The Student Room Group

GCSE Results day March 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by kiyubi
yeah...but oh well we cant do anything about it really

I heard that Birmingham accept it as an A* per GCSE because thats the highest you could get and they are a good university,who offer competitive medicine and no,i don't wan t to do medicine so it isn't useless and is a fully equivalent GCSE.I am going to have 2 GCSEs in Business,ICT and PE-6 in total that are vocational courses of OCR nationals(ICT and Business) and BTEC(PE).The exam boards offer these vocational courses and work out their actual equivalence so they should be recognised because they also do GCSEs and work out how many GCSEs per course content.
Reply 121
Original post by Dalek1099
I heard that Birmingham accept it as an A* per GCSE because thats the highest you could get and they are a good university,who offer competitive medicine and no,i don't wan t to do medicine so it isn't useless and is a fully equivalent GCSE.I am going to have 2 GCSEs in Business,ICT and PE-6 in total that are vocational courses of OCR nationals(ICT and Business) and BTEC(PE).The exam boards offer these vocational courses and work out their actual equivalence so they should be recognised because they also do GCSEs and work out how many GCSEs per course content.

not to argue, but many UNI´s dont really care about ICT, if u get me?

Let's not argue about this, but I just have to say this. Birmingham or any other university at that standard will not accept any vocational course like a BTEC for a course, with the only exception being if the BTEC is directly related to the subject you will study at university. It won't disadvantage you, but it won't be looked at. It is a disadvantage though as you may do less GCSEs than you would've Those 6 will not count, so as long as you are diong 8 actual GCSE courses that is alright; as birmnigham requires like 8 A*s for medicine, and other unis will want atleast 8.
Reply 123
Original post by GreenLantern1
Let's not argue about this, but I just have to say this. Birmingham or any other university at that standard will not accept any vocational course like a BTEC for a course, with the only exception being if the BTEC is directly related to the subject you will study at university. It won't disadvantage you, but it won't be looked at. It is a disadvantage though as you may do less GCSEs than you would've Those 6 will not count, so as long as you are diong 8 actual GCSE courses that is alright; as birmnigham requires like 8 A*s for medicine, and other unis will want atleast 8.

7A*s and i'm doing 10-i have already got an A in one of them though:angry:but they do allow A* for distinction,which is more than its worth Source:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1627099&p=31251609#post31251609.
did anyone do ocr early entry maths gcse in january, their were two papers, b813 and b814 both out of 100? And if so, how did you find it?
Did anyone do AQA Biology, Physics or Cheistry Unit 2 exams in january? When are their results comming?
Reply 126
7A*s and i'm doing 10-i have already got an A in one of them though:angry:but they do allow A* for distinction,which is more than its worth Source:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1627099&p=31251609#post31251609.

so you really think just because of that, that OCR is the same as a GCSE???? it's not and unis will rarely say this because it's like saying that they don't like weak a levels it doesn't happen just because that email said that it doesn't mean it will actually come true when people from unis look at your PS. but there's no point in arguing anyway.
I waiting for OCR 21st Century physics (P1, P2, P3), chemistry (C1, C2, C3) and biology (B1, B2, B3) results. I think I've done well, fingers crossed.
Reply 128
Original post by non
so you really think just because of that, that OCR is the same as a GCSE???? it's not and unis will rarely say this because it's like saying that they don't like weak a levels it doesn't happen just because that email said that it doesn't mean it will actually come true when people from unis look at your PS. but there's no point in arguing anyway.

Even Oxford accept a-levels,of btec/OCR national,with 1 or 2 A-Levels.
Even Oxford accept a-levels,of btec/OCR national,with 1 or 2 A-Levels.

They say they do, but you are at a huge disadvantage. I can't stress this enough, ut unis hardly care bout GCSEs any more anyway, even oxbridge are above that and look a lot more at a levels and their own internal exams. Just dont do BTEC things at sixth form/college and you're fine/

As much as you may want to believe your BTECs and OCR Nationals will count, they really don't. There is no point in arguing as you will not back down.
Original post by izpenguin
I waiting for OCR 21st Century physics (P1, P2, P3), chemistry (C1, C2, C3) and biology (B1, B2, B3) results. I think I've done well, fingers crossed.

I'm waiting for OCR Gateway Biology (B1, B2, B3), Chemistry (C1, C2, C3) and Physics (P1, P2, P3) results as well as others!
Gateway kills 21st century and you know it!
Will be recieving results for AQA exams - P2, B2, B3 and English Language! And the 8th Mar is my bday :grumble:
Also having issues with the incredibly slow marking of Humanities coursework - supposedly we have to wait for several people who will NEVER bother to finish to do so before they will be marked!
Oh well... I'm such a weirdo that I find getting results exciting :blush:
Now im confused everyone is expecting quite a few results on march 8th. Howcome i only have one? :s
Reply 133
Original post by GreenLantern1
I'm waiting for OCR Gateway Biology (B1, B2, B3), Chemistry (C1, C2, C3) and Physics (P1, P2, P3) results as well as others!
Gateway kills 21st century and you know it!

If by 'kills', you mean 'is ridiculously easier than', then you sir are 100% correct.

Mind you, I don't mind, I'm doing Gateway too! :P
Year 11 here! I'm expecting Biology unit 2, Chemistry unit 2, Physics unit 2, History (interwar years) and Geography (flood management)...

I'm also expecting some ISA and coursework results soon but that might not have to be on results day :smile:

Good luck everyone!
Original post by Sapien
If by 'kills', you mean 'is ridiculously easier than', then you sir are 100% correct.

Mind you, I don't mind, I'm doing Gateway too! :P

I wouldn't say ridiculously easier. I compared the two exam boars with my cousin (who is doing 21st) and I have to say that while our exams are marginally easier , since we have a few more 1 mark questioons (hehe :colone: ), our coursework is definitely considerably harder; especially bloody science in the news as it is so much more like an english essay :frown:
Just under a WEEEK OMFG!!!! :0
Finally - other students feeling the same amount of anxiety as I do! I shall be awaiting

English language (Writer's voice) - Edexcel
Chem. unit 2 - AQA
Maths - OCR
History Paper 2 - OCR
Geography Unit 1 re-take - AQA

I know someone has said that all the results come out on the same day, because a lot of my teachers are saying that they aren't. Sorry, but I am just confused.
Also, good luck to all waiting for their results too. I hope you get the grades you wanted.

Was you're ocr maths gcse exam built up of two papers by any chance. both papers out of 100, one paper reference b813, one b814?
Never have I anticipated a day more feverishly than the 8th March. I am so excited it is untrue. I only hope all my revision paid off. At least I have my Mathematics exams to keep me occupied until the day before. :h:
Reply 139
Original post by science-oliver
Was you're ocr maths gcse exam built up of two papers by any chance. both papers out of 100, one paper reference b813, one b814?

I'm doing OCR Maths and I do 3 exams unit a, b and c. I think it's called j502 or something like that.

Quick Reply