The Student Room Group

Should I claim on this accident?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RobertWhite
I'm not sure the relevance of you being a learner and sustaining an injury is...? You sustained a minor back injury, something which is most likely to disappear within a few days. If you go and see a doctor and they pronounce you have slipped disk then I'd not blame you for claiming. To claim for something... like a little back injury is just pathetic IMO though.

So if someone crashed into you, completely not your fault, and you had neck pain for a few weeks, and you could be given £2000 with no effect on your no claims bonus etc, you would turn it down?
No but all my uncle did was play it by the book and say he has whiplash, cause whiplash doesnt appear on xrays, for example if you say you have a headache, i cant prove that you dont, understand?

He got paid about 2 grand, just under 2k i think, yeah thats how much they pay you, but they dont say how much they gonna pay you, its all worked out by the solicitors that you use, some say no win no fee but they take out a percentage etc .. It'l take months before you get the money though. But if i was you, and if it was guranteed the other party's fault, then pursue the claim. I would love to be in your position cause i could use the 2 grand towards my insurance when i pass lol. Good timing for you :smile: Aslong as you arent too hurt are you?
Original post by PataynaRolaay
No but all my uncle did was play it by the book and say he has whiplash, cause whiplash doesnt appear on xrays, for example if you say you have a headache, i cant prove that you dont, understand?

He got paid about 2 grand, just under 2k i think, yeah thats how much they pay you, but they dont say how much they gonna pay you, its all worked out by the solicitors that you use, some say no win no fee but they take out a percentage etc .. It'l take months before you get the money though. But if i was you, and if it was guranteed the other party's fault, then pursue the claim. I would love to be in your position cause i could use the 2 grand towards my insurance when i pass lol. Good timing for you :smile: Aslong as you arent too hurt are you?

Insurance premiums are sky high because of people like you and your foreign uncle, who claim for the sole purpose of financial gratification.. :angry:
Reply 23
Original post by clarusblue
So if someone crashed into you, completely not your fault, and you had neck pain for a few weeks, and you could be given £2000 with no effect on your no claims bonus etc, you would turn it down?

Nope - but the money shouldn't be there in the first place and I'll frown down upon people for doing it. Mostly because minor injuries shouldn't be compensated for and the system is badly managed. If you provide all the symptoms required of whiplash, for example, it can't be disproved and because of this people can abuse the system.
Reply 24
Guys seriously? 5 downvotes for someone asking a question? What am I missing.

At OP, sure, people sue/claim/do anything to get money these days, and if anything, the driver you described sounds like a real douche and deserves it and maybe, just maybe learns a lesson if he has to pay up.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 25
I suggest you get your story straight before you fill out that insurance claim then.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by James82
You've had an accident and hurt your back, so you thought the first thing you should do was go on the internet and see if there is any chance you could make some money out of this rather than seeing whether your back is alright. Nice priorities.

My thoughts exactly, quite clear what's going on here...
Reply 27
Original post by James82
I suggest you get your story straight before you fill out that insurance claim then.

:rofl:

She's just looking for reasons to pinch some easy cash, this "pain", doesn't really sound genuine at all.
only reason your instructor wants you to claim is so his claim has more merit - just imagine the field day they'd have if the young female driver didn't put a claim in yet the male instructor did. . .
Reply 29
Original post by f1mad
:rofl:

She's just looking for reasons to pinch some easy cash, this "pain", doesn't really sound genuine at all.

I'm not disputing whether the pain is genuine or not, only the OP can comment on that, my point is that the OP would rather know how much money she could get than know about any problems she may have with her back. That tells me that any back pain she is suffering is not currently bad enough to be of any major concern to her and that she is looking to make some quick cash.

The insurance companies are equally to blame for the emergence of a compensation culture, they decided that it was cheaper to pay out a few thousand for minor claims than go through the court process, but now it means that people just expect to be able to get something when they are in an accident.

The insurance companies don't care how much they pay out in compensation so long as the public keep paying the increased premiums, they still make their profit.
Reply 30
Original post by Rybee
I'd be so lucky to have someone up my arse.

