The Student Room Group

Chemistry vs Biochemistry

Hi all was wondering whats the major difference between the two? Will doing one completely rule me out of a certian job after the degree? I don't study maths atm but do biology and chemistry.
thankyou
Biochemistry is like a combonation of all three sciences.
Chemistry... is Chemistry.
In your case I would recommend biochemistry, chemistry at undergraduate level has lots of elements of A-level maths, that anyone would find very difficult with out any qualifications in maths beyond GCSE.

However there are more jobs available for chemistry graduates, that are also very well paid, jobs for biochem graduates are very competitive.
Original post by Skipper23
Hi all was wondering whats the major difference between the two? Will doing one completely rule me out of a certian job after the degree? I don't study maths atm but do biology and chemistry.
thankyou

Chemistry is better.
Reply 4
They've very different degrees, with extremely different job markets at the end. You definitely need to work out which area you want to end up in before you decide on the degree choice. I'd say take a look at the modules that each degree contains on some universities' websites and see which appeals to you more. Then you can also take a look at any jobs you know of, see which area they focus on, and which you'd rather be in.

But again, the lack of maths is NOT an issue at all. You'll be able to pick it up at uni if you need to!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending