The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
it won't be a disadvantage by going to law school outside of london.
but you have to bear in mind that QMUL is one of the most respected law schools.
though sheffied is very well respected too. depends on where you want to live.
Mile End is not as bad as you are led to believe. Its a touching distance away from the City and Central London.
Reply 3
qmul..especially if you're from london you'll have such a good time..very highly regarded for law and the halls are really nice as well
Reply 4
Mile end isnt that bad actually. Plus its one stop from stratford that is being completely redeveloped with a westfield shopping centre woo woo! I would go queen mary for sure..its a great uni
Reply 5
chigz32
Its a choice between the Firms! London is obviously a great place, but then again, Mile End isnt. Sheffield has brilliant housing, but is it as well respected as QMUL? Would I be at a disadvantage by going to a Law school outside of London? Thoughts please!

Both are good law schools. I think you should pick the university depending on where you would actually be happy for the next three years. Obviously, the academic reputation of university and, in case of law, the department itself, usually matters quite a bit when it comes to employment. However, I trust both of them to be similar in terms of reputation, although the Times Uni Guide places QMUL much higher then Sheffield...

I live in London and I used to spend quite a bit of time around Mile End a few years ago, as my friends were living there at the time. I personally do not like it at all and do not think of it as a great place to live and study. On the other hand, some do. You have to visit and see for yourself.

Finally, have you looked at the opportunities offered at each university? What extra curricula's you could get involved in? How is their law society, career service etc? As far as I know, QMUL has a legal advice centre, which seems like a great place to volunteer at to gain some legal work experience. Both of the universities provide opportunities for mooting. Sheffield has its own LPC, however, it may not be that relevant to you at the moment.
Reply 6
The Law department itself has been relocated to Holborn, just behind Holborn tube station
Queen Mary.
Reply 8
No matter what anybody says mile end looks like my scrotum and there is some really gypy accom at qm - go to sheffield
Reply 9
Each would offer a very different experience. QMUL imo.
Bubbles*de*Milo
Queen Mary.

Sheffield.
RamocitoMorales
Sheffield.

Queen Mary, and I'm neutral. :smile:
joeyXCORE
No matter what anybody says mile end looks like my scrotum and there is some really gypy accom at qm - go to sheffield

Bit like Nottingham I guess.
RamocitoMorales
Sheffield.

And you had to quote me because..?
Bubbles*de*Milo
And you had to quote me because..?

Queen Mary - 100 percent.
I'm quite surprised: it seems that everyone who applies to Sheffield also applies to Leeds, and you're the first not to!

If Nightlife's the priority: Sheffield
Otherwise: QM. It's very close to Canary Wharf & the City, and it therefore has lots of links with firms. Plus, they beat Oxbridge and King's in a mooting competition last year :smile:
Reply 16
Well obviously, nightlife IS important, but Im guessing if you're in London theres so much nightlife theres some in the daytime. Expense is also a factor. The only reason im asking TSR users the opinion is whether me not going to London will put me at a disadvantage-I know many have asked this question but theres been so many different responses.

Sheffield do seem to have links with good firms such as Linklaters and Slaughter and May, but in all honesty, how many new graduates go straight into firms like these? Is it realistic?
How long does it take to walk/tube/bus to central london from mile end? *hijack*
Reply 18
near_comatose
How long does it take to walk/tube/bus to central london from mile end? *hijack*

walk=a couple of hours; my mate walked 1.5 hours from farringdon (just outside central)

tube=15/20 mins

bus=45 mins-ish
chigz32
walk=a couple of hours; my mate walked 1.5 hours from farringdon (just outside central)

tube=15/20 mins

bus=45 mins-ish

Holy :snow::snow::snow::snow:, so it's pretty far away then :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending