The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The degree certificate is highly unimpressive considering where it's from! I'm not sure if it has the class of degree on it; apparently it didn't used to.

I've actually been to a graduation ceremony, to see my cousin get his PhD. It's weird - lots of funny rituals, lots of cap doffing and it's all in Latin.
Reply 2
Helenia
lots of funny rituals, lots of cap doffing and it's all in Latin.

sounds like great fun
Reply 3
It just has the type of degree BA (Hons) etc, no subject, no class :smile:
Helenia
I've actually been to a graduation ceremony, to see my cousin get his PhD. It's weird - lots of funny rituals, lots of cap doffing and it's all in Latin.

:rolleyes: Great. Can hardly wait. :wink:
Reply 5
Helenia
The degree certificate is highly unimpressive considering where it's from!

Expecting it to be printed on gold leaf? :wink:
i'm not going to accept my degree certificate. i'm going for the education
Reply 7
which colleges let you sign that big book in the matriculation ceremony with a quill!?

I wanna sign stuff with a quill too!
Reply 8
leda swanson

Nothing to show for 3/4/5/6 years doesn't exactly speak reams for your education does it? Why bother going if you're not going to accept the certificate?

n.b. If you mean that you don't intend to go to the ceremony, that is different.
Reply 9
leda swanson

That doesn't make a great deal of sense.
Reply 10
d750
Expecting it to be printed on gold leaf? :wink:

I think they try and flog you one suitable to be hung on your wall as it were, probably about thirty or forty quid but would look more impressive.

Alaric.
daydreamer
I'm trying to picture what I am aiming for - and also what is the graduation ceremony like?

ask again in 18 days and ill tell you
J
Reply 12
mobbdeeprob
Nothing to show for 3/4/5/6 years doesn't exactly speak reams for your education does it? Why bother going if you're not going to accept the certificate?

n.b. If you mean that you don't intend to go to the ceremony, that is different.

i think she meant she's not going to cambridge just to accept a degree certificate, she's going there for the education
Reply 13
daydreamer
I'm trying to picture what I am aiming for - and also what is the graduation ceremony like?

The degree certificate is rather plain - image attached.

On the other hand the Special License you need to get married in college chapels is rather impressive!
OldMan
The degree certificate is rather plain - image attached.

On the other hand the Special License you need to get married in college chapels is rather impressive!

Yes, that is rather plain. They could at least put the name of the person recevieing the degree, and when precisely it was awarded...
Reply 15
Love the poncey language! 'Witness my hand' ha!
Reply 16
it is really a bit of an anti-climax isn't it

aren't the certificates meant to have the subject on them? how do you prove to employers then that you did a degree in say law, as opposed to history?
Alaric
I think they try and flog you one suitable to be hung on your wall as it were, probably about thirty or forty quid but would look more impressive.

Alaric.

At Oxford I've heard that they give you a crappy one when you graduate, and you can buy a more presentable one if you wish.
Reply 18
BazTheMoney
At Oxford I've heard that they give you a crappy one when you graduate, and you can buy a more presentable one if you wish.

Yes, it does rather look like they spent 10 seconds with a word processor to produce it. But what's the point of buying a presentable one? - it's not the sort of thing you can hang on a wall without looking like a total git.
d750
Yes, it does rather look like they spent 10 seconds with a word processor to produce it. But what's the point of buying a presentable one? - it's not the sort of thing you can hang on a wall without looking like a total git.

Well, there must be some demand for an improved version or they wouldn't offer the service. I wouldn't "upgrade" though, I'll be happy with my simple A4 sheet.

Latest