Reply 31
So, were you going 10mph or were you stopped? Either way you were lying in one of your posts.

If she's fully comp she doesn't have to pay anything unless she's making her own claim and has an excess, your instructor's insurance company will pay for your and your instructor's claim, it will then be up to the two insurance companies to apportion blame and they will record it onto their balance sheets, then at fixed points in time they will reconcile their balance sheets by making any necessary payments to each other.

If she only has third party insurance she could make a claim against your instructor's insurance company and then she will be paid out accordingly once the two insurance companies have apportioned blame, she still won't have to pay for your claims, that's the whole point of insurance.
Reply 32
So, you've told him your back is aching and he's told you to claim for neck whiplash, sounds like a top guy!
Reply 33
Which is not what you said before.

I don't expect you to know what insurance she has, but regardless whether it's third party or fully comp, she won't be paying for your claim as you seem to think, I was just correcting your vitriolic outburst.

You've established that she's to blame, how the insurance companies see it is a different matter, if the other party disputes your version of events then the insurance companies will often just apportion blame 50-50, but hey, it's this investigative corner cutting that means you'll get your compensation, so I'm guessing that's not a problem to you.
Reply 34
Why is he telling you what the usual types of claim people put in for are? Surely he should just be telling you to claim for what ever you are suffering from, an aching back. I notice that after you told him your back was aching that he never consoled you or asked how you were, he just told you about an irrelevant claim that will get you some money. Sounds like a really nice guy.
It sounds pretty obvious that your driving instructor wants to claim because YOUR claim and HIS claim will sound a lot better than just him claiming. Plus I'm not sure how it works, would you get money on an instructir's car's insurance? Do YOU actually get the money? Investigate this first.

Plus, why do you actually need the money? If your back injury really is that severe that you need to pay for operations or anything else, then yes, do claim (if of course you get the money through your instructor). Otherwise, why? To teach her a lesson? Ok, but why should you get the money? Donate it to charity then.

Also, I would get your story straight. As I'm not sure what happened. Had you stopped, or were you still driving when she crashed? Maybe you had stopped too suddenly? I know i did that a lot when i was starting out. What has the instructor said? Has he said you had already stopped, or still driving very slowly? Of course, as she's had an accident before it probably would work in your favour. But still....
Original post by PataynaRolaay
Sorry to hear that :frown: But great stuff! Keep on reminding yourself what happened in your mind, get emotional from it, so it looks like your affected mentally :smile: I think you're looking at getting about 2k from this compensation, my uncle did the same when he had a little crash when someone hit his car from behind, he put in a claim for whiplash, got about 2 grand, if only i was in the car ..

would kind of expect that from a pakistani like urself (btw this aint racist- im a decent pakistani)
.... dont u have any shame. and for crying out loud, the experience must have been traumatising but u knw people die due to medical errors, dont see them putting claims in. if ur so desperate for the money, get up and work.
Get your back checked out first and foremost, if it's nothing serious and you won't be taking time off work I wouldn't bother claiming, but if it is something worth putting a claim in for go right ahead. It's the people who claim compensation for the most minor things that annoy everyone, but if you have a legit reason I see no reason why you shouldn't get something.
Original post by Mother_Russia

Also, I would get your story straight. As I'm not sure what happened. Had you stopped, or were you still driving when she crashed? Maybe you had stopped too suddenly? I know i did that a lot when i was starting out. What has the instructor said? Has he said you had already stopped, or still driving very slowly? Of course, as she's had an accident before it probably would work in your favour. But still....

No matter what you're doing, if someone drives into the back of your car it is always their fault for not maintaining an appropriate stopping distance, so the OP doesn't need to worry on that front.
Reply 39
Because you posted what he wrote, therefore I am entitled to make a judgement.

You said that the back pain didn't come on immediately, but when you informed him of it via text his first reaction was to tell you to put in a claim for neck whiplash as that is the most usual claim, not to check whether you were alright or even to say just claim for the actual problems you have, but to lie, just don't lie too much or you'll get caught out.

From that information my judgement is that he is in it to make as much money as he can and really couldn't give a toss about you or your back.

Quick Reply

Latest