The Student Room Group

Really want to be barstaff -.-

I really want to do this as a part time job. Legally, a 16 year old (me) can get a job behind a bar provided they're supervised by a senior member of staff but I'm wondering if people actually hire under 18s for this?
I would highly doubt anyone would hire you - they want to leave staff members to get on with it, not constantly supervise them.
Reply 2
I wouldnt expect so, because you're under 18 another member of staff would have to approve every sale for you. This means you wouldnt be able to sell anything by yourself and therefore wouldn't really be useful as an additional member of staff.

Although maybe you could find a bar that also serves food and wait tables until you are old enough to serve at the bar? As you would already be part of the business they would probably be willing to let you change once you are 18 :smile:
I got my first bar job at sixteen. And despite what the poster above said, yes they would higher you, although you are more likely to get a job serving drinks on the floor rather than behind the bar.

Saying that I would seriously advise against getting a bar job, they are severely underpaid, the hours are unsociable, the customers are drunken ****ers, the shifts are long and the managers are *****. Trust me you're better off working in a supermarket where you get paid more to do two thirds of the work. Bar work seems cool and glamerous but the reality is dissapointing.
Reply 4
"Supervise" in this sense means they are responsible for what you do. They don't need to approve every sale, but if you sell alcohol to an under 18 for instance, then it is the "supervisor" that gets in trouble for it, not you.
Reply 5
Original post by Sir Digby Chicken
I got my first bar job at sixteen. And despite what the poster above said, yes they would higher you, although you are more likely to get a job serving drinks on the floor rather than behind the bar.

Saying that I would seriously advise against getting a bar job, they are severely underpaid, the hours are unsociable, the customers are drunken ****ers, the shifts are long and the managers are *****. Trust me you're better off working in a supermarket where you get paid more to do two thirds of the work. Bar work seems cool and glamerous but the reality is dissapointing.

Yeah but I just want to give it a go tbh. How did you get the job?
Original post by Miracle Day
Yeah but I just want to give it a go tbh. How did you get the job?

I just went round all the bars and hotels/restaurants in my area asking if they had jobs going. Ended up getting my first job in a hotel bar. Getting jobs in bars is far more casual and far easier than getting one in large companies and franchises. I've had 5 different bar jobs and never once had a formal interview. I litterally walked into an establishment asked if they had any vaccancies, had a little chat with the manager and was asked to start whenever I could. You might be asked for a trial shift, but providing you don't have a mental breakdown you'll get it. Bars aren't that picky when it comes to employees, it's basically first come first serve.

But despite this I would still seriously advise against bar work, it's dreadful. Trust me get a job in a supermarket.
There are a few under 18s in the rugby club near me, but I doubt many decent places will hire them really.
Reply 8
You're unlikely to be hired if you're under 18, it's too much hassle for the management to allow someone under that age to serve alcohol. Where I work, all the under 18s get put in the kitchen at the back to help with food.
Should be no problem. I do bar work, I did at 16, worked behind the bar serving drinks. No worries.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending