The Student Room Group

Political science and IR society

Scroll to see replies

Hi. I study A level politics and will probably be applying for PPE/ESPS/Politics+Economics next year, so thought I might as well join this.:smile:
Reply 881
Original post by milkytea
Hi. I study A level politics and will probably be applying for PPE/ESPS/Politics+Economics next year, so thought I might as well join this.:smile:

Good Luck :biggrin:
Reply 882
So, er, hello...

:K:

I'm aplying to university fairly soon (or at least I hope) for Politics. I've opted to apply for two AAB universities, two ABB universities and a BBB one as a back-up. However, I'm stuck for ideas of where to apply as a back-up - so does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, my predictions are AAAa, but I got BBC in my ASs, so I'm not really expecting to get any offers from anywhere asking for As... So this back-up choice may be vital!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by toasteh
So, er, hello...

:K:

I'm aplying to university fairly soon (or at least I hope) for Politics. I've opted to apply for two AAB universities, two ABB universities and a BBB one as a back-up. However, I'm stuck for ideas of where to apply as a back-up - so does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, my predictions are AAAa, but I got BBC in my ASs, so I'm not really expecting to get any offers from anywhere asking for As... So this back-up choice may be vital!

Have you tried Aberystwyth? Not that I'm biased at all... :wink:
Original post by IlexAquifolium
Visited Essex, thought it was too remote. Aston was too small, Nottingham's course was rubbish, and Warwick I didn't like. Which is why you should never just pick five randomly on the advice of your (horrible) careers adviser.

As it happens I really liked Birmingham, so it was a good choice for me and one I'm glad I made. But looking back I shouldn't have picked those other four.

Stop making me feel old! :p:

What careers do people from a Politics or IR degree get into?
Original post by kevin6767
Bonjour, I shall (hopefully) be undertaking a politics course in 2011 at uni :smile: Soon I shall be working as an assistant in the EU parliament, hello free european travel :P only 9ish more months before uni :smile:

OMG that's amazing! How did you get that? Is their pay good (the people that actually work there) What uni's did you apply to?
Hello, I'm very soon applying for Politics and IR. my 5 choices are York, Exeter,Birmingham, Manchester and Sussex. Just awaiting my teacher's reference...... :eek:
But I'm still wondering whether to choose Sussex or Essex. What do you think? Which one is better according to you? :confused:
Thank you.
Reply 887
hello all, i have firmed Pol & IR at University of Manchester.

anyone else?
Reply 888
Sadly I'm on the verge of entering my 4th year!
Original post by danielj315
Sadly I'm on the verge of entering my 4th year!

why?? at manchesta ?
Reply 890
Original post by SAMIR.NASRI
why?? at manchesta ?

I mean continuing into my 4th Year out of 4 at a Scottish uni!
Reply 891
Hi everyone! im thinking of applying for international relations/ politics this year but the problem is i dont know very much about the subject. Could someone please tell me about it? Is there a lot of reading? is it very hard?
Original post by m18
Hi everyone! im thinking of applying for international relations/ politics this year but the problem is i dont know very much about the subject. Could someone please tell me about it? Is there a lot of reading? is it very hard?

Well, not yet being a politics student, I can't comment on a degree level but I take a level politics and there is looooooads of reading involved in that, I think you should enjoy reading if you are htinking about politics as you need to understand key thinkers and concepts and without reading their works, you will not know what it's about!

Hard or not - depends on the uni I would guess. Apply to Oxbridge - hard. Apply to Manchester Met- less hard. If you love debate and discussion of world topics, more often than not you will love politics.
Reply 894
Hello, fellow TSers.

The problem I am facing is whether to have an insurance choice or not. I mean, I am about to submit my UCAS application, and my choices include York, Sheffield, UCL, King's and Warwick all of which are quite demanding for Politics and IR courses...

Thus, I wonder whether I should have one less demanding choice? What university would you suggest for IR and Politics, which would be quite good but not so demanding in terms of entrance requirements?
Reply 895
Original post by Eastern
Hello, fellow TSers.

The problem I am facing is whether to have an insurance choice or not. I mean, I am about to submit my UCAS application, and my choices include York, Sheffield, UCL, King's and Warwick all of which are quite demanding for Politics and IR courses...

Thus, I wonder whether I should have one less demanding choice? What university would you suggest for IR and Politics, which would be quite good but not so demanding in terms of entrance requirements?

You should.

Try a department like Birmingham? They're good.
Have people heard from Warwick yet?
Reply 897
Original post by simoncino
Have people heard from Warwick yet?

Nope. Not yet.
Reply 898

Was reminded of this earlier and it made me think back to my undergrad...
^ Hahaha, that's brilliant! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest