The Student Room Group

Which Uni for me? Need help, please advise me. (New student)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Aberystwyth is hard to pronounce....

:biggrin:
Original post by villageboy
CC had a supreme collection.

Sometimes I think a good boarding education is better then a university education?

You learn about life. Camping and trekking, summer trips, cricket patches home and away, dorm life...

If everyone could afford it, I'm sure many would go for it, for the reasons you've listed, opportunities and independence to develop as a person.

To be honest, your private education is better than anything you will get at university, certainly undergrad. In fact, I'd say state sixth form is the best I will ever get. Universities are simply money making machines for research.
Reply 22
You could try keele. thats right in a village. or abersythwyth cant spell it lol
I reccommend my university - Aberystwyth. It has a good reputation for politics and it is a small town that is BOTH rural and coastal.
Reply 24
Whilst I am far from a brand freak, it should be a 'proper' university. Ie not post 1992 university.

Exeter does seem nice. But my grades are a bit shy?

Yes I think they are. You kind of fall short of many of the places in the Russell/1994 group as they tend to go for AAB as their minimum. However as people have pointed out some may be flexible and even within top universities anomalies exist in certain subjects/departments (ie, Bristol can offer as low as BBB for Arc and Anth, Durham offer ABB for one of their Psychology courses). So I suppose its a case of digging around for a Politics course that offers lower grades. Unfortunately of course politics is also really popular.

I don't think Exeter is one of those universities that adapts its grade offers much unless there are extenuating circumstances but according to this thread Lancaster seems quite hopeful and fits your criteria.

Good luck choosing!

:smile:
Aberystwyth is hard to pronounce....

All the students call it Aber though :wink:
I may be biased as I study here but I think it definitely fits your criteria, it's a beautiful place and very rural. Plus the politics department has an excellent reputation
Reply 26
So Lancaster, Aber----- :biggrin: , Exeter at a reach and maybe York?
So Lancaster, Aber----- :biggrin: , Exeter at a reach and maybe York?

York is more of a city university. It does have a central campus, but I have friends there who have accomodation "on campus" which is on a different bit of campus and is like half an hour bus away from their lectures.

In terms of Aber its department of international relations is very good so if you are interested in that area of politics then it would be a very good place. Someone mentioned Keele as well, that would fit your criteria and is a nice campus.
Reply 28
I see.

Is there just the 3 that meet my criteria?

Damn!
Reply 29
Whilst I am far from a brand freak, it should be a 'proper' university. Ie not post 1992 university.

Exeter does seem nice. But my grades are a bit shy?

Have a look at Nottingham. Big city but excellent campus on the outskirts. You can make of it what you want. Requirements may be a bit high for you but depends what you go for.
I see.

Is there just the 3 that meet my criteria?

Damn!

No... there are others such as Keele, as I said above. There are others such as UEA which are near countryside and a campus... In fact I found UEA quite simmilar to Lancaster except the fact that it is on the other side of the country.
Reply 31
Original post by olddad
Have a look at Nottingham. Big city but excellent campus on the outskirts. You can make of it what you want. Requirements may be a bit high for you but depends what you go for.

Are my grades that bad?

I was a social miracle, I played cricket and rugby, I dated any girl worth dating...

Reply 32
Are my grades that bad?

I was a social miracle, I played cricket and rugby, I dated any girl worth dating...

No they are not that bad and could be ok for Notts. They normally require slightly higher for SOME courses though.Have a look at it.
Aber is alos good and very rurual. I know somebody there and he loives it. He got in with ABB to do law.
Reply 33
Glad to know my grades arent lulz worthy.

What about Scottish universities?
Reply 34
Original post by sarah1345
If everyone could afford it, I'm sure many would go for it, for the reasons you've listed, opportunities and independence to develop as a person.

To be honest, your private education is better than anything you will get at university, certainly undergrad. In fact, I'd say state sixth form is the best I will ever get. Universities are simply money making machines for research.

Clifton College was amazing. I left that place with tears in my eyes.
Reply 35
How about Durham university?
How about Durham university?

You'd need AAA for that sunshine :tongue: And that's just for Politics, no doubt it will be A*AA for 2013 entry
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
Damn. Spending years as a himbo, just to date some pretty, yet ditzy girls, has come back to haunt me.

I regret nothing!
Reply 38
Any more help?
Any more help?

Other than: book some open days and go and find out how you feel about these places yourself, no. But good luck! I hope you've got a better impression of the universities available to you and there are certainly more, but hopefully you find the one for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending