The Student Room Group

maths simultaneous equ.

4. Marina had $24500 to invest. She divided the money into three different accounts. At the end of the year, she had made $1300 in interest. The amount of money yield on each of the three accounts was 4%, 5.5% and 6%. If the amount of money in the 4% account was four times the amount of money in the 5.5% account before interest was added, how much had she placed in each account? (Please start your solution with the account with the least amount)

ans:s-smilie:he placed $ , $ and $ in each of the three accounts.

hello anyone knws how to do this pls help me!!
Original post by KULER

Let $x be the amount of money in the 4% a/c.

Work out how much is in each of the other accounts in terms of x.

Then work out the interest in terms of x.

Equate it to $1300 and solve.

Post some working if you get stuck.

@everyone else. If you're thinking of posting a fully worked solution, please read the forum guidelines first.
Original post by ghostwalker
@everyone else. If you're thinking of posting a fully worked solution, please read the forum guidelines first.

I'm finding it hard to participate any more as, 2 minutes after I offer a hint which is perfectly sufficient to move the poster on, someone else comes along and posts a full (or almost) full solution.
Reply 3
Original post by Mr M
I'm finding it hard to participate any more as, 2 minutes after I offer a hint which is perfectly sufficient to move the poster on, someone else comes along and posts a full (or almost) full solution.

ditto

not always a correct one either

Quick Reply

Latest