The Student Room Group

Should not aborting mentally/physically retarded children be illegal?

Scroll to see replies

You seem to be forgetting the fact that most illnesses cannot be diagnosed in utero, and some can develop or present far later in life - do you also advocate then the murder of humans once they become ill or disabled? You realise that there's nothing stopping you from one day ending up in the very situation you seem to detest? God forbid you ever do but still ..
Original post by Tommyjw
But... then how could you have been born in order to make this thread?

Obligatory.
Original post by daisydaffodil
You seem to be forgetting the fact that most illnesses cannot be diagnosed in utero, and some can develop or present far later in life - do you also advocate then the murder of humans once they become ill or disabled? You realise that there's nothing stopping you from one day ending up in the very situation you seem to detest? God forbid you ever do but still ..

There was a story recently where someone advocated this.:mad: Actually, I think they said once the baby is born they should be killed. As someone who is physically and mentally disabled, I find this insulting.

Given that some disabilities aren't life threatening and many do go on to live a normal life, it makes no sense at all.
Reply 43
Original post by lambert1

Against
- Life begins at conception and it is therefore murder.

Very debatable.

In fact that law currently states that the baby isn't 'alive' till it takes its first independent breath free from its mothers womb.

My view is that till the 24 week limit for abortions (I believe that to be the case), the baby is a bunch of parasitic cells for which the mother has full jurisdiction over.
(edited 12 years ago)
Its funny how it never occurs to people like you that a retarded person may actually be better at something than you. He may be able to play beautiful music, he may be a brilliant political analyst or he may invent something which revolutionizes the way humans live.

stephenhawkings.jpg

/thread.
Original post by Black Bullet
Its funny how it never occurs to people like you that a retarded person may actually be better at something than you. He may be able to play beautiful music, he may be a brilliant political analyst or he may invent something which revolutionizes the way humans live.

stephenhawkings.jpg

/thread.

Exactly. Having a disability doesn't make you stupid.
I actually can't quite believe what I'm reading maybe I'm biased as the mother of 2 severely physically disabled children, but my boys have a fabulous quality of life, both acquired their brain injuries shortly after birth, my eldest is and always will be wheelchair bound, however his intelligence and memory challenge any able bodied child we have ever met, I have no doubt that he will lead an independent and successful life despite the fact that he is fed through a tube and reliant on a powered chair to get around. My baby will also probably never walk and is dependant on oxygen, I also see no reason as to why he would become a 'drain on society'.
It seems ludicrous to suggest terminating disabled babies without giving them the chance to show the world what they are capable of! No ultrasound imaging can give you a clear picture of a baby's potential, I was advised that my son would be a vegetable if he survived, he is now due to start mainstream school and do most of the things a 'normal' child can do.
I find some of the comments here truly disturbing and it really is no wonder that there is still so much discrimination in the world today.
I wonder how many of you actually have experience of disability?

There are some disabilities you can't detect during pregnancy. And what happens to people like me? I have been diagnosed with various disabilities, (one of which can kill and another can cause complications if left untreated) for which no-one really knows the prognosis. Some will have no problems at all and some will have serious problems and won't live normal lives.

Are people seriously suggesting we kill those who have disabilities which have very little effect on them?
It depends what retardation we're talking about surely ?

Dyslexia - definitely should not be killed - perfectly normal people who can be very intelligent
Severe Autism - makes life difficult for all those around them and would not usually be regarded as a decent quality of life.

However some retardations aren't so mild in some cases relative to others, that aborting every cerebral paulsey etc foetus may not be for the best in a significant number of cases?

However, fat ugly dumb chavs often have far too many children, but there will always been an exceptional child of such parents who makes us reconsider forced abortion (eugenics). But these sort of people are probably a bigger threat to society dues to the number.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by Black Bullet

stephenhawkings.jpg

/thread.

Good point :cool:
Can people please stop using the term retarded? It's a derogatory term.
Original post by Tommyjw

PRSOM

Original post by lambert1

Against
- Life begins at conception and it is therefore murder.
- They have a right to life.
- It isn't the state's decision.
- Lots of great people have been retarded.

Discuss.

Debatable
Original post by Tommyjw

Out of Rep; but I love you for this

Can people please stop using the term retarded? It's a derogatory term.

This, it's making me feel uncomfortable.

What about people who are born perfectly normal and then through an accident or whatever become disabled, should we just kill them? And how disabled are we talking? Should we kill deaf people? Or blind people?
Original post by tu_es_jolie_x

What about people who are born perfectly normal and then through an accident or whatever become disabled, should we just kill them? And how disabled are we talking? Should we kill deaf people? Or blind people?

Exactly. A line must be drawn somewhere.

And if we do kill disabled people, why and how the hell would that be acceptable?
Original post by OU Student
Exactly. A line must be drawn somewhere.

And if we do kill disabled people, why and how the hell would that be acceptable?

It wouldn't be. And if we aborting disabled babies becauase they are more dependent on the state than the average person, so we abort the poor as well? This person is stupid.
This is pure murder (in the moral sense, obviously.) But worse things have been done by totalitarian governments- China killed HEALTHY babies through forcible terminations, often after viability, to keep their one child policy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending