The Student Room Group

I hate sixth form !

Hi, I'm considering dropping out of sixth form. Please let me know what you think I should do . I got really good gcse grades last summer and am now at sixth form where I do 4 as levels. I thought it would be really good and had planned to go to university, but I hate it because I know NOBODY , all my mates went to another college , I didnt go coz it has poor results and is miles and miles away. I am not antisocial and made some friends but they all dropped out, and everyone else is friends with people from school. I also hate my subjects. One of my teachers hates me, I have no idea why considering I got an A in the exam. She always picks on me and is making me go to extra lessons coz apparently I don't try enough, I honestly do try as hard as I can but I just can't do this topic. Some nights I spend hours trying to learn the stuff. All my other teachers think I'm wired coz I have no friends. I failed 2 of my 4 exams too. I dread going in everyday. I can't believe my life has come to this. Please help, I don't think I can stand it any more.
Reply 1
:console:

Did you discuss this with your parents? What did they say? I'm very sorry to hear this. Could you get some other teachers to help you out with the subjects you're having problems with?
Reply 2
Why are people obessesed with having friends in the same college as them? You're only there for two years. Tough it out and it will be worth it.
Reply 3
I'm not even an external student and yet I hate sixth form.
Original post by Iron Lady
Why are people obessesed with having friends in the same college as them? You're only there for two years. Tough it out and it will be worth it.

This. Unless you're being bullied OP, you shouldn't really let your lack of popularity with other students put you off doing well in your studies. If it's that bad, maybe you should just try sticking it out till the end of this academic year at least? Then see your results and review your time in sixth form to see whether it's worth transferring to somewhere else or not?
Original post by Onlyboyintheworld
Hi, I'm considering dropping out of sixth form. Please let me know what you think I should do . I got really good gcse grades last summer and am now at sixth form where I do 4 as levels. I thought it would be really good and had planned to go to university, but I hate it because I know NOBODY , all my mates went to another college , I didnt go coz it has poor results and is miles and miles away. I am not antisocial and made some friends but they all dropped out, and everyone else is friends with people from school. I also hate my subjects. One of my teachers hates me, I have no idea why considering I got an A in the exam. She always picks on me and is making me go to extra lessons coz apparently I don't try enough, I honestly do try as hard as I can but I just can't do this topic. Some nights I spend hours trying to learn the stuff. All my other teachers think I'm wired coz I have no friends. I failed 2 of my 4 exams too. I dread going in everyday. I can't believe my life has come to this. Please help, I don't think I can stand it any more.

If you hate your subjects, transfer next year to a school which does subjects you enjoy. Then take the rest of these months to learn for them. But as for the friends thing, believe me I'm in the same position. But remember it's only two years! What works for me is trying to go up to them and start small conversations which become longer with time and before you know it you'll have some friends!

The teachers - tell your parents and/or head teacher. If you think they are picking or bulling you, you need to tell someone. Also remember there are other alternatives to A Levels if it's just that in general. But try talking to your family if you're uncomfortable with the people there, but I hope it works out!
As the mountain gets the higher, the more I climb. ~Blueray
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
I felt like this last year. I had one friend who went to high school with me. I did worse than I expected in my exams and I felt so terrible. But I buckled down and got some work done. I thought one of my teachers hated me but I now see she was trying to push me harder and this year I'm on track for an A* thanks to her. I also made some really really good friends by going on the french exchange. Don't be scared to go on trips like that because honestly I got on so great with everyone.
What do u plan on doing if u leave?
Reply 9
I'm sorry you feel this way man. I think the fact that you don't enjoy your subjects isn't a big deal, I hate all my A level subjects but I know I need to do well in them in order to get where I want to be. If you do subjects that you need to do in order to get into university then you should do it, all my friends do not like A level economics but they know it needs to be done. Your going to have to do things in life you don't wanna do mate. In regards to your friends situation, I wouldn't worry about that too much, although you do need a friend or two to keep you sane otherwise it will tear you apart. Try and mix more with people in your class, don't you do like group work in your classes? why not try make friends with them, infact you might meet a nice girl :tongue:
Reply 10
You could always do a level 3 with a levels on the side in a college if you hate it that much.
Original post by Onlyboyintheworld

Hi - have you spoken to anyone about the possibility of you being depressed? You sound so much like I was last year (and I've been in a cycle of clinical depression since I was 14). Have you tried seeing a counsellor - even one session could help you see the light in situations.

The good news - sixth form doesn't last long. I have a few weeks left in the second year and then we finish, yet it seems like yesterday when we were in the middle of the first year! Trust me, even if you hate it, it will fly by (and I speak from experience!) Since you are so far into your course already, I would suggest sticking it out, but obviously in the end it is up to you whether you think you can cope mentally.

Finally, you could try planning life after sixth form if you decide to stay. I found my perfect higher education course, and that got me some motivation to stick sixth form out. So maybe try researching great jobs or uni courses that you can have to look forward to after, or a gap year. It doesn't have to be what you stick with - just start yourself off dreaming about the possibilities to pass the time and sixth form will fly by.

Please feel free to PM me if you think it would help, you sound so so much like my situation last year so I feel really concerned about you!
Original post by Iron Lady

^ This. The year blazes by, and in the summer holidays you'll have time to relax. We've almost had 7 months since the start of the year.. it's gone by unbelievably quickly, so don't worry :smile: ignore your teacher, if they send you to extra classes then talk to your head of year, but remember what your teacher thinks of you means nothing - it's the grade that counts, and as you said, you've got the A. One of my teachers didn't like me at GCSE, moved me to the front, micro-managed my work etc. and I just ignored them, got the A*, and on results day I felt so smug when they were forced to say "good result.." in front of my parents :wink:
If you really feel that unhappy then I suggest that you should drop out. That doesn't mean that you should give up on your studies, you could spend some time thinking about what subjects you would enjoy and maybe start your AS year again at a different college.

Quick Reply

Latest