The Student Room Group

Is postgrad medicine entry more or less competitive than undergrad??

I went to sixth form with the aim of studying medicine at university afterwards. I've just finished my AS levels though and I can just tell that my results are gonna fall short and I won't even get an interview. I predict ABBC/D; I think it's possible for me to turn the ABB into three A's at A level next year (and so maybe apply a year late see what happens) but my AS level (maths, what I think will be C/D) isn't gonna be great and medicine usually wants a minimum grade B AS level on top of the three A's (meaning the applying a year late is out of the window). Also, I've taken two re-sits on my AS levels so that isn't gonna make me look great.

So I've thinking about doing a science degree and then applying for postgrad medicine, which has it's pros and cons. I wouldn't really want to do that if it's super competitive though (meaning more competitive than undergrad, because that is ****ing crazy) because that's just impossible. So does anyone know about this? Also does anyone have any advice on what I should do about my current ****ty situation? I want to be a doctor and I think I'm capable I've just ****ed this year up, I understand how competitive it is.
Reply 1
I'm not a medic but from what I've always read on here it seems that postgrad med entry is indeed more competitive than undergrad.
Reply 2
It's graduate entry to medicine, it's NOT a postgraduate course...it's still an undergraduate degree. Which is why it doesn't belong in this, the postgraduate forum.

Yes, it's more competitive, yes it's bloody hard work, and it's clearly doable since hundreds of people get in every year, but that still doesn't change the fact that you shouldn't be considering it until you've explored every non-GEM option i.e. working hard to get the right A2 grades.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Also just because if you do a degree, you don't have to do GEM, you could still apply for the standard 5 year course. It's only one extra year and if you really want to do it, one extra year doesn't hurt really does it? That's what I'm doing and I already did a 4 year degree. The time it takes doesn't really matter to me, it's just about getting there in the end.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Original post by domzy_7
Also just because if you do a degree, you don't have to do GEM, you could still apply for the standard 5 year course. It's only one extra year and if you really want to do it, one extra year doesn't hurt really does it? That's what I'm doing and I already did a 4 year degree. The time it takes doesn't really matter to me, it's just about getting there in the end.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Though if you apply to the 5 year course you need to make sure you can self-fund the whole degree - you won't get any tuition fee support at all from Student Loans Company.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending