The Student Room Group

TOK Essay Titles November 2009-May 2010

1. To what extent is truth different in mathematics, the arts and ethics?
2. Examine the ways empirical evidence should be used to make progress in different areas of
knowledge.
3. Discuss the strengths and limitations of quantitative and qualitative data in supporting knowledge
claims in the human sciences and at least one other area of knowledge.
4. How can the different ways of knowing help us to distinguish between something that is true and
something that is believed to be true?
5. “What separates science from all other human activities is its belief in the provisional nature of all
conclusions” (Michael Shermer, www.edge.com). Critically evaluate this way of distinguishing the
sciences from other areas of knowledge.
6. All knowledge claims should be open to rational criticism. On what grounds and to what extent would
you agree with this assertion?
7. “We see and understand things not as they are but as we are.” Discuss this claim in relation to at least
two ways of knowing.
8. “People need to believe that order can be glimpsed in the chaos of events" (adapted from John Gray,
Heresies, 2004). In what ways and to what extent would you say this claim is relevant in at least two
areas of knowledge?
9. Discuss the claim that some areas of knowledge are discovered and others are invented.
10. What similarities and differences are there between historical and scientific explanations?

Source:
TOK Essay Prescribed Titles - Nov 2009 May 2010.pdf

You may 2010 kids are lucky. We '08-'09ers have pretty crappy titles in comparison.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mr. Shiver
5. “What separates science from all other human activities is its belief in the provisional nature of all
conclusions” (Michael Shermer, www.edge.com). Critically evaluate this way of distinguishing the
sciences from other areas of knowledge.

that should be www.edge.org :smile: i have chosen this topic and apart from my EE, this is the sole essay i enjoy writing. i hate those world.lits!!

Mr. Shiver
You may 2010 kids are lucky. We '08-'09ers have pretty crappy titles in comparison.

i think so. they say in our school nearly all of the 09ers chose the same subject.
Reply 2
Have they been published officially already?
Reply 3
quite a while yeah.
omgg, next years titles are so much better then what i had to do ... sooo not fair. but well, it always comes down to "how do we know" so whatever. at least, i am done :biggrin:
Reply 5
i'm doing number 10.. anyone else..? and our tok teacher happens to leave this year so that sucks..
Posh608
i'm doing number 10.. anyone else..? and our tok teacher happens to leave this year so that sucks..

Yeah me too! We had to submit it by the last week of school, and we had to treat it as if it was the final essay...but I heard that the grades were really bad and they curved them...:eek:
Reply 7
I'm also doing number 10 !!... but I don't understand exactly what is meant by "explanations" ... and is it possible to use personal examples with this topic (science? history?) because I've been told that these ones are more valuable than globally established examples ... I have to submit it by MONDAY ... anyone can help me ??
Reply 8
explanations to events, theories in terms of history/science
of course, you must use personal+national examples related to ur question.
Reply 9
thanks !!:smile:
Reply 10
I did number 8, and Used history and Art. I wrote it so that my examples transitioned from Pure History to Pure Art. I loved every minute of it :smile:
Reply 11
I will probably do 6 or 7. Any tips please?
Reply 12
I will probably do 6 or 7. Any tips please?
Reply 13
Hey! can somebody help me with the question 10 ok tok? do i have use my personal expirience or i can put historical event and compare them?
Reply 14
actually you need to do both, to satisfy what the criteria says also you need to find a contemporary topic and a topic of your country to score higher.
Reply 15
jc_bach
actually you need to do both, to satisfy what the criteria says also you need to find a contemporary topic and a topic of your country to score higher.

Could I PM you a question?
Reply 16
erm you can post it here if you just wanna ask abt TOK
I'm doing Question 1.
Found lots of information on it so should be good.:woo:
i am doing question 1, please help...!
Reply 19
pinkiescout
i am doing question 1, please help...!

well the important word here is truth, so compare how you justify and believe to get the truth in maths, arts and ethics, providing with contemporary examples.

Latest