The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
Not enough A* at GCSE.
Milly.x
Hey, i was just wondering what my chances are in medicine?

GCSE's : 11A* s - Maths, English, English lit, RE (short course), Biol, Chem, Phys, Business Studies, ICT, Business and Communications Systems, French.

Yr 12: Maths Chem Biol Phys (results pending)
Yr 13: Maths Chem Biol AS-Further Maths

UKCAT: Unlikely to do well so am hoping to apply to four of: Bristol, Liverpool, Birmingham, Cardiff, Queen's belfast.

I have experience at a self-help centre and am looking for experience elsewhere but thats all for now.

QUB do a points system for the UKCAT so you will still need to do well if you want to get in. However they do like to take non Irish students as normally its only Irish people who apply. Although I have heard recently they are doing interviews this year. You really need to get work experience in a hospital or GP practice and do some volunteering to improve your application
I find it peculiar that someone with impeccable results asks such a ludicrously obvious question, clearly you are lieing or are in search of an ego-boost.
Reply 1003
.:Doctor:.
I find it peculiar that someone with impeccable results asks such a ludicrously obvious question, clearly you are lieing or are in search of an ego-boost.

Its the lack of experience and the uni's i've chosen that i'm worried about. :s-smilie:
Reply 1004
It could be lupus
QUB do a points system for the UKCAT so you will still need to do well if you want to get in. However they do like to take non Irish students as normally its only Irish people who apply. Although I have heard recently they are doing interviews this year. You really need to get work experience in a hospital or GP practice and do some volunteering to improve your application

Thank you. :smile:
The only non compuslory subject that is worth anything is French. I guess A Levels are more important.
Milly.x

UKCAT: Unlikely to do well so am hoping to apply to four of: Bristol, Liverpool, Birmingham, Cardiff, Queen's belfast.

I have experience at a self-help centre and am looking for experience elsewhere but thats all for now.

UKCAT: What makes you think you'll do badly? Have you taken practice tests?

Experience: Just find more. Ask everywhere. Not that difficult.
I think St George's and Edinburgh also rank GCSEs pretty highly.

Of all of them, I would question Bristol. Only because I was outright rejected there, and I had high enough grades - so they musn't use them that much in their selection. Not saying you will be rejected :p: I just think I would have got more offers if I'd played my strengths when I was applying last year.

Milly.x
:woo:

I thought I'd quote for your attention as your thread got destroyed.
Reply 1008
Milly.x

GCSE's : 11A* s - Maths, English, English lit, RE (short course), Biol, Chem, Phys, Business Studies, ICT, Business and Communications Systems, French.

Just wondering why have you chosen to do AS further maths?
Reply 1009
Mattilla the Hun
UKCAT: What makes you think you'll do badly? Have you taken practice tests?

Experience: Just find more. Ask everywhere. Not that difficult.

I've done the practice tests and as hard as i try, i can barely finish half the questions on time. Also the Quantitative Reasoning and Abstract Reasoning Sections are a b****. :smile:
Milly.x

Grades are fine obviously, although maybe it'd be better to do A2 Physics rather than AS Further Maths, to give you more flexibility with your offers?
Reply 1011
MuneebS
Just wondering why have you chosen to do AS further maths?

I like maths :smile:, as long as i have enough time to do the questions in. (Basically, i like maths, except for when it comes to the quantitative reasoning section in the ukcat)
Reply 1012
Jonty99
Grades are fine obviously, although maybe it'd be better to do A2 Physics rather than AS Further Maths, to give you more flexibility with your offers?

Yeah but I'm rubbish at AS physics so i dont think i could manage A-level :frown:
Milly.x
I like maths :smile:, as long as i have enough time to do the questions in. (Basically, i like maths, except for when it comes to the quantitative reasoning section in the ukcat)

Just a heads up that some medicine courses will ignore your further maths because they count a maths grade and further maths grade as one. Having said that, you've got enough as it is.
.:Doctor:.

This is the thread for such questions is it not?

What harm in asking a few questions to make sure you're on the right track? And as Im sure you know - the number of A*s at GCSE could influence an application (in terms of likelihood of call for interview at certain medical schools) so the question is not all that "peculiar" / "ludicrous".

The post was on topic and relevant (ie the fact that the OP has 11A*'s was not the only thing he/she posted - you are the one who chose to fixate on that). I fail to see the problem :rolleyes:
CWallace91
Just a heads up that some medicine courses will ignore your further maths because they count a maths grade and further maths grade as one. Having said that, you've got enough as it is.

I know that wasn't to me, but do you know if it'd still be enough if I do:

Year 12: AS Biology, AS Chemistry, AS Psychology, AS Maths and A2 Maths

Year 13: A2 Biology, A2 Chemistry, AS Further Maths, A2 Further Maths

I'm not carrying on Psychology, and I'm aware that some (most) universities disregard Further Maths, but I'm only doing it because I'd enjoy it.
So is it bad that I'm only "technically" doing two A levels that they'll allow in my second year? :s-smilie:
Carpet21
I know that wasn't to me, but do you know if it'd still be enough if I do:

Year 12: AS Biology, AS Chemistry, AS Psychology, AS Maths and A2 Maths

Year 13: A2 Biology, A2 Chemistry, AS Further Maths, A2 Further Maths

I'm not carrying on Psychology, and I'm aware that some (most) universities disregard Further Maths, but I'm only doing it because I'd enjoy it.
So is it bad that I'm only "technically" doing two A levels that they'll allow in my second year? :s-smilie:

You will already have achieved 1 A level (hopefully an A/A*) so it should still be fine with most universities. However doing an extra A2 which they would count would help your application most likely.
It could be lupus
You will already have achieved 1 A level (hopefully an A/A*) so it should still be fine with most universities. However doing an extra A2 which they would count would help your application most likely.

Would universities not want students to do 3 A Levels in their final year though? Whereas they'd only be doing 2 in the final year, if Further Maths didn't count.
It could be lupus

Ok thanks, and I totally agree with you about doing an extra A2, but I really REALLY can't bring myself to carry on with Psychology. :s-smilie: I'm surprised I even managed to stick it out for the whole year!
Jonty99
Would universities not want students to do 3 A Levels in their final year though? Whereas they'd only be doing 2 in the final year, if Further Maths didn't count.

Hmm you see I can't see the problem that much if they have already taken an A level. I do however agree that it would look much better if the personw as doing 3 A levels in their final year :yep: