The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

3rd year Biomed/Biochem exams 2012 at RHUL

How have you guys found the exams so far? and how hard have you found 3rd year in comparison to 2nd year?
Reply 1
No 3rd year RHUL biosci students on TSR? :frown:
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey sorry i dont go to rhul but i would really like to know how the exams are at RHUL for biochemistry in first and second years:

do all the exams for all modules occur at the end of the year or some in jan as well?
how long are they in hours?
any multiple choice questions or are they all essay questions?

how you would judge the difficulty of the exams?

this would really help me out in my application! thank you!!

p.s. good luck for your exams!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Sarahberry
Hey sorry i dont go to rhul but i would really like to know how the exams are at RHUL for biochemistry in first and second years:

do all the exams for all modules occur at the end of the year or some in jan as well?
how long are they in hours?
any multiple choice questions or are they all essay questions?

how you would judge the difficulty of the exams?

this would really help me out in my application! thank you!!

p.s. good luck for your exams!

First year : all exams in april/may
4 exams in total....partly MCQ, and the other half 2 essays.
Each exam 2 hrs
Courseworks that you do during the year count for around 15 - 20% of total marks
First year results don't count towards final overall grade.
First year exams are somewhat easy, but you have to make some effort to do the work.

Second year: all exams in april/may
8 modules (7 compulsory, 1 optional)
8 exams in total, each 2 or 3 hours.
Courseworks that you do during the year count for 20 - 25% of total marks
Second year results count for one-third of final grade.
8 exams back-to-back are pretty tough.....revision-wise, lecture notes, and recommended books are enough to get you good marks, i.e., not much outside reading required.

What I found toughest in 2nd year was the number of courseworks required to be completed, the deadlines were so close together, one after another.
The whole year you stress over courseworks, so that you actually don't have enough time to start revision until courseworks are over and done with, i.e. in april.

A lot of people end up resitting 2nd year.
Reply 4
oh that seems pretty tough.

say in 2nd year you dont understand something, would the lecturers help you out happily or would they make it look like u should go to a textbook and do it yourself with tutorial work? im scared i will flop second year too! i mean to prevent this i think i would make proper notes of the lecture slides (maybe using a textbook too) and keep asking questions to lecturers and practice essay writing for exams.

Do the lecturers mark coursework really harshly? i hope the high number of courseworks does not scare me and make me end up with like 40% for each of them!

im sorry for changing the purpose of your thread, but thank you for your help. if i need help/guidance could i inbox you in the future? thank youu
Reply 5
Original post by Sarahberry
oh that seems pretty tough.

say in 2nd year you dont understand something, would the lecturers help you out happily or would they make it look like u should go to a textbook and do it yourself with tutorial work? im scared i will flop second year too! i mean to prevent this i think i would make proper notes of the lecture slides (maybe using a textbook too) and keep asking questions to lecturers and practice essay writing for exams.

Do the lecturers mark coursework really harshly? i hope the high number of courseworks does not scare me and make me end up with like 40% for each of them!

im sorry for changing the purpose of your thread, but thank you for your help. if i need help/guidance could i inbox you in the future? thank youu

Yes, the lecturers are helpful, and the tutors too.
Past papers are very useful when it comes to revision.
And yes, ofcourse you can inbox me if you have anything else to ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending