The Student Room Group

Hazard perception tips?

I'm in desparate need of some help on hazard percetpion. I have my theory test tommorow and only started revising last night, which i highly regret now. I have this AA programme which is pretty good. I've done 3 practice theory tests and have passed them every time. However ive taken 3 practice hazard perception tests and have got 50% on all of them. I need to get 59% to pass.

Can someone give me any hints for this, and tell me what sort of things i should look out for. I always see about 5 hazards per clip and click for all of them, so im not sure if im clicking for the right things.

-Do i click if i just see a person walking on the pavement but whos not looking behind him like hes about to cross over?
-Do i click if theres a parked car on my side of the road?
-Do i click if i come to a zebra crossing but no-ones there?

Any help appreciated!
Reply 1
The way the hazard perception works is a bit funny but it really is just like playing a game. First you need to know how they score it, and you'll probably be a bit miffed to hear that they only score 1 hazard per clip, and the scoring for that goes 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 counting back. So for example, if you see an articulated lorry look like he's ABOUT to do a U turn across the dual carrigeway, you would click. When he actually starts to perform the U turn and cause the video driver to change speed / direction then click again as the hazard has developed.

The best advice I can give is that when you see the hazard developing, click twice, one second after each other to make sure you get inside the scoring window. Even if both clicks are inside the window, the highest one will count.

Don't go mad clicking, and I'm sure you'll be fine.
if theres anything you have to think 'should i click for that?' then click. same as when you are driving you would see them and think 'are they going to do something that is going to intefere with me' You wont be penalised for clicking for too many things as long as it is not consistent mouse clicking every second. If you see something you are unsure of, click.
Reply 3
nugiboy
I'm in desparate need of some help on hazard percetpion. I have my theory test tommorow and only started revising last night, which i highly regret now. I have this AA programme which is pretty good. I've done 3 practice theory tests and have passed them every time. However ive taken 3 practice hazard perception tests and have got 50% on all of them. I need to get 59% to pass.

Can someone give me any hints for this, and tell me what sort of things i should look out for. I always see about 5 hazards per clip and click for all of them, so im not sure if im clicking for the right things.

-Do i click if i just see a person walking on the pavement but whos not looking behind him like hes about to cross over?
-Do i click if theres a parked car on my side of the road?
-Do i click if i come to a zebra crossing but no-ones there?

Any help appreciated!

From website:http://www.2pass.co.uk/faqhazard.htm

Q What Hazards Are We Looking For?

A Look for events occurring in front of the car such as:-
School crossing and bus waiting with children crossing road
Breakdown vehicle on bend
Vans parked with hazard warning lights on
Cyclist on country road
Vehicle doing U turn on brow of hill
Furniture vans parked on bend (door open) with oncoming traffic
Green traffic light turns on approach
Parked vehicles/road works
Look for something joining the car's path such as:-
Car emerging from left
Stray dog by kerb
Zebra crossing with pedestrians crossing
Vehicle emerges from left in road dip
Pedestrian trying to cross road
Car looking as though it may join traffic from right
Woman with pushchair ready to cross road
Blind man with dog by kerb
Vehicle edging out of side road from right
Zebra crossing with pedestrian crossing
Bus pulling out
Car late stopping at left hand junction
Look for event occurring in the opposite traffic such as:-
Vehicle turning right across traffic
Car stopping in road to collect passenger
Parked car and oncoming car

Goodluck!
Reply 4
Did you pass?
Reply 5
Yep i got 46 on the Theory and i can't remember my hazard perception mark but i did pass it.
I really didn't think i'd passed because i didn't even pass 1 practice one before at home.

Thanks for the help!

Latest

Trending

Trending