The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath applicant stalk 2012

Scroll to see replies

Me too! Really excited to go :biggrin: Not sure which accomodation to go for but all of it was nice so I don't really mind :smile:
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 21
Original post by rosie12
i have accepted bath as my firm to study pharmacy! :smile: anyone else done the same?

not for the same subject but pretty sure i'll put it as my firm!
Reply 22
Original post by kate_bei
not for the same subject but pretty sure i'll put it as my firm!

ah its lush isn't it :smile: what subject are you wanting to do? .x
Reply 23
Original post by rosie12
ah its lush isn't it :smile: what subject are you wanting to do? .x

yeah it's so nice! sociology :smile:. going to the open day in march just to see it again haha :biggrin: x
Reply 24
I've applied for maths & physics and got an email saying that I'll be getting an offer :biggrin: though I really want to change to just physics :s-smilie: What's the accommodation like at Bath? I live in NI and haven't been to see it :redface:
Reply 25
I applied for and got an offer for MChem Chemistry with Industrial Training, and have picked it as my insurance choice.

Someone I knew went there to study pharmacy and she said she really enjoyed it, which was partly why I applied there, but also because it's a pretty good university for chemistry :smile:

It's also in a really nice area!

Original post by Guin
I've applied for maths & physics and got an email saying that I'll be getting an offer :biggrin: though I really want to change to just physics :s-smilie: What's the accommodation like at Bath? I live in NI and haven't been to see it :redface:

I was also wondering this, but the person I knew who went there said the accomodation's pretty good - slightly more expensive than some other areas but that's to be expected. She said there's a good choice of rooms and locations relative to where the university is :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by ms607
I applied for and got an offer for MChem Chemistry with Industrial Training, and have picked it as my insurance choice.

Someone I knew went there to study pharmacy and she said she really enjoyed it, which was partly why I applied there, but also because it's a pretty good university for chemistry :smile:

It's also in a really nice area!

I was also wondering this, but the person I knew who went there said the accomodation's pretty good - slightly more expensive than some other areas but that's to be expected. She said there's a good choice of rooms and locations relative to where the university is :smile:

As long as you dont go for john wood you will be on campus so maximum of 5 minutes from your lecture. Rooms are all good, just go for what you want. Not really worth paying extra for en suite (I had one and regretted paying for it) especially woodland as showers are less powerful and rooms are much colder. I'd go for eastwood/westwood.
im trying to decide between notts and bath to study pharmacy....im soo not sure but i think im leaning towards bath coz its a bit smaller and seems a really nice atmosphere :smile:
Original post by James A
applying for pharmacy! they still haven't given me an interview!! loads of applications get received by bath, especially for pharmacy!

We meet again.

Well, they did call it a "stalk" thread. :wink: Just kidding, saw you on the UEA thread as well. Took Bath ages to reply to me, but they offered me an interview this week. Can't be long now before you hear, I reckon. :smile:

Also, anyone else still going to be 17 when they get there? I'm studying in Scotland atm so I'll be leaving school a year earlier than I would have if I still lived in England. Get the feeling I'm going to be the baby of the gang...:lol:
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
We meet again.

Well, they did call it a "stalk" thread. :wink: Just kidding, saw you on the UEA thread as well. Took Bath ages to reply to me, but they offered me an interview this week. Can't be long now before you hear, I reckon. :smile:

Also, anyone else still going to be 17 when they get there? I'm studying in Scotland atm so I'll be leaving school a year earlier than I would have if I still lived in England. Get the feeling I'm going to be the baby of the gang...:lol:

i would have just turned 18 when arriving at uni. im one of the younger ones of my year :teehee:
Original post by James A
i would have just turned 18 when arriving at uni. im one of the younger ones of my year :teehee:

I'm not even the youngest in my year, there's a boy 6 months younger than me. He's really smart, but it must suck to be him. But I'll be 17 for my first term of uni, which is annoying but it could be worse. I'm quite short though, I'll make tall friends and just hide behind them when I want to get in anywhere. :wink:
I'm at Bath (doing Psych) if anyone has any questions :smile:
Original post by Flippin-Mad
I'm at Bath (doing Psych) if anyone has any questions :smile:

what accomadation did u go for in your first year? i think i want an ensuite but im not sure and do u know which ones hav wifi?

