The Student Room Group

OCR MEI FP1 May 18th 2012 PRE/POST DISCUSSION!

Couldn't find a thread on here for the exam so I made one, please discuss and good luck to everyone sitting this tommorow!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hate sketching graphs. It's just so long!
Reply 2
Was just about to make this thread but you beat me to it...has everybody seen the online revision sessions on http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/onlinerevision.php...? They go through the entire syllabus and are very useful...they are broadcast live and we've missed FP1 but recordings are available on the link and they are still great revision tools :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Have this tomorrow, bit of a boring exam, how does everyone feel for time in FP1 when they have been doing past papers? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by skibur
Have this tomorrow, bit of a boring exam, how does everyone feel for time in FP1 when they have been doing past papers? :smile:

Time is fine just need to make sure I know matrices because I HATE them and a few other things. I need to make sure I don't make silly unnecessary mistakes etc.

Still hoping for an A 85+UMS hopefully, but I have C2 first then Fp1 straight after :mad:
Reply 5
How do you do:

Find the values of A, B, C and D in the identity 2x^3 3 (x + 3)(Ax^2 + Bx + C) + D
Reply 6
Original post by mora11
Time is fine just need to make sure I know matrices because I HATE them and a few other things. I need to make sure I don't make silly unnecessary mistakes etc.

Still hoping for an A 85+UMS hopefully, but I have C2 first then Fp1 straight after :mad:

Same, I find like the paper is designed for making arithmetic errors rather than testing actual maths though. Yeah, for matrices, in particular transformations, I find a bit of trial and error is needed.

Yeah I had to do that last year; needless to say as soon as I got in I fell asleep aha! and im hoping for a 90+ as this is a resit for me :smile:.
Reply 7
Original post by happyman888
How do you do:

Find the values of A, B, C and D in the identity 2x^3 3 (x + 3)(Ax^2 + Bx + C) + D

Just done that exact question.

I expanded the RHS and then equated the coefficients.
So if 2x^3 = Ax^3 then A=2... etc until you've found them all
Reply 8
Clashing C2 with FP1. Nice one MEI :P
Reply 9
Original post by happyman888
How do you do:

I did that question too but I'm not sure if my answer's right... does anyone have the markscheme for that paper?? (Jan 2012)
Reply 10
I did that question too but I'm not sure if my answer's right... does anyone have the markscheme for that paper?? (Jan 2012)

I don't have the mark scheme but this is what I got. (I might be wrong, but if it's the same, chances are we're both right) :P

Spoiler

Original post by kingkong95
I don't have the mark scheme but this is what I got. (I might be wrong, but if it's the same, chances are we're both right) :P

Spoiler

I have a mark scheme and can confirm that this is correct :smile:
Original post by Blazy
Clashing C2 with FP1. Nice one MEI :P

Apparently the thing that most centres do is enter candidates for AS and A2 maths in one year, then AS and A2 further maths the year after...though my school, and evidently yours, does not... :smile:
Reply 13
how did everyone find it? :smile:
Reply 14
Okay except at the last minuite, i changed 1)iii) from y=x to y=-x
XD

Thought it was easier than C2...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
It was probably one of the easiest FP1 papers I've ever done, the matrix question at the end was easy, and the proof by induction and sum of differences questions were probably the easiest ones possible!
Reply 16
What did people get for the sum of differences question?
Reply 17
Original post by uttamo

10 divided by something :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by uttamo

I can't remember, but something like 10/63? :dontknow:
Reply 19
Original post by Silent--ly
I can't remember, but something like 10/63? :dontknow:

Yeah I got something like that too.

But how did you find the det of a 3x3 matrix :|

Quick Reply

Latest