The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

FaceParty

I must say, I am quite disgusted by the actions of this website. I've been a member since November 2001 and today I go to login for the first time in a couple of weeks to be greeted with this:

http://www.faceparty.com/missing_account.aspx?aid=334

Apparently my account has been deleted. They can apparently delete accounts for any reason they choose to; something I already knew but you never expect such a site to actually do such a thing. I assume I was deleted because I am 24 and thus I'm not welcome on the site any more. I think it's a very disgusting way to treat members who helped build their website into the popularity it has today. There was only about 160k members when I signed up.

Has anyone else had their account deleted presumably because you're an old man/woman now in internet terms? I didn't even realise the law had changed for these sites. Can you imagine if FaceBook and MySpace start excluding people over 21 or whatever age FaceParty are deleting people at? I think there would be an outrage.

Scroll to see replies

Did you have a picture up?

I used to have a profile on there that I had cleared off so it would be deleted, but got an email through about it saying they were deleting all picture-less profiles within 2 weeks..
as if anyone still uses faceparty - it was one of those things that everyone had back in 2001 when I was 14 to show randoms in chatrooms pics of yourself!

Oh the shame...
Reply 3
I wouldn't be too worried cos its an awful site now. But I can see where you're coming from.
Reply 4
I had about 12 pictures up and full profile content. The only things to differentiate me between other members are things like age, gender, sexuality etc. Pretty sure it was due to my age considering the page you get directed to it all about older members being deleted. It mentions over 36s but the truth is they're secretly deleting younger people than that too.
Reply 5
hannah_dru
I wouldn't be too worried cos its an awful site now. But I can see where you're coming from.

I agree, it has always been an awful site. They had the chance to become massive like MySpace but they placed so many restrictions on what people could do in order to generate subscriptions but people just turned away from the website when places like MySpace came about.

I am just disappointed that the new ownership of the site are so ageist and that I no longer have an account that's nearly 7 years old.
Reply 6
"must say, I am quite disgusted by the actions of this website."

lol hardcore you feel very strongly bout this issue
Reply 7
_khan
"must say, I am quite disgusted by the actions of this website."

lol hardcore you feel very strongly bout this issue

I think everyone should. What if MySpace and FaceBook decide to do the same? Those sites are a much bigger part of our lives, especially the latter. Then again FaceParty has always had odd management. The police have been investigating the site for a while.
Reply 8
Sephiroth
I agree, it has always been an awful site. They had the chance to become massive like MySpace but they placed so many restrictions on what people could do in order to generate subscriptions but people just turned away from the website when places like MySpace came about.

I am just disappointed that the new ownership of the site are so ageist and that I no longer have an account that's nearly 7 years old.

It was a complete rip-off yeah, that's why I gave up years ago. Plus I agree with something someone said in a thread about a week ago- that its now just a place to sell yourself for sex.

It's pretty dodgy that they're doing that, cos they're just leaving younger people around who end up having to deal with what I already mentioned. Eww. They say they're safe and clean but they're not.
Reply 9
It's a crap website, I was a member once. But, got out of there quick.
That is kinda grim D:
FaceParty and FacePic ... oh the memories :biggrin:
oh god I remember that site. It was chav central back in the day :p:
Reply 14
Woo, my account is still up and running. 284 visitors in over 4 years, how cool am I?

hannah_dru
that its now just a place to sell yourself for sex.

It is? :eek2: :vroam:
Reply 15
FaceParty is perverted.

I had an account 3 years ago when i was 14, my god the messages i got :s:
SuperDaz
Woo, my account is still up and running. 284 visitors in over 4 years, how cool am I?

It is? :eek2: :vroam:

It seems like to me...last time I was on there it was just pics of girls in their bras or old blokes sending me messages. Urgh.
Reply 17
The funny part is they don't even know the law, if you read the page I linked.

"New government legislation means we need to check older users on the sex offenders list. This legislation is based upon checking email addresses against a government provided list."

This was talked about recently in the news but it is not a law yet.

"Any person who lies about their age on the Internet is committing a crime under the sex offenders act. It is a criminal offence to pretend you are younger than you really are online. Offenders will be banned and reported to the police. Older users who have been deleted must NOT create new accounts pretending to be younger as that will result in criminal prosecution and you will be placed on the sex offenders register."

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect too. Many people lie about their age online, most because they don't want to give out their real DoB.
Reply 18
hannah_dru
It seems like to me...last time I was on there it was just pics of girls in their bras or old blokes sending me messages. Urgh.

I think it used to be the case that a 16 or 17 year old could put naked pictures of themselves on there, which is illegal. I think this is why the police were investigating the site. The site is very pervy and instead of accepting the blame for their failures they're trying to make it look like older users are the problem. If the site was targeted at just teens they wouldn't have paid features for over 18s.

Their signup page is quite amusing too.

"With our doors open to everyone, this site was attracting too many spammers, fakers, pervs, liars, haters, nobs, pedos, over-50's-using-it-as-a-dating-site-cos-they-have-to-pay-for-match.com's, and most of all... too many friggin' moaners! We'd spend all day deleting them, but alas (aarrggghh!) they'd only return the next day. Not anymore... problem solved. Hooray!

...and besides, we'd rather be the best than the biggest.

You need to be invited by someone-in-the-know ...and you certainly won't be getting a password by pestering us, so please stop! We gotta get tough, cos if we're not, this place 'aint gonna rock... and if there's one last thing on this crazy planet we're gonna do? it's see this place ROCK!

Yay!!! Type that supa-secret password in the box below, between the hours of midnight and 1am, to go to the new member application form. You will need a digital photo of yourself in order to join. "

Quite funny. Not only does it look like a 10 year old wrote that, do they really think doing that will keep "spammers, fakers, pervs, liars, haters, nobs, pedos, over-50's, moaners" off the site?
How often did you login to your account?

Latest

Trending

Trending