The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
rpotter
Nope there was a study (cant find it atm, will post it when/if I can) that showed that you were more likely to catch an illness that proved fatal whilst there than you were to be cured. Basically becuse many of the people who visit there are very weak, even a small illness can prove to be fatal, and lourdes isnt exactly a sterilised environment with so many people about. Of course I'm not talking about catching things like cancer or downs syndrome, sorry I should have explained myself better.

The helpers arent likely to catch anything then.
Also - the point of Lourdes is not to be cured, in the eyes of most people I know it is to gain a sense of closure on the fact that they are terminally ill. Although I will admit, alot go there with a hope of being cured.
Reply 101
deej2

Oh no, you wouldn't be likely to catch anything as a helper
Reply 102
rpotter
Nope there was a study (cant find it atm, will post it when/if I can) that showed that you were more likely to catch an illness that proved fatal whilst there than you were to be cured.

I think you're probably getting mixed up with Richard Dawkins (that infamous mocker of a belief in God) assertion that since so many people enter the 'baths' at Lourdes, there is a high risk of contracting some disease from the sharing of the water!

He never considered that the fact that people have shared the water for over 150 years without contracting any illness, and thus is proof that the waters are indeed miraculous. :rolleyes:
Reply 103
Did you catch his recent programme on Channel 4, rpotter?
Reply 104
I saw it, I wanted to kill him.
Hey i'm not religious (so forgive me for infiltating your thread) but out of curiosity, what led you all to be RC? Were many of you brought up that way? Or was it something in your life that drew you to it? I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the religion is fairly strict (?) so were such changes easy to accomodate into your lives?
Can I join, I'm Irish Catholic :smile:
xXMessedUpXx
Hey i'm not religious (so forgive me for infiltating your thread) but out of curiosity, what led you all to be RC? Were many of you brought up that way? Or was it something in your life that drew you to it? I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the religion is fairly strict (?) so were such changes easy to accomodate into your lives?

brought up RC religion in my country is seen as a big thing
Reply 108
xXMessedUpXx

I was brought up RC. I dont think it is hard to stick to....though i wouldnt really know about making changes etc..as i was brought up RC...but if you have respect for yourself and others then theres nothing really challenging i dont think....however like all things it can be difficult sometimes.....thats when you pray to god for his help...and he'll help you through it....:biggrin: ....thats what i think anyways
Reply 109
xXMessedUpXx

I was brought up by an atheist family, I chose to become Catholic in year 4.
The changes though havent come into effect until much more recently, for example, I took a vow of abstinence a year or so ago. I have stopped drinking.
The change in lifestyle was difficult, but it is worth it, for example I am now full of energy and constantly happy :smile:

The hardest thing has got to be having friends who dont live like I do, as going out and 'enjoying life' as they see it can be difficult at times.
deej2
Also - the point of Lourdes is not to be cured, in the eyes of most people I know it is to gain a sense of closure on the fact that they are terminally ill. Although I will admit, alot go there with a hope of being cured.

:ditto: and I went as a helper last summer and it gained an insight for me that people can be that dedicated and that driven to travel to Lourdes - they may not be healed but they will accept closer and some people actually die during their pilgrimage to Lourdes and can be buried there if they wish, or be sent home but they usually stay in the hospitals. My old music teacher (god bless her soul) went to Lourdes when she had cancer and found it absolutely captivating and found closer and i am amazed and I look up to people who are strong enough to do that. Some do yes go to be cured through the baths and go to the grotto and wish to be healed physically but when God says your time is over in this lifetime - you know that its your time to serve in Heaven along with him.
P.S. the grotto at night is spectacular!
Reply 112
yawn
Did you catch his recent programme on Channel 4, rpotter?

Only half of the second one unfortunately, and I thought it was alrite considering the audience he had to aim at
Reply 113
deej2
I saw it, I wanted to kill him.

lol, why?
Reply 114
rpotter
Only half of the second one unfortunately, and I thought it was alrite considering the audience he had to aim at

Was it in part two that he made his vacuous comments about the risks of people catching the 'dreaded lurgie' from the waters of Lourdes? :rofl:

I am not surprised, rpotter that you would think his ideas are 'alright' considering you have professed to being an atheist on the Religion D&D forum! :wink:

I am still confused as to why you want to partake in a sub-forum that is obviously for praticising members of the Catholic Church. :confused:

Are you really atheist, or are you agnostic and seeking something that will give you back your faith?
Reply 115
yawn
Are you really atheist, or are you agnostic and seeking something that will give you back your faith?

Are you hoping to get an online convert? :p:
Reply 116
yawn
Was it in part two that he made his vacuous comments about the risks of people catching the 'dreaded lurgie' from the waters of Lourdes? :rofl:

I am not surprised, rpotter that you would think his ideas are 'alright' considering you have professed to being an atheist on the Religion D&D forum! :wink:

I am still confused as to why you want to partake in a sub-forum that is obviously for praticising members of the Catholic Church. :confused:

Hmmm dont remember anything about lourdes on the part that I watched.

I am really atheist yes, just wanting to see things from another angle to better understand the ways that other people think :smile:
Reply 117
deej2
Are you hoping to get an online convert? :p:

The Lord works in mysterious ways, deej2. :smile:

..and if I can help Him along the way, I am only too happy to do so!
Was raised a Catholic, practice and alter serve, but don't really believe in God (although i'm open to persuasion). Also, i'm not really fond of many of the church's teachings/practicings.

So i suppose i'm technically Catholic, realistically Agnostic.

Saying that though, I always leap to the church's defence in arguments. Strange huh?
hello sorry i havent been online in a while.
i have never made a society before, so i have submitted an application for us to be registered and its waiting for approval.

i have added tessa to the member list - welcome
rpotter - you seem to keep coming back to us, perhaps you are questioning your atheism? if you want to become Catholic again or you have a genuine interest in the religion you are welcome to join and i'll add you to the member list

xXMessedUpXx

it is quite strict, but i find many people who claim to be Catholic just ignore the parts they dont like, mainly relating to sex and contraception. i think the moral basis for the strictness is good, but it is very hard to justify it to friends and family, especially those who claim to be catholic but do not follow all of the beliefs

im a convert from Anglicanism and i think converts tend to follow it more strictly than 'born' Catholics as we have a reason, an active chooice rather than an acceptance of the faith

deej2

The hardest thing has got to be having friends who dont live like I do, as going out and 'enjoying life' as they see it can be difficult at times.

deej must have been hard for you to convert with all your family atheist, what did they say?what made you convert at such a young age, especially to RC not just Christianity in general?

also whats with the not-drinking? im a non drinker myself, but i thought Catholics CAN drink - Jesus drank wine, i think the Bible only says about drunkeness, not teetotalling? please can anyone clarify?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending