The Student Room Group

How much you'd spend on a haircut?

Scroll to see replies

abrp
which one?

does anyone know any good mens hairdressers in London? ie those who will actually immitate the haircut youve shown them on the picture? preferably either SE or central.

Its called Jacks of London, there is 1 in London but the guy working in the one in my town came second in the male hairdresser of the year award thing
Nisherz187
Yeah, I went to them a few times for student cuts when I was at college. I don't know if they still do it... but it used to be on Thursdays 4.30-6.30 appointment... and it was a free cut/blowdry/finish.

I stopped going after a while coz it weren't tooo great.

Have you tried George's by any chance? Virtually 99% of girls I know have their hair cut there... its £20 with student discount, £25 without with a normal stylist... and they do an offer where students get cut and colout for £45. Everyone I know loves them... might be worth a try if you haven't already.

I actually just booked an appointment with their 'top stylist' about half an hour ago, maybe that will make a difference?

Never heard of George's - I'm a first year student in Leicester so I'm not too familiar with the city, whereabouts is it and are they any good?
Reply 42
Juicy Fruit
I actually just booked an appointment with their 'top stylist' about half an hour ago, maybe that will make a difference?

Never heard of George's - I'm a first year student in Leicester so I'm not too familiar with the city, whereabouts is it and are they any good?

Oh ok... you'll find that most people, particularly locals, of our age, go to George's...

They have a few branches in Leicester... the most accessible is the one on Granby Street in the city centre.

See how you go with Indy's tough, its a pretty decent salon and does get good reviews.
Who has been to Michaeljohn? I am growing my hair now but when I last went they cut it so well, and I havent needed another cut because the style stayed. So I would recommend there.
Here's the site: http://www.michaeljohn.co.uk/michaeljohn.html
I think it's around £120 for a restyle
King Leigh
Male, I used to pay £7 at the barbers but hated getting my haircut because they never did what I wanted.
Now I go somwhere else and pay £25 but the quality is well worth paying 3 times as much, I'd never go back to a £7 haircut now.

You could pay £100 and it wouldn't automatically get you a perfect haircut. I pay £4.00 like I said and my hair is cut exactly how I want, I've been going there for about 13 years and if I went to a hairdresser and paid £30 it could just be the same/better/worse. More money doesn't always equal better quality.
Reply 45
-1066-
You could pay £100 and it wouldn't automatically get you a perfect haircut. I pay £4.00 like I said and my hair is cut exactly how I want, I've been going there for about 13 years and if I went to a hairdresser and paid £30 it could just be the same/better/worse. More money doesn't always equal better quality.

Oh, of course, I know. I more meant "I'll never get my hair cut for £7 at the place I used to go again, if I can help it, I'll always go to this one place I go now and pay £25".
The quality of the actual haircut and the service (I have a completely different mentality to haircuts now than before I went to this new) there is one I like, trust, and intend to stick with as long as I can.
Reply 46
Hi,

I'm a guy and totally straight. My last haircut was £32. I've got an appointment one Saturday morning for 8:45am (the only available appointment!) at Toni & Guy with a senior stylist. It's going to set me (or rather my mum) back around £45. I nevertheless think its completely reasonable, considering I last had my hair cut in mid-August. Then again, my girlfriend and both her and my friends think it's absolute madness!

Finally, I'd say that it's got nothing to do with the price - it's what it means to you to have your hair nice that counts, as well as how much you're willing to pay. I'm sure there are cheap hairdressers who'd do a better job than I'm getting, and equally that there're far more expensive ones doing a shoddier job!

- Just my few thoughts on the topic :smile:,

- me.
Reply 47
toni and guy = ****.

they made my hair looks like Chantelle's last time i got it cut there :frown: didn't listen to what i want, bleached and straightened the life out of it and i hate their stinking guts.

thankfully, i have since found an amazing hairdresser who gives me amazing hair :smile:. just because tony and guy are well-known does not make them quality. i've said it before and i'll say it again; THEY ONLY LEARN A FEW CUTS A SEASON!!!!! everyone who walks out of their doors will have a variation of the EXACT same few haircuts, regardless of what you want.
Reply 48
domlague
I'm a guy and totally straight.

domlague
My last haircut was £32.

:rolleyes:

sorry I have nothing constructive to add :p: Fair point though - people shouldn't judge what is an 'acceptable' price for a haircut.
£29 every 8 weeks approx. My boyfriend refuses to spend more than £5 on his haircut!
Reply 50
If they're good then go with it. I dig nice hair. I spend £25, though I'm guessing for a guy its different. A lot of girls get their friends to do it and I haven't really noticed, though announcing that to me is just asking to get bullied.
Reply 51
Anyone else been to Jacks of London? I was thinking about it but I don't know anyone else who's gone, and 20 quid is a bit much of a gamble for my liking...
Reply 52
Lol, this is why I don't get my hair cut at uni.....sooooo expensive! At home I pay £45 for a cut, blow dry, 2 highlight colours and straightened with products. A cut and blow dry is about £15. Then again, we don't have Toni & Guy or anything like that. I paid £60 for highlghts once, and £25 for a cut, and neither gave better results than the hair dresser I go to now.
Reply 53
King Leigh
Male, I used to pay £7 at the barbers but hated getting my haircut because they never did what I wanted.
Now I go somwhere else and pay £25 but the quality is well worth paying 3 times as much, I'd never go back to a £7 haircut now.

I normally pay about £6 for a haircut, but it's as basic as they come and I'm fed up with it, having had it for a few years now. I think I'll plump for a half-decent place and pay a few quid, but that's what I'm worried about, getting locked into a cycle of £20+ haircuts.
Reply 54
£20...but I think that's 'cause I know the hairdresser. Pretty sure she usually charges £30-£40
Reply 55
Axiom
I normally pay about £6 for a haircut, but it's as basic as they come and I'm fed up with it, having had it for a few years now. I think I'll plump for a half-decent place and pay a few quid, but that's what I'm worried about, getting locked into a cycle of £20+ haircuts.

Definitely could happen.
I find though, as my hair is cut well, it tends to stay looking half decent while it grows so I pay about 3x as much for the haircut, but it only needs cutting half as often, so it's not the huge jump in price it could be. And, if you go to the right places, you get what you pay for anyway.
I paid £5 at Toni & Guy this morning for one of their model cuts with a trainee. It's the second time I've done it, and if I hadn't been pleased with the first time, I wouldn't have gone back. Before this, I was paying £30something (including student discount) at a salon in Bath, or even more at home where they don't do student discount. I really don't see the point in spending loads, because invariably within a couple of weeks it won't look how it did when you'd just had it cut! And as long as they don't completely hack it apart, nothing is too long lasting or disasterous.
Reply 57
I have a shaved head. usually i find someone with clippers, but couldnt be ****ed last time so went to a proper barbers. one of the funniest experiences of my life. cost 8quid. when i had hair my ex gf cut it. she worked at vidal sassoon.
Just cut your hair yourself, nobody will know the difference.
Reply 59
I tend to pay about £4-£6 for a full cut and style.

Obviously, if something like colouring is involved, then a higher price is expected, but I hate to think of spending £20+ for a simple haircut!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending