The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No I am totally against it. Besides if we had private health care it wouldn't matter. But even with the NHS, I am against "fat tax".
Reply 2
Yes.
Reply 3
Yeah there should
Reply 4
No way man.
Reply 5
What about people who drink alcohol, or take drugs?? Tax none of them or tax them all.
Nope.
Reply 7
What about people that smoke too then? And those people who sleep around and get STI's. Or people that do dangerous sports.
Reply 8
chingquey
What about people who drink alcohol, or take drugs?? Tax none of them or tax them all.

Pretty much.
Reply 9
sigstuff
What about people that smoke too then? And those people who sleep around and get STI's. Or people that do dangerous sports.

Exactly, I totally agree. Good point.
sigstuff

I agree with this too, if not more than 'fat tax'
if you did that you'd have to have a smoking tax. and whenever someone ended up in hospital due to drinking you'd have t charge them. And if someone played a dangerous sport and broke their arm... You could never draw the line. You can nearly always argue that stuff is self inflicted.
i hate this whole train of thinking.

should people who go on the pill pay extra taxes because they're more at risk of cancer?

should people who engage in dangerous sports pay extra taxes because they're more at risk of broken limbs?

should people who get pregnant pay extra taxes because giving birth is a cost to the NHS?

where exactly would you like to draw the line?

edit: as i was a bit slow off the mark i'll go ahead and say no, I don't think there should be a 'fat tax'
Reply 13
They already tax alcohol and tobacco.
aaw i was waay beaten to it
Imilan
They already tax alcohol and tobacco.

and food...
Reply 16
The_Goose
and food...

Yeah, but isn't that just VAT? Not a separate tax per se.
Reply 17
Yazr
Yeh I agree, but this is about obese people.

I know dummy, thats why I said, tax them all or tax none of them...that applies to this thread
Like how chocolate biscuits have VAT on them but normal digestive biscuits dont... bizarre really.
Reply 19
Sickening question.

Latest