The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Southampton Uni Freshers week

After results day, I went into clearing but managed to secure a place at Southampton uni. I was told that there wasn't any spaces in halls left however, and as I live pretty close to the uni I was told I had to live at home. I am not looking forward to this as I feel like I will be outside of the social elements of university, especially freshers week! All the posts I have read are about freshers week being for the people living in halls.. is this true? And is there any way I can join in on freshers week whilst still living at home? I don't want to miss out!
Reply 1
Hi,

I'm in the same position as you, I have firmed my place at Southampton and won't be living in halls.

The best thing you can do is to make the best of every opportunity to meet people
during freshers week. Such as inductions meetings on your course.

Hope this helps
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
I suppose you could join in with the Private Rented JCR: https://www.facebook.com/PrivateRentedJCR
Reply 3
thankfully after a few phone calls I managed to secure a place in some halls called 'orions point'.
Thanks for your help though!
Reply 4
How did you get halls by making some phone calls :/
Good you secured a place with halls... I think you would have missed out a bit. The problem wouldn't be that fresher's events are only targeted to students living in halls, but the majority of freshers are living in halls, so obviously halls would be the place where the whole party starts and ends :wink:
Reply 6
Could always spend afew nights of freshers week staying at people's places who live in halls? ;p
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
I live in Winchester and am living at home when I come to Southampton in a couple of weeks and I'm also worried about missing out on all the parties and stuff during fresher's week! Anyone else living at home??
I'm sure many people will be living at home, but there are ways around it.

For those who live in Winchester there is of course the Night Bus which runs three or four times in the early hours.

For those living in the city itself though you either have the option of getting a taxi home or arranging to stay with a friend in Halls after a night out!
Reply 9
Just a bit of a struggle in Freshers cause I won't really know anyone to stay with at first and don't want to just invite myself!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending