The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Tell me about it! :zomg:
When I read on The Times that it's a UCL student I was like WTF :eek3:
I had no idea terrorists were recruiting from UK unis! This scares me a little as UCL is the uni I want to go to next year, and if UCL has such students then there's every chance just about every other uni can have them too.

I don't like the idea of being in the presence of Al-Qaeda supporters, or even worse...Al-Qaeda members! :sigh:

Just imagine if students there have debates/share thoughts about the war on terror like we have on TSR, where they bad mouth the terrorists...what if the evil students are around you and hear and get super pissed :erm: they'll want to blow you up...literally :sad:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Just amazing. I wonder how many (soon-to-be) terrorists I have already seen at Lancaster.
Reply 3
I guess UCL will no longer want Nigerians students now lol.
Reply 4
I would seriously think of reconsidering my application to UCL after this incident.

I guess it will be a blow to UCL's prestige. Just imagine the admissions people who have carefully considered the guy's application and gave him an offer :O
Reply 5
Hatatitla
I would seriously reconsider my application to UCL after this incident.

I guess it will be a blow to UCL's prestige. Just imagine the admissions people who have carefully considered the guy's application and gave him an offer :O

Would love to have seen his personal statement.
Reply 6
are you serious? reconsider your application? 1 person in 40 000. ucl doesn't do background checks, funnily enough. why woudl we? the number of terrorists in the world is minature. get over it! yes it's awful but it has :snow::snow::snow::snow: ALL today with him being at ucl!

and besides, you don't know how long he's been all terroristy for. it may have only started int he last three months. he was possibly quite a normal person until very recently, so it has :snow::snow::snow::snow: all to do with the admissions people.
WHO DON'T DO BACKGROUND CHECKS! jesus, that's so stupid. why the :snow::snow::snow::snow: are you blaming ucl for this? it's not like engineering is a tiny department and the personal tutors are really close with their students, so can really keep check on how they're doing and what not. sure, that's not a good thing, that it's not as personal as say my department. but oh my god how could anybody KNOW that about a person unless they spent every five minutes around them. eurghhhaoshdaohsdoahda.
Hatatitla

that's pretty stupid really...
Reply 8
Playboy King
Tell me about it! :zomg:
When I read on The Times that it's a UCL student I was like WTF :eek3:
I had no idea terrorists were recruiting from UK unis! This scares me a little as UCL is the uni I want to go to next year, and if UCL has such students then there's every chance just about every other uni can have them too.

I don't like the idea of being in the presence of Al-Qaeda supporters, or even worse...Al-Qaeda members! :sigh:

Just imagine if students there have debates/share thoughts about the war on terror like we have on TSR, where they bad mouth the terrorists...what if the evil students are around you and hear and get super pissed :erm: they'll want to blow you up...literally :sad:

:console: At least they'll be caught then but i'm sure we'll be alright :smile: I wanna apply to UCL in the future too :yep:
Some of you are so st***d.
Reply 10
So UCL is ideal for aspiring terrorists then? Applications will go through the roof next year!
Some utterly stupid responses in this thread I'm not sure where to start...An alumini of a university commits a crime so you now no longer want to attend said university because you believe it to be a hotbed of violent extremism; that's a generalisation taken to a moronic extreme. Not only is predicting a 'loss of prestige' for UCL wrong as this does not reflect on the universitie's education of the individual involved let alone the thousands of other students, but the fact that this is the issue you are concerned with shows how ignorant you really are. The admissions people don't perform psycometric tests, interrogate or even consider political alignment; they judge academic criteria. Possible terrorists would be very difficult to diagnose at interview anyway unless they chose to discuss their violent plans.
Reply 12
Does anyone know this guy/ has seen him?
Reply 13
LMAO! Yes, please, none of you apply to UCL. :rofl:
If he had studied Chemistry, UCL's department would have plummeted down the league tables. Couldn't even make a bomb.....
Reply 15
Hatatitla

I think that UCL's admissions-tutors would seriously reconsider the application of any supposedly intelligent candidate who'd "seriously reconsider" their application on such utterly fatuous grounds.
Hatatitla

So what - Bin laden was conn to LSE, Nick Griffin is from Cambridge - Is this unviersity's fault? :confused:
apperantly he is not from UCL

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8430872.stm
He studied mechanical engineering in UCL a couple of years back and lived in a rented posh flat which probably cost a 'bomb'. LOL
Reply 19
According to UCL's statement, there was someone of a similar name as that of the person arrested today reading Mechanical Engineering between 2005-2008. They can't confirm whether this is the same individual that the Met Police have arrested today*.

In any case, it doesn't seem likely that we are dealing with a current UCL student here.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/0912/09122601

*EDIT: Or rather, the individual that was arrested in Detroit.

Latest