The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Definitely thinking of applying to Cambridge, but I am still thinking about the college. All of them have some many great singular features about them. I'll make my mind up soon though.
Reply 41
So, how far along the application have you guys come? I am in the process of writing my personal statement and will, when I eventually am finished, start practicing for the BMATs.
Original post by crimlex
So, how far along the application have you guys come? I am in the process of writing my personal statement and will, when I eventually am finished, start practicing for the BMATs.

I've written the majority of my PS (got three lines left to sum up). However I've got my Ukcat coming up in a week or so, and then its going to be major BMAT revision for me. Our school takes in our application 3/4 weeks before UCAS deadline though. I can't believe applying to university has come round so fast! :nope:
Reply 43
I have not started writing my personal statement :wink:.
Been on holiday for a month, got back a couple of days before results day. UKCAT is on the 24th.
I'm putting everything on hold until after my UKCAT. Then I'll start on my PS. I also bought the Kaplan BMAT book (cost a fortune, better be worth it god damnit). Such a big book compared to the other 'official' BMAT book :L. I guess I've got to start reading it sometime...
Original post by Iepnauy
I have not started writing my personal statement :wink:.
Been on holiday for a month, got back a couple of days before results day. UKCAT is on the 24th.
I'm putting everything on hold until after my UKCAT. Then I'll start on my PS. I also bought the Kaplan BMAT book (cost a fortune, better be worth it god damnit). Such a big book compared to the other 'official' BMAT book :L. I guess I've got to start reading it sometime...

Good Luck for Wednesday!! I got that BMAT book too, I hope its worth it...
Reply 45
Original post by Sailingslipelick
Good Luck for Wednesday!! I got that BMAT book too, I hope its worth it...

Ha, Good luck to you too! I'm sure you'll ace it :wink:.
Reply 46
Hey everyone. Can I just say - Cmon Caius! I hope you all the best in ur applications and don't hesitate to contact me about them. Btw, Caius interviews 80% of applicants, not 100% (unless their policy has changed). At least u all agree on the best university :biggrin:
Reply 47
BTW, I am in no way biased *looks around uneasily* but Caius is by far the best college.
I have low UMS :frown: , gonna do 2 resits in January to make it upto about 90% average UMS.

Need to absolutely ace my BMAT !
Reply 49
I am def considering it but not too fond of BMAT. Will make up my mind in around a week. :smile:
Reply 50
does selection vary from college to college? what is the general selection process? thanks :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by hassan_s
Hey everyone. Can I just say - Cmon Caius! I hope you all the best in ur applications and don't hesitate to contact me about them. Btw, Caius interviews 80% of applicants, not 100% (unless their policy has changed). At least u all agree on the best university :biggrin:

Wait wut? Why does the website say they interview everyone? :hmmm:
http://www.cai.cam.ac.uk/medicine
Oh well :smile:. Still going to apply there :L

As far as logistics allow, we like to make our decision for all candidates based on as much information as possible and therefore we currently offer interviews to all applicants.
Reply 52
Are colleges lower down the tompkins table generally less strict on BMAT scores?
Original post by Ganky
Are colleges lower down the tompkins table generally less strict on BMAT scores?

It's pretty hard to tell to be honest. I don't think you'd be able to find that out easily.
Hey all - Good luck to getting into Cambridge... Hard times are upon us :frown:

But I've got some questions...:smile:
How hard is to get into Churchill? (Sorry about not sharing any enthusiasm for Caius or Emma! :biggrin:)
Also I was wondering... How can you prep for the BMAT?:s-smilie:
And will Cambridge look down on you if you did 5 AS? :confused:
Original post by xLittleSmirkx
Hey all - Good luck to getting into Cambridge... Hard times are upon us :frown:

But I've got some questions...:smile:
How hard is to get into Churchill? (Sorry about not sharing any enthusiasm for Caius or Emma! :biggrin:)
Also I was wondering... How can you prep for the BMAT?:s-smilie:
And will Cambridge look down on you if you did 5 AS? :confused:

Hard to say how difficult it is for a particular college. Most will be roughly the same, and it can vary year by year.

Revise GCSE Science, use the preparation books. Do the past papers.

Why would they look down on you for 5 AS?
Original post by Chief Wiggum

Why would they look down on you for 5 AS?

Because every teacher, both VI form college and those I've spoken to at Cambridge did the whole *wince* *pained look* and "Are you sure?" Plus, there were these stories about awesome students who weren't accepted - not helped by the fact that most of my classmates never fail to remind me of those unfortunate peeps...
Because every teacher, both VI form college and those I've spoken to at Cambridge did the whole *wince* *pained look* and "Are you sure?" Plus, there were these stories about awesome students who weren't accepted - not helped by the fact that most of my classmates never fail to remind me of those unfortunate peeps...

I'm just not sure what you mean by looking down because of 5 AS.

Most people will have 4 (maybe 5 if you include GS/CT but they're ignored anyway).
Reply 58

Probably because they care about UMS %, average person with an offer has average 96% UMS at my school, so with 5 subjects that's harder to get for very little gain.
Original post by Ganky
Probably because they care about UMS %, average person with an offer has average 96% UMS at my school, so with 5 subjects that's harder to get for very little gain.

Oh it's not even about Cambridge - they just think that I won't get a single A at the end of it :mad: and overall not get into any university, let alone Cambridge.