Reply 40
Original post by Andylol
I feel like the OP is trolling a bit...

lolwut? how?..
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by Origami Bullets
It's not difficult - you walk up to the tower and tailgate someone in. That said, if you try and do it on a friday / saturday night and you go as a group all clutching bottles of vodka, then security are liable to stop you.

Nah, I did it on a Friday as pre drinks for Bop and it was fine :smile: some of my friends marker penned peoples doors though and were sick in their bathrooms, which just isn't nice. I wouldn't recommend the tower at all-you could walk out of your room and find strangers vomming all over your living room.
Reply 42
Original post by Clez
how has this been negged? whats so negative about not knowing what something is and asking?

I imagine it's because if you'd bothered to read posts above the one you were replying to, you'd've seen that someone had already explained what the tower challenge was.
Reply 43
Original post by 4RealBlud
are there any halls that are really lively and sociable yet quite enough to study for a hard course? How boring are Victoria and City?

Be careful, what they say "lively and sociable" when describing fallowfield, the liveliness turn out to be some lads chundering everywhere while trying to do the tower challenge, and sociable means that your room will be knocked every 20 mins by some crazy drunk person/people asking to go for a club.. A huge percentage of them fail their course from the first year. I live in Dalton Ellis (victoria park), I admit, it is not that lively and there is no crazy parties going on but I can find lots of people to go out for a club with or hang around during the day. If you are a party animal, and if you believe you won't fail your course while waking up every nite because of the loud music, and the noise of nearby parties going on or because of the fire alarms set on a regular basis , choose fallowfield.. Don't go for the city centre, those halls are like f**kin ghost towns.. But if you want a quiet weekday and a crazy weekend, you can choose Victoria Park ( Don't go for Victoria Hall though, that place is isolated, go for a large catered hall like hulme, so that you can meet lots of people from your hall, a great diversity really.)

And my last tip: Don't choose the high-demand halls only, you might end up being placed to somewhere completely different than what you want.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Bilgin143
Be careful, what they say "lively and sociable" when describing fallowfield, the liveliness turn out to be some lads chundering everywhere while trying to do the tower challenge, and sociable means that your room will be knocked every 20 mins by some crazy drunk person/people asking to go for a club.. A huge percentage of them fail their course from the first year. I live in Dalton Ellis (victoria park), I admit, it is not that lively and there is no crazy parties going on but I can find lots of people to go out for a club with or hang around during the day. If you are a party animal, and if you believe you won't fail your course while waking up every nite because of the loud music, and the noise of nearby parties going on or because of the fire alarms set on a regular basis , choose fallowfield.. Don't go for the city centre, those halls are like f**kin ghost towns.. But if you want a quiet weekday and a crazy weekend, you can choose Victoria Park ( Don't go for Victoria Hall though, that place is isolated, go for a large catered hall like hulme, so that you can meet lots of people from your hall, a great diversity really.)

And my last tip: Don't choose the high-demand halls only, you might end up being placed to somewhere completely different than what you want.

oh sweet! Thank a lot. i was actually quite worried about that. Theres sociable and fun and theres irritating and grim. So other than hulme, which other victoria halls are sciable? Also, how about some of the quieter catered fallowfield halls, like ashburne?
Reply 45
oh sweet! Thank a lot. i was actually quite worried about that. Theres sociable and fun and theres irritating and grim. So other than hulme, which other victoria halls are sciable? Also, how about some of the quieter catered fallowfield halls, like ashburne?

Dalton-Ellis and Hulme are the only catered halls in Victoria Park that are sociable and fun.. St Anslems, catered, is ok too, but its all male. Despite that fact ,they have a really cheap bar that attracts students from other halls, and it must be fun as it has the highest reapplication rate. Ashburne is a good choice, but as it is 80% girls, its hard to get in as a guy, as far as I know all of my friends and I have applied to ashburne, and none of us could get in.. Sheavyn house can be an alternative, shares the same park as Ashburne, so it should be quiet, and they are really sociable too. Sheavyn is self catered, but I think you can have a meal arrangement wth asburne if you wish. I have been to an Ashburne Party for the 4th time last Saturday and it was mental.. 4 quids for a club entrance, bus and drinks in the hall, and crazy stuff going around :biggrin: But still, my friends and I didn't cause as much trouble as we did in OP the week before, because we couldn't wander around the corridors without a swipe card.. Woolton hall, and Allen hall can be catered alternatives as social and quiet Fallowfield halls too.. I've applied for Woolton, but couldn't get it..

Don't forget that both Sheavyn house and Ashburne are on high demand so fill your application wisely :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by Bilgin143
Dalton-Ellis and Hulme are the only catered halls in Victoria Park that are sociable and fun.. St Anslems, catered, is ok too, but its all male. Despite that fact ,they have a really cheap bar that attracts students from other halls, and it must be fun as it has the highest reapplication rate. Ashburne is a good choice, but as it is 80% girls, its hard to get in as a guy, as far as I know all of my friends and I have applied to ashburne, and none of us could get in.. Sheavyn house can be an alternative, shares the same park as Ashburne, so it should be quiet, and they are really sociable too. Sheavyn is self catered, but I think you can have a meal arrangement wth asburne if you wish. I have been to an Ashburne Party for the 4th time last Saturday and it was mental.. 4 quids for a club entrance, bus and drinks in the hall, and crazy stuff going around :biggrin: But still, my friends and I didn't cause as much trouble as we did in OP the week before, because we couldn't wander around the corridors without a swipe card.. Woolton hall, and Allen hall can be catered alternatives as social and quiet Fallowfield halls too.. I've applied for Woolton, but couldn't get it..

