The Student Room Group

How to deal with non-circular (messed up) roundabouts.

I'm usually OK at mid-sized roundabouts, but struggle a bit with lane discipline.

However when it comes to the large non-circular (oval or oblong) shaped roundabout I'm completely thrown. The "12 oclock" approach just doesn't work for me when you have an oval shaped clock, can't see across, and are coming in at an angle. ;p

I'm talking like this: http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/support-kms-prod/SNP_2642411_en_v0 but stretched out a bit more and with more exit lanes. Usually seen under/above motorways or dual carriageways.

I just end up confused and in the wrong lane. The one near me (seven exits) switches between 3 and 2 in parts (the third outside lane heads off into one of the exits). Needless to say I always end up coming off an exit too soon. It does have arrows marked on the lanes but half have rubbed off and to be honest I'm so confused by the thing that the additional directions are more hindrance than help.

Aside from continual practice on them, any other tips on how to approach these?
Reply 1
Follow the car infront. :colondollar:
Reply 2
Original post by Lunch_Box
Follow the car infront. :colondollar:

I think thats the standard approach! :tongue:

Pick a lane, any lane!
Reply 3
We can all get these type of roundabouts wrong in regards to the original lane choice but what is done after that is what is judged
Reply 4
Original post by ROG.
We can all get these type of roundabouts wrong in regards to the original lane choice but what is done after that is what is judged

I'm just worried I'd be in the wrong lane, decide its safest to come off a junction early then need to travel 2-3 miles to turn around. That can't be judged well on a driving test, I know theres a section on the test form for lane discipline.

Also if you make mistakes like these, do you reckon you can you avoid/mitigate examiners marking you down by explaining your actions e.g. "I understand I've taken the wrong lane but it wasn't safe to change, I will turn around where possible". Instead of being perceived to be oblivious?
Reply 5
Be aware of the signs on the actual road too. Quite often they will paint the road name... So look at the map as you approach the roundabout, and follow the lanes with the same road name.

If in doubt, then do try the clock method, but do it with the map diagram as you approach the roundabout, not just the visual approach as it seems to you. If the exit is 12 o'clock or less, then left lane. If it's more than 12 o'clock, then the right lane.
Reply 6
I'd stay in the left lane all the way round unless you feel you should be in the "correct" lane, i.e. right for any exit past 12 o'clock. If you must go into the right lane, change to the left lane right after the previous exit and then take the exit. If you can't change to the left lane at that time, I'd go right round and try again.
Reply 7
Original post by RJ555
I'm just worried I'd be in the wrong lane, decide its safest to come off a junction early then need to travel 2-3 miles to turn around. That can't be judged well on a driving test, I know theres a section on the test form for lane discipline.

Also if you make mistakes like these, do you reckon you can you avoid/mitigate examiners marking you down by explaining your actions e.g. "I understand I've taken the wrong lane but it wasn't safe to change, I will turn around where possible". Instead of being perceived to be oblivious?

Yes - it is NOT a fault if you get in the wrong lane but put it safely right or are forced to take that wrong lane and safely sort it later

Some DEs ight give a minor for observation if the correct lane was clearly marked

Lane discipline is something else - like not keeping within your lane or changing lanes unsafely

Quick Reply

Latest