The Student Room Group

AQA AS Chemistry UNIT 1: ISA Revision

Current Status: Inactive! (Update: Will be updated again on 17/02/13)

There doesn't seem to be a useful AQA AS Chemistry (UNIT 3) ISA Past Paper thread, so I though I would make one, to help you all out!
You can contribute to the past paper collection by: Sending me a PDF file, for either the P, Q or X paper series.

Important Note:
There are no January/ June ISA papers- The papers can be done at any time during the year, before the submission date (usually 14th may). The P series tend to be the easier paper, so teachers usually make you do them first, but if you flop it and have to retake (assuming that you are allowed to retake)- then you do the Q series. Some school's/ college's instead do the X series.

Main Section- Past Papers
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part 1-> Sub Section

Useful ISA Link:
http://alevelchem.com/aqa_a_level_chemistry/unit3.3/3.30.htm

Route T:

CHM3T/P10/test = Question Paper (Written Test).
CHM3T/P10/MG = Marking Guidlines.
CHM3T/P10/Task = Task sheet.
CHM3T/P10/TN = Teacher's Note.
This example is for the: P 2010 series.

2007= Specimen Paper
2008= There is none. In 2008, students only had one ISA paper to sit, which is in the paper series (unit) 3P.

Past Paper Series: P - 2009-2011. -> ALWAYS Titration.
Time: 1 hour
Attachment:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21194816/Chemistry+ISA.zip
Missing: 2011

CHM3T/Q10/test = Question Paper (Written Test).
CHM3T/Q10/MG = Marking Guidelines.
CHM3T/Q10/Task = Task sheet.
CHM3T/Q10/TN = Teacher's Note.
This example is for the: Q 2010 series.

Past Paper Series: Q - 2009-2011. = Second Isa Paper- On group 2 metals & enthalpy change.
Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Attachment:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21302236/AQA+AS+Chemistry+ISA-+Paper+Series-+Q.zip
Missing: 2012

2013 Paper's can NOT be discussed/ posted until after June 2013.

Note: Make sure to get atleast 1 copy of an ISA past paper YOU are going to do. Also ask your teacher (to make sure) how long your ISA examination is going to be for. Depending on his/her response and your ISA past paper, that will determine which ISA paper series you should revise; as now you know the duration of your examination! :smile:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part 2-> Sub Section

I split these past papers into a separate sub section, because it's like a whole different style of ISA paper marking (they also have two tasks)- I have no idea why AQA did this??? Maybe just to make more ISA papers for us to do, as they both are AQA ISA past papers :P.

Route X:

AQA-CHM3X-PM1-W-QP-JUN10 = Question Paper (Written Test).
AQA-CHM3X-W-MS-JUN10 = Marking Guidelines.
AQA-CHM3X-PM1-W-QP-JUN10= Task sheet 1.
AQA-CHM3X-PM2-W-QP-JUN10 = Task sheet 2.
AQA-CHM3XTN-W-TN-JUN10 = Teachers Notes.
This example is for the: X 2010 series.

Past Paper Series: X - 2009-2011.
Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Attachment:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21292111/AQA+AS+Chemistry+ISA-+Paper+Series-+X.zip
Missing: 2012.

This past ISA paper is no longer active, but I'll post it anyway for revision:
AQA-CHM3P-W-QP-JUN08 = Question Paper (Written Test).
AQA-CHM3P-W-MS-JUN08 = Mark Scheme.
This example is for the: 3P 2008 series.

Past Paper Series: 3P - 2002-2008.
Time: 2 hour
Attachment:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21292119/AQA+AS+Chemistry+ISA-+Paper+Series-+3P.zip

Note: Unit 3(b) is the practical paper, therefore is an ISA paper, so it is in the attachments. Unit 3(a) is an Organic Chemistry Question Paper- so they are not included in the attachment, but if you still want to look it up, just check out the website link in the credits section. Remember go to the sections June 2002-> June2008 = The file is named AQA-CHM3W-W-QP-Jun200?. ?= 2-8.

