The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4020
Original post by sj27
If anyone has access to these I would appreciate it...

A Practical Guide to the Comparative Case Study Method in Political Psychology
Juliet Kaarbo and Ryan K. Beasley
Political Psychology
Vol. 20, No. 2 (Jun., 1999), pp. 369-391

Cross-National Statistical Research and the Study of Comparative Politics
Robert W. Jackman
American Journal of Political Science
Vol. 29, No. 1 (Feb., 1985), pp. 161-182

Comparing and miscomparing
G Sartori
Journal of Theoretical Politics
July 1991 vol. 3 no. 3 243-257

I've found pdf's of them. Message and let me know where you'd like me to send them?
Reply 4021
Original post by ktr
I've found pdf's of them. Message and let me know where you'd like me to send them?

Thank you! Out of rep for now but will when I am able!
Reply 4022
Original post by sj27
Thank you! Out of rep for now but will when I am able!

No worries. Have just sent them over. :smile:
Reply 4023
Guys, how pushy do you think you can afford to be with a slow journal?:erm:
I sent them an article in January, got no reply for about three months and then politely enquired if they could give me a rough estimate of by when I'd get a decision. To my surprise I was actually given an exact date, with the added note that 'hopefully' they'd get back to me 'considerably sooner'.
Now the problem is that I still haven't heard anything and the date I was given is next Monday, and by now I don't seriously expect them to keep their promises anymore. I feel really stupid having to prod them again, and I'm also a bit annoyed, because I shouldn't have to chase after them like this, and it's unfair of them to leave me hanging for so long. At least if they said no I'd be able to rewrite it and send it off somewhere else, but as it is I can't do *anything*.:frown:
Maybe it says a lot that the academic who set this question also gave me an 8 point mark scheme for a 10 point question, but the candidates' answers are uniformly horrible. A lot of them have misunderstood the question in the same way, but I'm genuinely giving more 3s than I am 5s, and I can count on one hand the number of 7s and 8s I've given so far. (Been marking for almost an hour)
Reply 4025
Original post by hobnob
I sent them an article in January, got no reply for about three months and then politely enquired if they could give me a rough estimate of by when I'd get a decision. To my surprise I was actually given an exact date, with the added note that 'hopefully' they'd get back to me 'considerably sooner'.
Now the problem is that I still haven't heard anything and the date I was given is next Monday, and by now I don't seriously expect them to keep their promises anymore. I feel really stupid having to prod them again, and I'm also a bit annoyed, because I shouldn't have to chase after them like this, and it's unfair of them to leave me hanging for so long. At least if they said no I'd be able to rewrite it and send it off somewhere else, but as it is I can't do *anything*.:frown:

I personally wouldn't poke them again until Tuesday morning.

Hopefully they will reply before then or on Monday, but I wouldn't contact them until the day after the date myself.
Reply 4026
Original post by Hylean
I personally wouldn't poke them again until Tuesday morning.

Hopefully they will reply before then or on Monday, but I wouldn't contact them until the day after the date myself.

I wasn't really going to start prodding them any earlier than that, I'm just a little exasperated that it looks as though I'll have to chase after them again. And presumably I'll again be told that I'll hear 'before too long' and kept waiting for a few more months.:sigh: Allegedly it's because their reviewers are taking their time, but I'm not sure if I believe that...
Reply 4027
Original post by hobnob
I wasn't really going to start prodding them any earlier than that, I'm just a little exasperated that it looks as though I'll have to chase after them again. And presumably I'll again be told that I'll hear 'before too long' and kept waiting for a few more months.:sigh: Allegedly it's because their reviewers are taking their time, but I'm not sure if I believe that...

Nyah, I'm so used to Icelanders ignoring all kinds of deadlines that it doesn't really bother me so much anymore.

Just make a wee song and dance about them missing the deadline. :wink:

I know how you feel, though. It is annoying when they get like this, but hopefully you get published and it'll be worth it. Would this be your first article? What journal is it for? *is nosy*
Reply 4028
Original post by Hylean
I know how you feel, though. It is annoying when they get like this, but hopefully you get published and it'll be worth it. Would this be your first article?

Yes it would be, but I'm not really getting my hopes up. If they were madly keen they wouldn't have been so sluggish, right?:erm:
What journal is it for? *is nosy*

One that you won't have heard of.:p:
Sorry to hear about the bad news, TLG and hobnob :sad:

Hylean, can you PM me your email address? I'll send you the Psychological article on Bourdieu.

That conference was epic. I think it highly unlikely I'll go to another one as good for the rest of my PhD :daydreaming:

Now, back to my PhD chapter! Due tomorrow :work:
Original post by Craghyrax

Hylean, can you PM me your email address? I'll send you the Psychological article on Bourdieu.

That conference was epic. I think it highly unlikely I'll go to another one as good for the rest of my PhD :daydreaming:

Thanks :hugs: Really glad you had an epic conference experience :yep:

Good luck with the work! :eek: You can do it! :rave:
Reply 4031
Original post by Craghyrax

On it's way to you now.

Glad you enjoyed the conference, ****e about the work today, though.

I've been hearing horror stories about funding over here in Iceland as it's that time of year. Not looking forward to my application next year.
Reply 4032
Original post by hobnob

Don't forget it's not a working week until Weds so is the date tomorrow or a week on Monday?
I've spent the last day and a half reading and re-reading the same four pages of this chapter and I honestly can't see any way to fix them in the way my supervisors want :banghead:
Ready to throw my laptop out the window.
Reply 4034
Original post by apotoftea
Don't forget it's not a working week until Weds so is the date tomorrow or a week on Monday?

Only in the UK, though, and the editors for that journal are all based in various parts of the US.
Original post by hobnob
Only in the UK, though, and the editors for that journal are all based in various parts of the US.

Personally I would wait until Wednesday and then tell them that if you don't have an answer by the end of the week you'll be submitting to another journal.
Reply 4036
Original post by IlexAquifolium
Personally I would wait until Wednesday and then tell them that if you don't have an answer by the end of the week you'll be submitting to another journal.

Well, to be honest, I'm busy with my conclusion at the moment, so it's not as though I have the time to spare to rewrite the article and resubmit it before I've sorted that out... Plus I'd like to at least have the reports, and if I storm out in a huff I'll probably never get to see those.
I'm basically just annoyed because they've kept me waiting for such a long time now, and I think they owe me a reply of some kind, even if it's 'erm... no'.
One of my tutors submitted something to a journal and didn't hear back for either 2 or 5 years (can't recall). This is the most prestigious journal in her field, too. :s-smilie:
I would send them an email on Tuesday saying that because you have not heard back from them by the agreed deadline that you assume your submission was not suitable for them and will therefore submit it to another journal later that week.

It is polite, succinct and puts the ball in their court. You have waited five months and you are worried about coming across pushy! :tongue:
*is mean and sarcastic and now feels a bit guilty*