also just....what's it like at bath? :biggrin:
Original post by Jessica.Jane23
what accomadation did u go for in your first year? i think i want an ensuite but im not sure and do u know which ones hav wifi?

also just....what's it like at bath? :biggrin:

I was in Solsbury, for me the ensuite was worth it but that's a personal preference really I know other people who also thought it was worth it but also some who wished they'd saved a bit of money and gone for westwood or something. From the people I knew in west/east/norwood it was very unusual for them to have to wait for a shower or whatever because like people on different courses had different timings etc so it's more a matter of if you mind sharing with strangers tbh. One thing I would say is personally I don't think woodland is worth it unless you absolutely can't live without a bigger bed because the rooms are a bit bigger but the ensuite is pretty much identical the kitchens are a bit bigger but you are sharing with a lot more people, the only real benefit is some of them have like a sofa in their living bit but some of the ground floor ones don't even have that so personally I wouldn't pay the extra for it think better of having more money to live on!

Wifi I'm not certain they brought it into marl/sols a few weeks before we left so they definitely have it Norwood probably can get it because they are basically on parade. I think woodland has it. I'm not certain about east and westwood but it might same on bath accommodation website.

I really like Bath the campus and university generally is quite small compared to most others but that means that within a few weeks it's quite unusual to go anywhere on campus with out seeing someone you at least know well enough to like smile/say hi which makes it feel quite friendly. But there's still everything you really need there, maybe not as much variety as some other bigger unis but for me I think it's worth while. The main parade really isn't the prettiest of places but it's quite handy as everything is near together and also whilst the main buildings aren't so nice the surrounding area is sooo pretty the lake with the ducks is nice and a little walk from campus there is sham castle like a little castle wall thing (not a proper castle they built them at some point to look pretty because of post modernism I think) and if you go there you can look across the city which is really nice, and definitely worth exploring if you come here! The city itself is really pretty quite small but has definitely improved shop wise since they built southgate, but there are still quite a lot of individual type places along the side streets. It doesn't have as much variety for food/shops/clubs as you would get in a bigger city but it has a nice feel to it is safer than a lot of cities and has everything you need. There are still different student nights every night (apart from sundays) at various clubs if you're bothered by that. I think it's very much a personal preference thing again though I love it, I'm from a very small town so to me it's still quite big and lots to do, and I like how friendly and pretty it is. But if you're a big city person then it might not be for you.
Reply 34
Just a general bit of information about Bath :smile: I'm here studying French and Politics and i'm living in Eastwood. There are two 'levels' of Eastwood, the ones with sinks and the bedrooms and ones without. You pay more for the sink and you get laminate wood floor and the shower and loo set up is nicer (in my opinion) than in the rooms without sinks. Having said that, it's not like the houses with rooms without sinks are appalling. They make up for the slightly outdated decoration by having generally larger rooms.
All accommodation has wifi now so that's wonderful! I live in a house with 12 other people and I have never once had to wait for the loo or the shower. It's just never happened. My housemates and i aren't particularly close but there are so many societies here that you meet people with the same interests as you so quickly, there's barely any time to feel socially awkward about anything.
The university itself is just the right size. Small enough so you don't get lost in the bureaucracy, but big enough so that you can if you want to! Joblink were really helpful when I was looking for a job and found me one at the uni shop which is completely flexible and the people are awesome.
It's pretty sporty here but don't let that put you off. I'm one of the least sporty people you'll ever meet and i've still loved my first semester here.
Anything else you need to know don't hesitate to ask!
Original post by Boycie
Just a general bit of information about Bath :smile: I'm here studying French and Politics and i'm living in Eastwood. There are two 'levels' of Eastwood, the ones with sinks and the bedrooms and ones without. You pay more for the sink and you get laminate wood floor and the shower and loo set up is nicer (in my opinion) than in the rooms without sinks. Having said that, it's not like the houses with rooms without sinks are appalling. They make up for the slightly outdated decoration by having generally larger rooms.
All accommodation has wifi now so that's wonderful! I live in a house with 12 other people and I have never once had to wait for the loo or the shower. It's just never happened. My housemates and i aren't particularly close but there are so many societies here that you meet people with the same interests as you so quickly, there's barely any time to feel socially awkward about anything.
The university itself is just the right size. Small enough so you don't get lost in the bureaucracy, but big enough so that you can if you want to! Joblink were really helpful when I was looking for a job and found me one at the uni shop which is completely flexible and the people are awesome.
It's pretty sporty here but don't let that put you off. I'm one of the least sporty people you'll ever meet and i've still loved my first semester here.
Anything else you need to know don't hesitate to ask!

What's studying French there like?
Reply 36
I'm in my second year studying Sociology- any prospective applicants need any help, about Bath or the degree, don't hesitate to ask :smile: I am the President of the Social and Policy Sciences society, and will be around on the Open days in Feb and March, speaking and offering tours of the department and campus :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by 23stan
I'm in my second year studying Sociology- any prospective applicants need any help, about Bath or the degree, don't hesitate to ask :smile: I am the President of the Social and Policy Sciences society, and will be around on the Open days in Feb and March, speaking and offering tours of the department and campus :smile:

oh i've applied to do sociology! pretty sure i will put bath as my firm choice but just looking round all the unis again just to be certain!
do you enjoy sociology at bath? also whats the assessment methods like? was talking to the admissions tutor but it's still quite vague. do you have coursework or anyything like that or is a lot of it exams/presentations? also when it says 'individual presentations' does that mean you presenting to a whole lecture theatre worth?!
also which accomodation are you in/would you recommend?
i'm coming to the open day on the 7th so might see you there!
Reply 38
Original post by kate_bei
oh i've applied to do sociology! pretty sure i will put bath as my firm choice but just looking round all the unis again just to be certain!
do you enjoy sociology at bath? also whats the assessment methods like? was talking to the admissions tutor but it's still quite vague. do you have coursework or anyything like that or is a lot of it exams/presentations? also when it says 'individual presentations' does that mean you presenting to a whole lecture theatre worth?!
also which accomodation are you in/would you recommend?
i'm coming to the open day on the 7th so might see you there!

Oh I really enjoy it :smile: It's such a diverse and interesting course, second year modules I'm doing now are much more interesting than first year, as you have to learn most of the basic introductory modules in freshers. The assessment methods range from essays and reports to exams and presentations. It may be subject to change, but it's mostly coursework in first year, and I only did one presentation. Second year, you will be doing more exams, but I think that's due to a greater number of optional units available to choose. If you do an 'individual presentation' then I think you either do it to a seminar class e.g 15-20 people or they often split the lecture group into three, and you do your presentation to a smaller audience.

In freshers, I stayed in Westwood, which was small and fairly basic. It was however very cheap, so that's why I stayed there! If you get a chance, have a look at either Woodland Court (top of the range) or Solsbury/Marlborough Courts. Rooms here are much bigger, and more modern! I was very jealous of all that stayed in these blocks :P

Hope I have been useful! :smile:
Original post by ccfcadam36
got an offer for maths and they want 2 A's, 90% sure it's going to be my firm, i loved it on the open day and i'm going to see it again on 29th feb.

OOH, another maths person. I've got an A*AA offer from them AND I'll be there on the 29th :biggrin: First visit though. Also visiting Exeter on March 7th to make sure I'm making the right uni choice.

Original post by tehsponge
I go there and its awesome. :awesome:

*probes with questions*

Possibly going to firm for maths - the modules look great. Distance between the campus and the city looks pretty big, what's it like practicality wise? Also, I've been to Bath a couple of times, it's pretty big too - ever got lost? Because I seriously think I will. :tongue:

Also, nobody who I've asked yet knows anything about shooting, yet the prospectus mentions it. I love shooting, and was wondering if you knew anything about the shooting there. .22, .762, .556, shotgun, air rifle etc. /odd questions

Quick Reply

Latest