The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Magdalene College (Cambridge) Students and 2016 entry Applicants

Hey, I have an interview at Magdalene next Saturday, was just wondering if anyone could tell me a bit more about the College.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think anyone wants to :P
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
It has the most waterfront of the Cam out of any college. That's all I remember from the prospectus lol. Quite nice porters too. People are supposed to be quite arrogant though but that's only the view of someone I met on the openday.
Come on guys, does anyone have any more comments / observations about Magdalene? I looked at its entry in the prospectus which seemed quite good, and their website makes them seem a friendly bunch. Thinking of applying for next year...

Anyone's contribution to this thread would be much appreciated!
Reply 4
moojoo
Hey, I have an interview at Magdalene next Saturday, was just wondering if anyone could tell me a bit more about the College.

hey im from magdalene, was in similar position last year - applied to trinity for economics and got pooled without reinterview to magdalene. At first i was a bit annoyed as it is a small college but its so friendly and laid back that it makes up for any shortcomings. It does really badly in the league table but i think this means absolutely nothing as because it is laid back its up to you how much work you put in and therefore it gets less firsts and more 2.2s so putting it further down the tompkins. For economics the 2nd years got two first and a 2.1 so ive got confidence that ill be alright if i work hard.

The bio natscis like you would be, work ****in hard, just like any college i suppose so you will be challenged just like anywhere.

Its very relaxed, good facilities, three years in college, the poshest may ball in cambridge, candlelit formal hall every night, punches above its weight in sport ie third smallest college yet in top division for bumps and i was in the 1st mens novices and we came 7th out of 70+ boats at fairbairns (the main novice event).

Overall it brilliant and now i would never want to go to trinity. Try your hardest, just remember that you have already been deemed good enough so go and confirm what they already sort of know which is YOU ARE CAMBRIDGE MATERIAL!
Reply 5
trachea
hey im from magdalene, was in similar position last year - applied to trinity for economics and got pooled without reinterview to magdalene. At first i was a bit annoyed as it is a small college but its so friendly and laid back that it makes up for any shortcomings. It does really badly in the league table but i think this means absolutely nothing as because it is laid back its up to you how much work you put in and therefore it gets less firsts and more 2.2s so putting it further down the tompkins. For economics the 2nd years got two first and a 2.1 so ive got confidence that ill be alright if i work hard.

The bio natscis like you would be, work ****in hard, just like any college i suppose so you will be challenged just like anywhere.

Its very relaxed, good facilities, three years in college, the poshest may ball in cambridge, candlelit formal hall every night, punches above its weight in sport ie third smallest college yet in top division for bumps and i was in the 1st mens novices and we came 7th out of 70+ boats at fairbairns (the main novice event).

Overall it brilliant and now i would never want to go to trinity. Try your hardest, just remember that you have already been deemed good enough so go and confirm what they already sort of know which is YOU ARE CAMBRIDGE MATERIAL!

good to hear tat it's a friendly bunch.. i jus got my offer letter from magdalene today!! :smile: brunei post is slow... >.<
hope i meet the conditions.. it seems like a nice place. i like that undergraduate prospectus..
Only thing I know is free pool table haha.
Reply 7
Also free table football.

Oh and their itbox cheats at pool.

Also don't attempt to take photos at formal... :s
DrCube

Also don't attempt to take photos at formal... :s

Lol, why?!
Reply 9
Does anybody know how the Accommodation at Magdalene is? Can i have room over looking the river?
Reply 10
No you can't, because I want a room over the river :P
Have any people pooled to Magdalene heard from them by letter?
Reply 12
If you are waiting for a letter, you should most likely get it tomorrow or thursday as they have posted them on Monday.

The two people who cant swim, want a room over the river :rolleyes:
Reply 13
I have an offer to do Medicine at Magdalene, (I was surprised .. Im pretty sure one of my interviewers hated me).

Just wanted to ask, is Cripps court accom. reserved for 3rd years and above? Dont know why im asking, dont think Id be able to afford it. This may sound like a stupid uesiton but you knwo the KFC we have to pay? Can I use kitchen facilities myself if I want to microwave, oven etc.?
Reply 14
Uma!r
If you are waiting for a letter, you should most likely get it tomorrow or thursday as they have posted them on Monday.

This Monday???? Like yesterday??.. What was your original college?
Reply 15
ugla
This Monday???? Like yesterday??.. What was your original college?

Yeah this monday, my original college was Emma.

i didnt ask much about the is Cripps court accomodation, so have no clue.
i am sure someone else should know.
Hey i got an offer for vet med, current students that were there during my interview day and night were great, really friendly with great sense of humour!!

The porters seemed really nice too, i said i supported newcastle united and the porters stoped me to tell me the result from their game when they saw me passing
Reply 17
bump
Reply 18
cripps court is not reserved for 3rd year and above, though I don't think any freshers get rooms there (though this is the first year it's been up so that can change). If I were a fresher again, I'd like to live in college as it's just a bit more personal/sociable. (Cripps is nice but feels slightly isolated)

KFC are the same all over college, mine was £130 last term. The kitchens you get vary MASSIVELY around college though and don't expect much (you'll be lucky if you have a half decent microwave oven)
Magdalene never seems to get mentioned on this forum so this is a thread especially dedicated to it, ( and also coz i'm starting to get nervous about no acknowledgement from the college of receipt of my application)

So who is applying/attends magdalene?
What subject?
What grades?
What details have you received so far and when did you send off you CAF?
And any other meaningless or non meaningless information.

I am applying for engineering
Predicted AAAB in chemsitry, physics, maths and further maths. At AS i got maths (285) chemsitry (254) physics (261) further maths (235) eng lit (239)
I haven't recived any notification from cambridge at all and I sent my CAF on 11th.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending