The Student Room Group
In the worst case, it could be a small crack that has leaked LCD fluid, in which case, you're screwed and will need to pay to have the screen replaced.

EDIT: if it's similar to this: http://www.macobserver.com/article/2005/09/flawedmp.jpg
Reply 2
:s-smilie: How do I know if it's that?
Reply 3
Sounds like you're laptop screen has got dead pixels in it.

Not much you can do, its not an uncommon problem, my sister's PC has a dead pixel, except it's always on (white) rather than off (black like yours).

If it really bothers you, then I think the only thing you can do is replace the laptop/ the screen.

Unless I'm wrong and it's not dead pixels... though I can't think of what else it'd be =/
Reply 4
A photo wouldn't hurt. There's a big difference between a cracked screen and dead pixels. One spreads, one doesn't.
Actually, at 0.5mm thick, it is more probably dead pixels, but yeah, please post a picture (preferably from a proper camera with macro mode enabled).
Reply 6
MGT_90
A photo wouldn't hurt. There's a big difference between a cracked screen and dead pixels. One spreads, one doesn't.

I only have a phone camera...
That looks like a group of dead pixels to me- it looks almost too big to just be one or two, which is what I've got with my laptop.
Reply 8
I'm guessing your screen has a bug, a dead one. They can get behind screens (not sure how) and then they die. My friend has a few in his LCD.
Reply 9
SylverStrike
That looks like a group of dead pixels to me- it looks almost too big to just be one or two, which is what I've got with my laptop.

It's far too irregular to be a group of dead pixels. Plus, dead pixels are either on or off. They don't deal in shades of grey.
Reply 10
kevin89
Not much you can do, its not an uncommon problem, my sister's PC has a dead pixel, except it's always on (white) rather than off (black like yours).

BTW, the always on pixel is a stuck pixel rather than a dead pixel, and they can be fixed much easier. Try something like http://www.jscreenfix.com/basic.php to fix it (you may need to apply pressure to the pixel at the same time as using that applet.

OP, I reckon it must either be what Kyle_S-C suggested, or you've somehow burnt your screen there because that definately isn't dead pixels.
Reply 11
I have like a weird lil black smudge too since the day I purchased it, been too lazy to get it fixed though...will have to soon it annoys the hell out of me.
Nope that is a thunderbug mate, my dad has a couple on his computer. They get under the screen. They are very annoying.
Reply 13
Rob801
BTW, the always on pixel is a stuck pixel rather than a dead pixel, and they can be fixed much easier. Try something like http://www.jscreenfix.com/basic.php to fix it (you may need to apply pressure to the pixel at the same time as using that applet.

OP, I reckon it must either be what Kyle_S-C suggested, or you've somehow burnt your screen there because that definately isn't dead pixels.

Tried that it didn't work but thanks anyway.

TKnightrider
Nope that is a thunderbug mate, my dad has a couple on his computer. They get under the screen. They are very annoying.

How do I get rid of it?
Sabertooth
Tried that it didn't work but thanks anyway.

How do I get rid of it?

You can't m8, its dead, so you probs have to fit a new screen or careful prise it open and fish it out.
Reply 15
Sabertooth
How do I get rid of it?

Disassemble the LCD, separate the layers, and remove it.

That's easier said than done of course. Once you separate the layers you're in for a whole realm of trouble. Without a hospital-grade-clean environment, you'll just get dust specs on your display. Unless you remove it delicately, you'll damage the screen itself, and even if you manage to remove it, you'll be in very serious danger of crushing the CCFL that is as durable as a wet kleenex.

I'll be trying something similar myself in the next fortnight or so, so if you haven't had it removed by then, I'll report back with an uplifting or worrying story about what happened when I took my laptop to pieces and spent a good few hours with a vacuum cleaner, some compressed air, an air duster, a microfibre cloth, a shower curtain, and a shower cap. Fun? You bet.