The Student Room Group

Has cannabis ever killed anyone?

I spoke to a friend the other day who claimed to have had a friend who'd died from smoking cannabis (He had a fit).M ost pro-cannabis people(esp on this forum) would claim otherwise insisting that it has never killed ANYONE. So either my friend is a liar or it is not possible to determine death by cannabis inhalation.

It would seem innocent to say that cannabis is just a plant and natural thus it doesn't kill. Maybe when it is mixed with tobacco the effects are deadlier?

Thoughts? Experiences?

Scroll to see replies

Yep, from cannabis toxicity, but they were stoners so nobody cared :wink:
Reply 2
You can overdose on anything if you have enough of it - cannabis, tobacco, alcohol, even water. The important thing is to look at how likely it is to overdose on something, and as far as cannabis goes, it's very, very unlikely anyone would overdose on it. There may have been one or two cases of people overdosing, but you're looking at one in every umpteen million instances.
Reply 3
I'm sure everything has killed someone at least once.
Reply 4
RezM
I spoke to a friend the other day who claimed to have had a friend who'd died from smoking cannabis (He had a fit).M ost pro-cannabis people(esp on this forum) would claim otherwise insisting that it has never killed ANYONE. So either my friend is a liar or it is not possible to determine death by cannabis inhalation.

It would seem innocent to say that cannabis is just a plant and natural thus it doesn't kill. Maybe when it is mixed with tobacco the effects are deadlier?

Thoughts? Experiences?

Is your friend sure it's the cannabis that caused the fit? It most likely wasn't, or was a reaction to it being mixed with some other medication or w/e that he had taken recently. or if it was the weed that caused the fit, it could have been an allergic reaction, one of my mates is allergic to weed but he still smokes loadss every weekend. he gets a ridiculously runny nose whenever he blazes. :hahaha:

when mixed with tobacco it's only as dangerous as tobacco + smoke, as weed itself doesn't really do much if any physical harm other than what the smoking by itself does, which smoking anything eg even lettuce would have.

overdose is unlikely as well because before you can smoke enough to overdose you're likely to pass out or just be too ****** to be bothered to smoke more. there's the issue of eating too many space cakes or w/e but i reckon you could eat as many as you like without it being 'deadly' as such. besides i think passing out and paranoia are as bad as it gets tbh, never really personally known anything worse to have happened :dontknow:

basically, smoke away :bong: :smokin:
Reply 5
In terms of levels of harm, smoking > drinking > smoking canabis. Course you have to take canabis in moderation, just like everything else, or you could get long term mental health issues, similarly to lung cancer from smoking and liver failure from drinking.
Reply 6
Of course it has. People who claim it hasn't killed anyone are just naive or idiotic (or both).

That said, many, many things that are normally relatively harmless have killed people eg. water, oxygen, broccoli etc
speaking kills
coughing kills
/thread
Teveth
You can overdose on anything if you have enough of it - cannabis, tobacco, alcohol, even water. The important thing is to look at how likely it is to overdose on something, and as far as cannabis goes, it's very, very unlikely anyone would overdose on it. There may have been one or two cases of people overdosing, but you're looking at one in every umpteen million instances.

you can't overdose on cannabis, it's physically impossible, the only way you're gonna die from it is from it's effects like falling off a building or something.
Reply 9
wintersunset
you can't overdose on cannabis, it's physically impossible, the only way you're gonna die from it is from it's effects like falling off a building or something.

I'm sure you can. You can OD on water, for example.

Also, Cannabis causes a deterioration of the immune system so it could kill eventually. (Mind you, this process is generally regarded to be so slow that it would take 40+ a day for 20 years to be noticeable) It can also increases anxiety and depression, and finally in certain groups of people with a genetic disposition towards it it can cause schizophrenia/psychosis.
ChrisG88
I'm sure everything has killed someone at least once.

Nobody has ever drowned in their own sweat. That is what my coach says we should aim to achieve lol :rofl:
Reply 11
I need to stop reading this as 'Have cannibals ever killed anyone?'
Yeah it must have, when customers fail to pay what they owe and are consequently shot by the dealers in a drive-by :p:
Yes, but very few, and about a zillion times less people than alcohol or smoking ever did :dry:
Reply 15
Don't forget the people who get knifed etc by the stoner who has become paranoid that everyone's out to get them. Also, the people who (claim to) have developed mental illnesses as a result of excessive drug use.

But obviously, drinking is much the same in respect to the former point.
On an overdose of cannabis?

No. To overdose on cannabis you have to smoke several kilograms in a space of about 15 minutes. It's not physically possible.

But I suspect it wouldn't be good for you to be doing any drugs if you had some sort of underlying medical condition (in which case surely it would be that exacerbated by the cannabis that would kill you, not just the cannabis itself).
a lot of people vomit on overdosing it but not sure whether it's ever killed anyone, can cause you to mentally feel you're in pain though
Reply 19
It is categorically impossible to overdose on weed, you would have to smoke several times your own bodyweight to overdose, which is completely impossible.