Don't forget that both Sheavyn house and Ashburne are on high demand so fill your application wisely :smile:

Thanks again dude, but according to their site ashburne isnt high demand..
http://search.accommodation.manchester.ac.uk/Hall/Fallowfield/Ashburne%20Hall
80% girls? Really? Is that from anecdotal experience? If its 80%, wouldnt that kinda be a good thing? :biggrin:

Now that i come to think of it, i think sheavyne will be my first, with either hulme, ashburne or woolton hall as my 2nd and 3rd. For now :biggrin:
Reply 47
Original post by Ender1
I imagine it's because if you'd bothered to read posts above the one you were replying to, you'd've seen that someone had already explained what the tower challenge was.

well if you'd read it properly, you'd see i came on quite late on the thread posting about something totally different and someone engaged ME in the topic separately, and i didnt bother reading the whole thread because it was several pages long and i have more things to do with my life than sit on tsr all day long reading through pages of comments from people i dont know and never will.
Reply 48
Original post by Clez
well if you'd read it properly, you'd see i came on quite late on the thread posting about something totally different and someone engaged ME in the topic separately, and i didnt bother reading the whole thread because it was several pages long and i have more things to do with my life than sit on tsr all day long reading through pages of comments from people i dont know and never will.

Grow up.

How are you ever suppose to fully engage in a thread if you don't bother reading the comments which have been previous posted. ''Better things to do'' - it would probably take you about 5, 10 mins MAX to read through this whole thread so if you really had that much better things to do you probably be doing it and not posting at all.

I also would probably guess it's either because it's already been described earlier on or/and someone just likes negging people as there are quite a few in this thread which don't really have a valid reason to be negged.
Reply 49
Original post by gummers
Grow up.

How are you ever suppose to fully engage in a thread if you don't bother reading the comments which have been previous posted. ''Better things to do'' - it would probably take you about 5, 10 mins MAX to read through this whole thread so if you really had that much better things to do you probably be doing it and not posting at all.

I also would probably guess it's either because it's already been described earlier on or/and someone just likes negging people as there are quite a few in this thread which don't really have a valid reason to be negged.

my extended apologies
Reply 50
Original post by Clez
my extended apologies

Thank you very much. The change you made in that whole 3 hours 32 minutes is astonishing. & will also be greatly appreciated by the rest of TSR. Keep up the good work.
80% girls? Really? Is that from anecdotal experience? If its 80%, wouldnt that kinda be a good thing? :biggrin:

Now that i come to think of it, i think sheavyne will be my first, with either hulme, ashburne or woolton hall as my 2nd and 3rd. For now :biggrin:

Ashburne is 80% girls because it's female only with only 1 mixed block.
Reply 52
Original post by gummers
Thank you very much. The change you made in that whole 3 hours 32 minutes is astonishing. & will also be greatly appreciated by the rest of TSR. Keep up the good work.

Yes sir, enjoy your apple
Reply 53

It is 80%.. 2 wings are for only girls, and the block between them is mixed, and it is a good thing :biggrin:.. Believe me, every guy I know applied for ashburne :P

And good choices btw .. Good luck :P
Hey guys,
I've an unconditional offer for 2012. I'm international and undecided if i'm going to the UK ( mainly because my parents prefer me to continue my education in Australia but their unis only hands out offers late Jan)

I'm mainly worried that if i send in my accommodation applications too late, I'd end up not getting the choices that I'd prefer. Is there a "safe" date that i should send my application in?

Apart from that, Manchester seems to be a pretty awesome place! Looking forward to the life there!
Reply 55
Original post by iamlovinit05
Hey guys,
I've an unconditional offer for 2012. I'm international and undecided if i'm going to the UK ( mainly because my parents prefer me to continue my education in Australia but their unis only hands out offers late Jan)

I'm mainly worried that if i send in my accommodation applications too late, I'd end up not getting the choices that I'd prefer. Is there a "safe" date that i should send my application in?

Apart from that, Manchester seems to be a pretty awesome place! Looking forward to the life there!

It is!
& there is no safe date that I know of, however, I applied for mine in March/April I think and I got my first choice of what was a 'High demand' hall :smile:

Where you thinking of applying too?
Original post by gummers
It is!
& there is no safe date that I know of, however, I applied for mine in March/April I think and I got my first choice of what was a 'High demand' hall :smile:

Where you thinking of applying too?

Which hall are you staying at?

I'm not too sure which one i'll apply for yet. Still deciding between catered or self-catered. Not sure if i'll have the budget to eat out every day!

Which hall's you recommend?
Reply 57
Which hall are you staying at?

I'm not too sure which one i'll apply for yet. Still deciding between catered or self-catered. Not sure if i'll have the budget to eat out every day!

Which hall's you recommend?

I'm staying at Lambert & Fairfield hall (Fairfield) in the city.

Depends what you want out of your hall, they're very different some of them. If you tell me what you're looking for I can guide you a bit better. I've been to every hall apart from those in Victoria park soo
Original post by gummers
I'm staying at Lambert & Fairfield hall (Fairfield) in the city.

Depends what you want out of your hall, they're very different some of them. If you tell me what you're looking for I can guide you a bit better. I've been to every hall apart from those in Victoria park soo

Hello,

Hmm, I'm probably looking for a hall that has a good balance between fun and studies. No doubt having fun is important , I'll also want to be able to study when the need calls for it.

Hows life in your hall? Enjoying it?
Reply 59
Hello,

Hmm, I'm probably looking for a hall that has a good balance between fun and studies. No doubt having fun is important , I'll also want to be able to study when the need calls for it.

Hows life in your hall? Enjoying it?

I personally think Fallowfield is the best place to live, definitely the place to be for fun and if your will is strong enough you can always use the libraries to study if not your flat.

In Fallowfield I recommend Oak House

Quick Reply