The Student Room Group

Post your best photograph

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ocelotrevs

I took this earlier today, I was at the beach with some friends from work.

It's kind of hard to tell because I have to put my screen magnification on 50% to even get a sense of the whole photo, but I think you could do with some cropping - the sand up until the first long bit roughly in the middle and the sky above the low cloud are just wastes of space.
Original post by DanBrwn
Could you maybe make it a bit bigger? I can hardly see it

Ha!

Original post by TheSownRose
It's kind of hard to tell because I have to put my screen magnification on 50% to even get a sense of the whole photo, but I think you could do with some cropping - the sand up until the first long bit roughly in the middle and the sky above the low cloud are just wastes of space.

That's odd, normally it scales automatically. I'll change it to a more reasonable size photograph.
That's how I want it to look. I want the horizon and where the people are to be in the middle.
That's odd, normally it scales automatically. I'll change it to a more reasonable size photograph.
That's how I want it to look. I want the horizon and where the people are to be in the middle.

Fair enough, we should always please ourselves first with our photographs.

Am curious though, what is the black bit in the top right corner?
Reply 3323
pdmbs.jpg
There's so many to choose from; i might do a selection of 5 and it should give a flavour of what I'm like. These are some which I have had generally positive feedback for. Here goes nothing...Black and White Flute_1024x768.jpgDSCF0579.jpgDSCF0847.jpgDSCF0592edited.jpgfoliage-HDR.jpg

I might do more.
Original post by TheSownRose
Fair enough, we should always please ourselves first with our photographs.

Am curious though, what is the black bit in the top right corner?

Yeah. I hear that, I am open to suggestions though. It's kinda lame if I thought all my photographs were Magnum class. How would you crop it out of interest.
Those black parts are me being lazy with the cropping.
went to london the other day:

covent garden by refrigerate, on Flickr
Yeah. I hear that, I am open to suggestions though. It's kinda lame if I thought all my photographs were Magnum class. How would you crop it out of interest.
Those black parts are me being lazy with the cropping.

Here's how I'd crop it:

Cut out the boring sand and limit the sky, put the horizon a bit higher, get rid of the person on the left (sorry if he was one of the friends, but his position in relation to the other made him a bit of a spare wheel) - I just think it makes them the feature, rather than spending ages looking at an expanse of sky and sand. :dontknow:
Reply 3328
Original post by Herr Stamper
I'd like to focus on the tree by itself in the foreground with the backdrop of the loch in the intermediate background and the peaks in the distance.

Another of my favourites is this one;

I enjoy a good munro, it's like walking up into the clouds (which it literally is with some, like this image). I know a lot of people only consider going abroad for holidays but people should consider the highlands, particularly the NW.

Couldn't agree more, I've been to many places abroad on holiday but I still think the 2 weeks I had in Skye and the NW highlands last summer was probably the favourite holiday I've had, the scenery is just unbelievable and not just mountains, there are some stunning beaches as well. Just wish I had a decent camera with me to get some decent photos when I was there, will have to go again soon. Great photos btw:smile:
Reply 3330
Original post by Vazzyb
Thanks!

Yeah, the perfect formula is:

DSLR (so you can shoot in RAW mode)
+
LOTS and LOTS of shots of the same thing in a beautiful location
+
Lightroom

Once you have that, you'll get great pictures without the need for any real artistic talent (ie. me! lol)

I do the exact same, when i went to NYC i took about 20 photos of the same part of the skyline, and lightroom has got to be the best program ive used, really enhances the images.

If im being honest, around here theres no interesting landscapes or buildings so i only use my DSLR maybe once every couple of months
May well edit this post when I get home later but there are a few I'm pretty happy with.

Night Heron.

Gentoos crossing.

In both of these I think I managed to get the focus right and the composition is almost what I wanted.

Edited to try to fix the size and add these two:

The insides of a Hercules, I'm really pleased with the contrast on this one.

Female Night Heron, I like the water effect I managed to get.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3332
ferrari_458_italia_by_ramyk-d4n25tm.jpg

reflection_by_ramyk-d4ggrxs.jpg

flags_and_confetti___qatar_national_day_by_ramyk-d4jgxew.jpg

forgotten photo from when it was snowing
MJE-20120217_090046.JPG

Morning dip

MJE-20120211_075348.JPG

Winter.
Original post by evening sunrise
MJE-20120217_090046.JPG

Morning dip

MJE-20120211_075348.JPG

Winter.

AMAZING- do you have flicker? :smile:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I love photography... :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ChemAddict

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I love photography... :colondollar:

Great shots, wonderful tones. I love the last one especially as I like wide angle perspective distortion in clouds too.
Original post by JAZZA007
AMAZING- do you have flicker? :smile:

PMed you
brilliant guys.. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest