The Student Room Group

M&S Graduate Scheme 2012

Is anyone else applying for this? I've got up to the Numerical Reasoning Test but I found the practice really difficult and only got 2 out of 8 questions correct so I'm putting off actually doing it. My friend passed it and said the practice is harder than the actual test but I'm still worried.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I applied last year and was rejected. I knew i would be because I thought the maths test was really hard. I've done maths tests before for graduate buying roles and done quite well so i was surprised they made this one so difficult. I actually thought a lot of the questions were irrelevant or too advanced for someone just starting out but who knows.

I've done the same as you. I'm up to that stage again and frankly can't be bothered to finish the application cos I know I'll fail it. I just kinda think its maybe not for me...
Reply 2
I just did it and found it really hard compared to others I've done. But don't let it put you off, there's no harm in trying!
Reply 3
I did it, failed, but got an email today saying they're going to process with my application anyway. I'm applying for placements so might be a little different, but I'm really thrown off by the job title - is retail selling the same as retail management, or what are the differences? There was no job description in the vacancy box, so that didn't help either!
I just got invited tot he assessment centre stage. I got to thsi stage last year so am hoping my experience will help me. It is TOUGH though!!
Reply 5
Original post by Idrink2muchcoffee
I just got invited tot he assessment centre stage. I got to thsi stage last year so am hoping my experience will help me. It is TOUGH though!!

What did they ask you in the assessments and interview last year?
Reply 6
Hi, I've got my phone interview for a buying grad role coming up. Does anyone have any tips or advice?
Reply 7
Is anyone else finding that the M&S scheme is incredibly slow to respond to you? A month and a bit after the closing date (I submitted my application in early oct) and I'm still yet to hear anything. Is anyone else in the same boat as me?
Reply 8
Hey guys, I've applied for the retail seller scheme and have still heard nothing! Has anyone been contacted yet? I have got the usual 'managers are looking at your application' message on the assessment centre site but that's it.
Reply 9

Hey i hope you dont mind me asking, have you had your assessment centre yet?

Is it for a placement year or graduate scheme?
Reply 10
Original post by cha4zz
Is anyone else finding that the M&S scheme is incredibly slow to respond to you? A month and a bit after the closing date (I submitted my application in early oct) and I'm still yet to hear anything. Is anyone else in the same boat as me?

Wilko13us
Hey guys, I've applied for the retail seller scheme and have still heard nothing! Has anyone been contacted yet? I have got the usual 'managers are looking at your application' message on the assessment centre site but that's it.

I've applied for logistics, did tests ages ago and also have heard nothing! :|
Reply 11
Original post by red_roses

I did it, failed, but got an email today saying they're going to process with my application anyway. I'm applying for placements so might be a little different, but I'm really thrown off by the job title - is retail selling the same as retail management, or what are the differences? There was no job description in the vacancy box, so that didn't help either!

hi hope you dont mind me asking, were you invited to an assessment centre? if so what was it like and what did you have to do?
Reply 12
I'm still waiting to hear back from them too. I applied for their retail selling scheme - working on the assumption that no news is good news....
Original post by xlorelx

Original post by xlorelx
hi hope you dont mind me asking, were you invited to an assessment centre? if so what was it like and what did you have to do?

I'm going tomorrow :s-smilie: have you been to one?
Reply 14

What sort of things did they ask you and get you to do? I have my interview on Tuesday, SO nervous!!
I applied to the Ecommerce scheme and got rejection after completing the verbal test.

Although numerical test is my fav i still passed other verbal and numerical tests such as Deloitte, and Arcadia group.

The funny thing is i work at m&s as a customer assistant and have been doing so for over 4 years now

Oh well will get something better
Reply 16

I'm going tomorrow :s-smilie: have you been to one?

Hi there how did the assessment centre go? What sort of things did they ask you/get you to do?
Fingers crossed for you! xx
Original post by sarahshosh

Original post by sarahshosh
Hi there how did the assessment centre go? What sort of things did they ask you/get you to do?
Fingers crossed for you! xx

It went okay, but it seemed to for everyone else so it's quite hard to tell. There's all sorts of stuff they test you on - role play board meetings, role play meetings with employees, planning the layout of shops. The easiest but was the interview at the end because the assessors already knew you by that point, so you didn't have to worry about making a bad first impression.
It went okay, but it seemed to for everyone else so it's quite hard to tell. There's all sorts of stuff they test you on - role play board meetings, role play meetings with employees, planning the layout of shops. The easiest but was the interview at the end because the assessors already knew you by that point, so you didn't have to worry about making a bad first impression.

I thought the easiest part was the interview also. The role play was the hardest in my opinion..how do you think yours went? Any idea how long it will take for us to hear back?

I thought the easiest part was the interview also. The role play was the hardest in my opinion..how do you think yours went? Any idea how long it will take for us to hear back?

The role play seemed easy at first, but when I actually did it I got nervous and kept forgetting what I was going to say next. Are you a placement student? I find out in a week today, scary stuff!

Quick Reply