has quite an androgynous shape, I'm not sure it'd fit right tbh. :erm:

I tend to wear my DJ when I'm going to black tie events because I just don't want to wear a dress and it's the best alternative (a few other girls at Cambridge wear them to May Balls and stuff, and naturally it's what guys are wearing). If this is a Year 11/sixth form prom, I'd go with a women's suit and a blouse or something underneath - it'll look a lot better because it's cut to fit a woman. :smile:
Original post by Tortious
Unfortunately you can't get dinner jackets for women in the UK. I went with a men's in the end (at £40 from Asda I couldn't say no! :biggrin:) - the trousers fit well, but I'm not really wide enough to fill out the jacket. Unless OP's sister has quite an androgynous shape, I'm not sure it'd fit right tbh. :erm:

I tend to wear my DJ when I'm going to black tie events because I just don't want to wear a dress and it's the best alternative (a few other girls at Cambridge wear them to May Balls and stuff, and naturally it's what guys are wearing). If this is a Year 11/sixth form prom, I'd go with a women's suit and a blouse or something underneath - it'll look a lot better because it's cut to fit a woman. :smile:

Well, I meant one cut for women, really, as it's been a staple of many designers since Yves St Laurent, but I wasn't suggesting she should go that far for a year 11 prom! Variations of the tux have been done for different budgets for many years - I had one myself 20 years ago - but men's ranges are certainly a more plentiful source, and Matalan is good for cheap boys' suits. Worth a try. Maybe get a couple of darts put in the back.
Reply 25
Original post by Aula
So my sister has got her year 11 ball coming up, but she hates wearing dresses. Her opinion of prom was 'I don't even want to go, but my friends are forcing me'.
We're thinking perhaps a trouser suit of some kind.

She's getting pretty tall and is very slim, and adores the colour orange. Are there any ideas or suggestions?

How about a playsuit like this:

http://www.next.co.uk/g372070s2#849841g37

a blazer? It's not overly feminine but still formal enough for a prom

Or this one:

http://www.arkclothing.com/Ark_Female/Playsuits_/Sugarhill_Boutique_Caramel_Pamela_Jumpsuit1.html

it's orange, which i think will be a plus?

This one's also orange, and more formal than the other two:

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Linea+Jumpsuit/164298357,default,pd.html

I hope this helps! :smile:
I think a playsuit would be too casual- try a jumpsuit instead
http://www.shopstyle.co.uk/browse?fts=orange+jumpsuits
Reply 27
Original post by Aula
So my sister has got her year 11 ball coming up, but she hates wearing dresses. Her opinion of prom was 'I don't even want to go, but my friends are forcing me'.
We're thinking perhaps a trouser suit of some kind.

She's getting pretty tall and is very slim, and adores the colour orange. Are there any ideas or suggestions?

Me and my m8 (Male) are going to break the trend with prom this year (It has a formal dinner and stuff). We are going to be dressing up as Jedi's with the long robes and will be carrying a light-saber too :wink:.
We have to wear our suits under the robs because our mums intend on seeing some "Normal" pics of us at prom :/
Reply 28
Original post by bahjat93
Me and my m8 (Male) are going to break the trend with prom this year (It has a formal dinner and stuff). We are going to be dressing up as Jedi's with the long robes and will be carrying a light-saber too :wink:.
We have to wear our suits under the robs because our mums intend on seeing some "Normal" pics of us at prom :/

If anyone says anything, you should insist that you were told the dress code was "fancy dress". :wink:
Reply 30
Original post by Retro.spex
I can't believe people are actually suggesting she should care so much about what other people think. :rolleyes: If she doesn't want to wear something she shouldn't, simple as that.

It's a formal occasion so she has to dress formally or look an idiot.
Reply 31
Original post by Tortious
If anyone says anything, you should insist that you were told the dress code was "fancy dress". :wink:

Were going it to break the trend :wink:.
Another reason for us doing this is because can say to one another when a girl comes near "Is that a light-saber or are you just happy to see her!"
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by detinus

No need to be like that. This thread is discussing what the person could wear instead of a dress to prom, not whether she should go against the formal dress code. The person can still be formal and not wear the typical dress.
Original post by detinus

Formal does not equal dress. Formal wear for work is the same for men and women, so why not for this occasion?
Reply 34
She has said perhaps to a jumpsuit, which I think is as far as we're going to get for a little while.
Although it's a definite no to an orange jumpsuit...

Personally I'm thinking black with orange accessories, but we shall have to see.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Original post by Aula
She has said perhaps to a jumpsuit, which I think is as far as we're going to get for a little while.
Although it's a definite no to an orange jumpsuit...

Personally I'm thinking black with orange accessories, but we shall have to see.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I think this is wise. Too many Guantanamo Bay associations.
go for it its whatever makes you happy not everyone else
http://images.sugarscape.com/userfiles/image/MARCH2012/jess/mollieking/mollieking.jpg

I think something like this would look amazing and still be appropriate for the occasion. Maybe if you could get your sister to try on a few things she might come round to the idea once she sees them on

Quick Reply

Latest