2013 Paper's can NOT be discussed/ posted until after June 2013.

Credits/ Sources for Past Paper contributions:
AQA exam board, obviously.
R88ney (Myself)- Via google search/ teacher.
http://www.freeexampapers.com/past_papers.php?l=Past_Papers%2FA+Level%2FChemistry%2FAQA%2F&fb_source=message

Part 3- Sub section

Questions helped to solve/ show solution:

Chemistry ISA CHM3T/P09 (2009):
Q2:
SOLVED by: AspiringGenius - Page 1
(2 marks)

Chemistry ISA CHM3T/P10 (2010)- Question on percent yield:
Q15:
SOLVED by: Mr Tough - Page 1
Alternative solving method by: Tullia - Page 1
(3 marks)

Chemistry ISA CHM3T/P07 (Specimen Paper)
Q7:
SOLVED by: Tullia - Page 2

If you find any other questions/ problems which you want help with to solve, from a AQA chemistry ISA past paper from whichever series, feel free to post the question. I will try to solve it but If I can't, I'm sure somebody else will help to solve:smile:.

But as of now, everything has been solved :smile:.
Part 4- Sub Section:

Grade Boundaries:

http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php
Convert AQA Raw marks into UMS :smile:

P.S=
My attachments contain NO viruses I can assure you, feel free to ask a moderator to confirm if the link has a virus or not. But I can assure you it doesn't. If it contain's the slightly bit of malware/ trojan/ virus etc- the mod's can permantely ban me :P.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you must be missing some information there, i can only see a way to work out moles of CH3COOH , but cannot go any further ..
Number of moles (NaOH:CH3COOH)=1:1

C=N/V, therefore CV=N

N(NaOH)= 8.33/1000 x 0.100.

I cba to work that out. Now. I am going to assume you had 25cm3 of CH3COOH as that is the conventional amount when doing titrations.

In this case C(CH3COOH)=N(NaOH)/V (25.0/1000)

Hope I helped :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by AspiringGenius
Number of moles (NaOH:CH3COOH)=1:1

C=N/V, therefore CV=N

N(NaOH)= 8.33/1000 x 0.100.

I cba to work that out. Now. I am going to assume you had 25cm3 of CH3COOH as that is the conventional amount when doing titrations.

In this case C(CH3COOH)=N(NaOH)/V (25.0/1000)

Hope I helped :smile:

So 8.33x10^-4 divide by 25x10^-3 = 0.0333 mol dm^-3 (3.s.f).
Thanks for that, I didn't relise you had to use 25 cm^3 into the equation to work out the ethanol acid, from the moles you obtained. Because, I thought it might involve the Mr in some way...
P10 Chem 3t ISA paper btw.
Answers (MS) just say: Correct use of M1V1 = M2V2 scores two marks.

Original post by Mr Tough
you must be missing some information there, i can only see a way to work out moles of CH3COOH , but cannot go any further ..

Nope not missing anything, that's how the paper was given, without the task sheet. The question I posted was the enitre thing; no parts were missing out.

In the task sheet, under procedure:
Using a pipette filler, rinse the pipette with the sodium hydroxide solution provided. Using this
pipette, transfer 25.0 cm3 of the sodium hydroxide solution to a 250 cm3 conical flask.

Could somebody solve the next question, this question totally baffled me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
oh that makes sense, so "aspy" was correct in assuming 25 cm3. if you are willing to wait another hour i'll do it (dinner is getting cold!)
Reply 5
oh that makes sense, so "aspy" was correct in assuming 25 cm3. if you are willing to wait another hour i'll do it (dinner is getting cold!)

Yeah sure, I am willing to wait :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by r88ney
Does anybody have the CHM/P11/Test basically the June2011 test sheet and MG (marking guidlines). It's a PAST Paper and I've got the Task and section A of the test, but my teacher went over section B on the PC, with her markscheme. She said she was going to send it to us, but we haven't recieved a reply, because she has been ill.
I've got the P09 and P10 but anybody have P11 would be greatly appreciated.

Also on P09 I'm kinda stuck on a question:
First question:
SOLVED by: AspiringGenius
(2 marks)

Another question I dont understand:
UNSOLVED STILL: Date 16/1/12

A second method by which ethanoic acid is synthesised involves the oxidative fermentation of ethanol in the presence of bacteria. The equation representing this reaction is given below.

C2H5OH + O2 --> CH3COOH + H2O

In a small scale experiment using this second method it was found that 23.0 g of ethanol produced only 4.54 g of ethanoic acid.
Calculate the percentage yield for this experiment.
Show your working.

Acutua yield= 4.54g
Theoretical yield= ?

Actual yield / theoretical yield x 100 = Ans

How do you figure out theoretical yield because I understand everything else. 23.0g is not the theoretical yield (usually in the question it states it, but not in this one) Help?

so 23 grams of ethanol has been used. moles = mass / mr

mass = 23 g
mr = (12x2)+(6x1)+16 = 46

moles = 0.5

hence moles of ethanoic acid also equals 0.5

mr of ethanoic acid is 24+4+32=60

moles x mr = mass
0.5 x 60 = mass = 30 g

hence theoretical mass is 30g

4.54/30 x 100 = percentage yield = 15.13 %

:wink:
Reply 7
so 23 grams of ethanol has been used. moles = mass / mr

mass = 23 g
mr = (12x2)+(6x1)+16 = 46

moles = 0.5

hence moles of ethanoic acid also equals 0.5

mr of ethanoic acid is 24+4+32=60

moles x mr = mass
0.5 x 60 = mass = 30 g

hence theoretical mass is 30g

4.54/30 x 100 = percentage yield = 15.13 %

:wink:

You sir are a genious! :biggrin:
Greatly appreciate the time and effort you spent doing this, now I finally understand theoretical yield xD
Reply 8
Original post by r88ney
You sir are a genious! :biggrin:
Greatly appreciate the time and effort you spent doing this, now I finally understand theoretical yield xD

no problem, glad to be of help :smile:

Do you have an ISA paper some time soon? I think my class is having ours next week

Do you have an ISA paper some time soon? I think my class is having ours next week

Just answered this myself on the other thread, as it seemed to be causing a bit of a ruckus. See you beat me to it though, so the glory is yours.

I've got my Biology & Chemistry ISA exams next week. :smile: Good luck with it/them. :smile:
Reply 10

Original post by Tullia
Just answered this myself on the other thread, as it seemed to be causing a bit of a ruckus. See you beat me to it though, so the glory is yours.

I've got my Biology & Chemistry ISA exams next week. :smile: Good luck with it/them. :smile:

Hmmm....
130 x 23 = 3000 not 30 lol.

However (60mr divide by 46mr) x 23 = 30g
Now that is some super simplified way to work percent yield out

Now that's the third way I learnt how to work it out .

Regarding the Chemistry ISA. I did it yesterday, but obviously I can't discuss about it.
Biology ISA is also next week :frown:
Physics Exam this friday, and physics ISA probably also next week...

I absolutely hate doing ISA's, don't mind the practicals and the calculations, but answering those damn general knowledge questions are always hard (on nearly all past papers).
Original post by r88ney
Hmmm....
130 x 23 = 3000 not 30 lol.

However (60mr divide by 46mr) x 23 = 30g
Now that is some super simplified way to work percent yield out

Now that's the third way I learnt how to work it out .

Regarding the Chemistry ISA. I did it yesterday, but obviously I can't discuss about it.
Biology ISA is also next week :frown:
Physics Exam this friday, and physics ISA probably also next week...

I absolutely hate doing ISA's, don't mind the practicals and the calculations, but answering those damn general knowledge questions are always hard (on nearly all past papers).

Sorry, that was what I meant. I don't know why I put the intermediate step. And my way of doing it is probably the simplest way of doing the calculation. Although, a lot of people take other routes as they're safer routes if you don't understand the reasoning behind it for general questions.

I've got my Chemistry ISA the week after next, as next week we're doing a final practice ISA. I've got my Biology ISA next week as well, but it is split into a few lessons so I only finish it the week after next. I've had my Physics ISA delayed because someone from A2 is doing an exam on the day it was scheduled, so that is also the week after next.

I'm with you on that. The practicals are straight forward, and so are the basic calculations and questions on what you are expecting to come up. But they do always throw a few vague or stretching questions in.
Reply 12
you.

Number of moles

Original post by Tullia
Just

Updated the thread, so It's now a general AQA Chemistry ISA past paper thread, which TSR (the interet) was lacking.
So if you come across anybody who want's help with AQA Chemistry ISA papers, lead them here :smile:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Omg my name is in the OP :love:
Omg my name is in the OP :love:

Mine too. :h:
Reply 15
Has anyone sat the January/February as chemistry ISA yet for 2012?
Reply 16
Whats an OP lol?
Reply 17
Original post? Mine too :biggrin:

My ISA test is next week :/ What stuff are we supposed to revise / know about? my teacher has barely mentioned anything?

Calculations obviously, what about the written part...is it just knowing about safety/how to improve accuracy??

Reply 18
R88ney please do you have any past electricity physics and biology ISA papers, or the 2011 chem ones for titration? If you have anything for AS at all ill be grateful!!
Reply 19
I've nearly finished my Biology one now, just got a final paper on Monday. Chemistry we're supposed to be starting soon, bit nervous as we only get one chance :redface: My teacher gave us a moles revision sheet as part of it and we've done titrations to the death so I'm guessing it's that. Are we allowed to ask what it's on?

Quick Reply